Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feel I should be ashamed of my new higher sex drive Watch

ReputationRep:
    Despite my being on Fluoxetine, most days I have a very healthy sex drive. However I feel ashamed of this because I think it fuels some of my vanity/body image issues

For example the 'sexy' feeling I get is part of what motivates me to eat well, go to the gym, get lots of sleep and generally do things to feel attractive
    I feel really bad about this though, there are far more important things oout there and I'm just sitting here getting horny

Is it normal to be horny when I'm a 20 year old male and should I feel bad about this? I'd talk about it to my mum except it's embarrassing, I was too embarrassed to tell the doctor, and my grandparents are here now but I can imagine how that goes

ReputationRep:
    Hey, if it's making you be healthy, then it's definitely a good thing, and hey, you're basically at prime time for it.
    BE PROUD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameliestia)
    Hey, if it's making you be healthy, then it's definitely a good thing, and hey, you're basically at prime time for it.
    BE PROUD
    Everyone says that but the doctor who saw me today seems to be worried I'm going down the eating disorder route :/

I didn't mention the sex drive bit with her though, just wanting to take protein shakes

(Original post by Riku)
      Everyone says that but the doctor who saw me today seems to be worried I'm going down the eating disorder route :/

I didn't mention the sex drive bit with her though, just wanting to take protein shakes
      Why so does the doctor think that?

And sex drive bit with her?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Riku)
      Is it normal to be horny when I'm a 20 year old male
      ****. yes.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by S-man10)
      Why so does the doctor think that?

And sex drive bit with her?
      Because she's never talked to me before, I have a history of it related to anxiety/OCD and they came out as I started asking about whether she minded me taking shakes.
      I really struggle to say exactly what I mean
      'sex drive bit': I feel hornier when I'm exercising/following healthy habits, and better when I have a higher sex drive. More 'manly' thus confident

Unfortunately this also changes my body (possibly results in weight loss/cut) makes me worry it's for the wrong reasons :/

(Original post by Riku)
        Because she's never talked to me before, I have a history of it related to anxiety/OCD and they came out as I started asking about whether she minded me taking shakes.
        I really struggle to say exactly what I mean
        'sex drive bit': I feel hornier when I'm exercising/following healthy habits, and better when I have a higher sex drive. More 'manly' thus confident

Unfortunately this also changes my body (possibly results in weight loss/cut) makes me worry it's for the wrong reasons :/
        I sense you mean you worry if your partner may not like you taking protein shakes? there is nothing wrong with them.

And to be honest, working out and eating healthy does have a positive effect on testosterone so it is to be expected. And to say if it is normal to have a sex drive as a 20 year old is like asking is it normal to be a man...

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by S-man10)
        I sense you mean you worry if your partner may not like you taking protein shakes? there is nothing wrong with them.

And to be honest, working out and eating healthy does have a positive effect on testosterone so it is to be expected. And to say if it is normal to have a sex drive as a 20 year old is like asking is it normal to be a man...
        More specifically I've grown into a role where my mum is superior and I place others on a pedestal, testosterone might undo this and make me more likely to be rebellious and confrontational. It might also make me more arrogant. At worst it could make me a stereotypical douchebag. Surely it's better to be tired, down and anxious than that?

Yes I know, I'm scared of being a naughty boy basically 0_0

and I'm also ashamed of being a sexualised adult. And an independently thinking one. Hence why I have to keep going back to the doctors or on the boards to ask Is this Normal? Is it OK?

tbh, I'm just scared of sex. I have big intimacy issues. I haven't said but I'm worried that my partner (hypothetically I mean, not my current gf where we're in a no sex before marriage thing) could come and slit my throat in my sleep. But I still want to be able to feel sexy, even if that means look a bit 'sexier' to myself (which suggests bad body image which is a problem :/ )

Also I feel bad about it because I obsess about it for ^^^^ the above reason

ReputationRep:
        I'm a Christian who had a spiritual crisis through his MH issues if that's of any relevance. I think I might unconsciously believe sex is a sin etc. :/

ReputationRep:
        There is absolutely nothing wrong with having sexual feelings. It is totally normal and totally healthy. Your increased sex drive when you exercise lots and eat healthily may simply be a physical benefit of looking after yourself well, however if your doctor is concerned that you may have an eating disorder then you need to carefully consider whether you have an unhealthy compulsion to exercise excessively and restrict/control your diet. If you have tied your self worth to meeting exercise targets and eating clean then it is perfectly possible that when you feel you are successfully controlling these things that you feel sexier and feel you have higher worth. Looking after yourself is a good thing, but just be careful that it doesn't start to control your life

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Riku)

Do you mean you feel the need to take them out of moderation and unnecessarily? It's okay to have them in moderation...

ReputationRep:
        When you start looking after your health, it's natural to experience increased sex drive as well a sense of wellbeing i.e. feeling sexier. Chronic anxiety is generally no good for you. If looking after yourself while at the same time relieving anxiety means you might get more aggressive in your personality then you should just roll with it I reckon, and see if it has any negative effects on your relationships with family and friends.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by tibbles209)
        There is absolutely nothing wrong with having sexual feelings. It is totally normal and totally healthy. Your increased sex drive when you exercise lots and eat healthily may simply be a physical benefit of looking after yourself well, however if your doctor is concerned that you may have an eating disorder then you need to carefully consider whether you have an unhealthy compulsion to exercise excessively and restrict/control your diet. If you have tied your self worth to meeting exercise targets and eating clean then it is perfectly possible that when you feel you are successfully controlling these things that you feel sexier and feel you have higher worth. Looking after yourself is a good thing, but just be careful that it doesn't start to control your life
        It's not that my self-worth is based off eating clean or exercising, it's just I feel better when I manage to hit the gym a few times a week and not binge every day rather than just faffing about my houser all day I'm less likely to have a panic attack over food or other things

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Luke070)
        Do you mean you feel the need to take them out of moderation and unnecessarily? It's okay to have them in moderation...
        What would be moderation?
        Like one a day on workout day I'd do probs

ReputationRep:
        I'm 19 and I think that I speak for all other people around our age when I say that the sex drive of all 15-20 something year-old males is pretty high. Don't be ashamed but make sure that you talk to someone, like a doctor or maybe even a councillor, but be honest. I'm sure you're normal though!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by LawKid)
        I'm 19 and I think that I speak for all other people around our age when I say that the sex drive of all 15-20 something year-old males is pretty high. Don't be ashamed but make sure that you talk to someone, like a doctor or maybe even a councillor, but be honest. I'm sure you're normal though!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
        It's dead today because I'm having a guilty day...

ReputationRep:
        I am going to be blunt. If it's that bad, don't talk about it on TSR go and tell your doctor the whole truth because they will be able to help you. Don't be ashamed, all people our age have sex drives it's more abnormal to not have one at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        I am going to be blunt. If it's that bad, don't talk about it on TSR go and tell your doctor the whole truth because they will be able to help you. Don't be ashamed, all people our age have sex drives it's more abnormal to not have one at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
        It returned
        Spoiler:
        Show
        with stimulation

I think I might have to

ReputationRep:
        Not being rude or anything but I don't need to know that it returned "with some stimulation"- a little too much detail 😃 Good decision about the quacks though!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        Not being rude or anything but I don't need to know that it returned "with some stimulation"- a little too much detail Good decision about the quacks though!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
        Sorry, I feel unable to hide anything from people these days, even TMI

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2013
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.