Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have just received my A-level results (AABB) and I have already got a place at university to do French and Hispanic studies.

I got a B grade in French at A-level, but I have worked out (I think!) that I am 1 UMS mark and 3 raw marks off an A grade

Could someone confirm that I am right in my calculations??

French A-level (Wjec)

FN1 58/80 UMS and 48/60 RAW
    FN2 110/120 UMS and 79/98 RAW
    FN3 58/80 UMS and 50/60 RAW
    FN4 93/120 UMS and 72/98 RAW

so.. that is 319/400 UMS marks total
    and 249/316 RAW marks total

I think that it is 320 UMS marks for an A grade and 252 RAW marks for an A.. therefore, I am 1 UMS mark and 3 RAW marks off an A grade???

If all that is correct, then, does anyone think I should get a remark?? or is a remark even possible for someone completing their entire A-level?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Have you spoken to your school about it? They should go through the steps with you, and they might recommend getting the exam script back first and looking at that before deciding on the remark route.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by failing1)
    Hi,

I have just received my A-level results (AABB) and I have already got a place at university to do French and Hispanic studies.

I got a B grade in French at A-level, but I have worked out (I think!) that I am 1 UMS mark and 3 raw marks off an A grade

French A-level (Wjec)

I think that it is 320 UMS marks for an A grade and 252 RAW marks for an A.. therefore, I am 1 UMS mark and 3 RAW marks off an A grade???

If all that is correct, then, does anyone think I should get a remark?? or is a remark even possible for someone completing their entire A-level?

Thanks
    I did French A-Level with WJEC this year to so can advice you accordingly. You do indeed need one UMS mark to get an A which would only equate to one raw mark not three. However you can't get a whole A-Level remarked only the individual units therefore you will need to decide which unit you took this summer you think you're likely to go up for. Do you think 50/60 raw marks in fair for FN3 or that 72/98 is fair for FN4? This is the question that you should be asking yourself and maybe getting the script back would be a good idea in helping you decide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by failing1)
    Hi,

French A-level (Wjec)

Thanks
    If you have already got a place at University like you said then you may as well get a remark on the paper that you thought you were expecting better, what's the worst that can happen? You could lose a few marks but it will not drop you below the grade boundary and your grade will therefore still look the same on paper, or it could go up and it will look better on paper

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I think that I will try getting the FN4 paper re-marked and hope for the best.. It would be extremely unfortunate if I dropped all the way to a C grade so hopefully there's nothing to lose! (except £46 if it goes down haha)

Also.. does anyone know if I would need to inform my university that I am getting a re-mark?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.