Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So like a few others I've completely failed my A levels CDD and I cant get into any unis of my choice or for courses I want. My plan is to resit and apply next year effectively taking a gap year.

My question is how do I apply next year? If i apply straight off the bat I'll get rejected instantly due to my poor grades even before I sit my exams.

Any help would be appreciated thanks

ReputationRep:
    You apply via UCAS just as you did this year

Also, just as this year you list the exams that you plan to do in the pending section
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thisisthened)
    So like a few others I've completely failed my A levels CDD and I cant get into any unis of my choice or for courses I want. My plan is to resit and apply next year effectively taking a gap year.

My question is how do I apply next year? If i apply straight off the bat I'll get rejected instantly due to my poor grades even before I sit my exams.

Any help would be appreciated thanks
    You enter the grades you've achieved, and then again as pending, so they will know you are resitting, but you can also have it mentioned in your reference/personal statement.

They may still reject straight away, but at least they'll know you're resitting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    You apply via UCAS just as you did this year

Also, just as this year you list the exams that you plan to do in the pending section
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    You enter the grades you've achieved, and then again as pending, so they will know you are resitting, but you can also have it mentioned in your reference/personal statement.

They may still reject straight away, but at least they'll know you're resitting
    Thanks guys I guess I'll have to accept my rubbish grades haha

What about references? Predicted grades? Do I need to reobtain them? I'm just extremely distressed at all of this, its come as a sudden shock :crazy:

At least I can go trhough clearing again though
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys I guess I'll have to accept my rubbish grades haha

What about references? Predicted grades? Do I need to reobtain them? I'm just extremely distressed at all of this, its come as a sudden shock :crazy:

At least I can go trhough clearing again though
    Yes, you'd need to get them again :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you'd need to get them again :yep:
    So I'd have to go in and ask all the teachers for them?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    So I'd have to go in and ask all the teachers for them?
    Whomever you would like the reference from, plus the predicted grades tend to go with the reference iirc. It's not that much effort

ReputationRep:
    Whomever you would like the reference from, plus the predicted grades tend to go with the reference iirc. It's not that much effort
    I just dont want to face them all. They thought I'd get A's and I'm sitting C's and D's :sigh:

Ah theres also the issue that both my biology teachers have left the school?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

Ah theres also the issue that both my biology teachers have left the school?
    So long as you can get someone to write you a reference, the school can generate a new predicted grade based on how you did at GCSE and AS. It won't be as personal to you, but it will exist, and hopefully won't hinder you. If this comes out as lower than you need, you can probably persuade your referee to increase it by a grade, by telling them how dedicated you're going to be and so on.

Chances are, you can do everything via email, if you wish to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    So long as you can get someone to write you a reference, the school can generate a new predicted grade based on how you did at GCSE and AS. It won't be as personal to you, but it will exist, and hopefully won't hinder you. If this comes out as lower than you need, you can probably persuade your referee to increase it by a grade, by telling them how dedicated you're going to be and so on.

Chances are, you can do everything via email, if you wish to.

Thanks a lot I'll try that

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot I'll try that
    The school will provide the same reference it did this year, updated with any other relevant information you ask them to include. You aren't the first and you certainly won't be the last.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    The school will provide the same reference it did this year, updated with any other relevant information you ask them to include. You aren't the first and you certainly won't be the last.
    Would I need to speak to my head of year about this?

ReputationRep:
    Would I need to speak to my head of year about this?
    Either them or the head of sixth. Don't worry. Not only is this standard procedure, we are actually human!

ReputationRep:
    Either them or the head of sixth. Don't worry. Not only is this standard procedure, we are actually human!
    I just hope they're understanding!

I'll email them on the week school starts :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I just hope they're understanding!

I'll email them on the week school starts :yep:
    Heads of sixth and their team will be in school from now on, so there's no need to wait. They may be busy right now, but simply letting them know you'll be asking for a reference later requires nothing more from them than an 'ok, fine, let us know' email in return, so it's no big deal.

ReputationRep:
    Heads of sixth and their team will be in school from now on, so there's no need to wait. They may be busy right now, but simply letting them know you'll be asking for a reference later requires nothing more from them than an 'ok, fine, let us know' email in return, so it's no big deal.
    Ah I see its true that it would make it much less hassle in September. Good idea thanks a bunch :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.