Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I received my A2 results today which were biology (B), chemistry (C), history (C) when I was expecting ABB respectively. I was thinking about not going to uni even if I did get in but now I haven't..it doesn't look like I have much choice. I can't find a course in clearing with those grades so I am considering taking a gap year and resitting to reapply next year. I was just wondering what alternatives are there were with these less than ideal grades?

ReputationRep:
    Did you perform strongly at GCSE?

Were you working well throughout the year?

Did you expect these grades or are they a shock?

Do you feel you underperformed, were ill-prepared or was just plain lazy?

Do you know which sector you'd like to enter?

How will not having a degree affect your short-medium term future and what rate of career progression would you like?

Would you prefer to still develop more socially as there's not another time in your life the government is going to give you money to experience such a moment?

Many questions. You need to take a step back and plan. A gap year would be my advice. Give you a chance to sit down and consider things and what step is the right step.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    Did you perform strongly at GCSE?

Were you working well throughout the year?

Did you expect these grades or are they a shock?

Do you feel you underperformed, were ill-prepared or was just plain lazy?

Do you know which sector you'd like to enter?

How will not having a degree affect your short-medium term future and what rate of career progression would you like?

Would you prefer to still develop more socially as there's not another time in your life the government is going to give you money to experience such a moment?

Many questions. You need to take a step back and plan. A gap year would be my advice. Give you a chance to sit down and consider things and what step is the right step.
    2A*s 5As and 3Bs which I also feel I under performed in

They were a complete shock to the point where I checked it was my name on the envelope

I thought I was prepared but obviously not..

I'd like to go into chemistry or biology which you need a degree and a masters

I'm just worried i'll be looked down on if I take 3 years to complete a levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minthumbugs)
    2A*s 5As and 3Bs which I also feel I under performed in

They were a complete shock to the point where I checked it was my name on the envelope

I thought I was prepared but obviously not..

I'd like to go into chemistry or biology which you need a degree and a masters

I'm just worried i'll be looked down on if I take 3 years to complete a levels
    youll only be rejected by the uk top 5. Other than that, you're most likely going to be accepted. Pick yourself up and hit the restart button and if you work towards your goals in 364 days time youll be celebrating with AAA/AAB and going to a uni of your choice.

I personally think it just takes will power to get through education. Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    youll only be rejected by the uk top 5. Other than that, you're most likely going to be accepted. Pick yourself up and hit the restart button and if you work towards your goals in 364 days time youll be celebrating with AAA/AAB and going to a uni of your choice.

I personally think it just takes will power to get through education. Best of luck
    I guess UCL is out of the question? I've emailed my school and they've said I can resit I just need to let them know by jan. I need to sit down and work out what I need to resit and get started I suppose! Thanks for this, it's really motivated me

ReputationRep:
    I guess UCL is out of the question? I've emailed my school and they've said I can resit I just need to let them know by jan. I need to sit down and work out what I need to resit and get started I suppose! Thanks for this, it's really motivated me
    Most probably, yes. Without extenuating circumstances. Unis out of question will be

UCL/Imperial/Ox/Camb I'd say

Although give UCL a call and see what they say. They might just ask you to do better than their entry for 2014 applicants - like 1 grade up on their usual offer, so maybe something like A*AA.

But everything else is easily open to you provided personal statement is good and you can hopefully put something useful in it that will sway them that you did something useful in your gap year.

ReputationRep:
    Most probably, yes. Without extenuating circumstances. Unis out of question will be

UCL/Imperial/Ox/Camb I'd say

Although give UCL a call and see what they say. They might just ask you to do better than their entry for 2014 applicants - like 1 grade up on their usual offer, so maybe something like A*AA.

But everything else is easily open to you provided personal statement is good and you can hopefully put something useful in it that will sway them that you did something useful in your gap year.
    I will contact them but I'm not holding out much hope! On the pharmacy page on the website I think it said the offer goes up for resit candidates which is fair.

I'm going to try to start a business, carry on with work experience at a chemist and revise for resits. Would this be productive enough?

Thanks again for your help

ReputationRep:
    I will contact them but I'm not holding out much hope! On the pharmacy page on the website I think it said the offer goes up for resit candidates which is fair.

I'm going to try to start a business, carry on with work experience at a chemist and revise for resits. Would this be productive enough?

Thanks again for your help
    I'd say so yeah It's somewhat related to what you want to do and it'll show you have some passion, determination and courage.

It's normal for resit candidates to get into anything bar those I mentioned.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.