Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What's the nightlife like for a UoL student? What's there to do? What do people usually do?

Please be honest and no beating around the bush

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oikoik)
    What's the nightlife like for a UoL student? What's there to do? What do people usually do?

Please be honest and no beating around the bush
    I've lived in Leeds for the past two years and I love the nightlife there. Just on the edge of the city centre are chain clubs (Tiger Tiger, Oceana, etc) and plenty of student clubs like Halo, Mezz, The Space, Bed and the union that do regular chart and rnb nights pretty much every night, so you're spoilt for choice. There're plenty of other nights around like propaganda (indie), Hifi Club (mowtown) and Gin and Juice (hip hop) if thats not for you. The underground music nights/live music events are really good in Leeds, venues like Canal Mills, Beaverworks, Vox, Wire, The warehouse and Mint/Mint warehouse run gigs pretty much every weekend getting artists in for drum and bass, jungle, dubstep, techno, house, deep house etc nights. Houseparties are regular around brudenell/headingley and there're some nice bars/pubs around, something for everyone!

ReputationRep:
    What kind of indie/rock nights are there and are they popular? How do you find people to go with if your flat mates prefer mainstream stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolateorange111)
    What kind of indie/rock nights are there and are they popular? How do you find people to go with if your flat mates prefer mainstream stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Propaganda (Saturdays) is really popular, Fuzzy Logic at Wire and Moustache at Faversham also. I'm not aware of any others (haven't gone looking for them!) Indie bands play come through to gig quite often in Leeds as I see posters around all the time. To be honest, I got tired of mainstream nights pretty quickly after freshers but I met a few people in my halls/on my course to go to other nights with taking to them about what music I liked and just being upfront about it and asking them if they're interested in going out/clubbing with me. There're so many alternative/underground nights in Leeds so it shouldn't be hard finding people to go with (some people choose Leeds over other cities for the music scene/nightlife!) I also met a few people who sell tickets or promote for venues in and around my halls and I've met friends through them too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannnahks)
    Propaganda (Saturdays) is really popular, Fuzzy Logic at Wire and Moustache at Faversham also. I'm not aware of any others (haven't gone looking for them!) Indie bands play come through to gig quite often in Leeds as I see posters around all the time. To be honest, I got tired of mainstream nights pretty quickly after freshers but I met a few people in my halls/on my course to go to other nights with taking to them about what music I liked and just being upfront about it and asking them if they're interested in going out/clubbing with me. There're so many alternative/underground nights in Leeds so it shouldn't be hard finding people to go with (some people choose Leeds over other cities for the music scene/nightlife!) I also met a few people who sell tickets or promote for venues in and around my halls and I've met friends through them too.

Pretty cool, thanks for all the info.

I'm into dubstep and progressive house, as well as deep and dark sort of music... can I find this stuff anywhere around?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if you can get like a pass for the Freshers events or if not, is it wise to buy tickets now or wait until you meet your flat,ates?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty cool, thanks for all the info.

I'm into dubstep and progressive house, as well as deep and dark sort of music... can I find this stuff anywhere around?
    Yeah there's plenty in Leeds lots of groups/pages on Facebook that you can join and there're lots flyers/posters in town. Night's at Beaverworks, Vox Warehouse, West Indian Centre etc can get pretty dark after 2am. Some student houses go all out and order soundsystems for houseparties and there're some out of town freeparties as well that play all sorts of underground music.

Edit: Forgot to mention The Garage! Good small venue in the town centre

Does anyone know if you can get like a pass for the Freshers events or if not, is it wise to buy tickets now or wait until you meet your flat,ates?
    You should wait until you've met your housemates and plan what you want to do together!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah there's plenty in Leeds lots of groups/pages on Facebook that you can join and there're lots flyers/posters in town. Night's at Beaverworks, Vox Warehouse, West Indian Centre etc can get pretty dark after 2am. Some student houses go all out and order soundsystems for houseparties and there're some out of town freeparties as well that play all sorts of underground music.

You should wait until you've met your housemates and plan what you want to do together!
    thanks :P Just saw that the 1975 have already sold out though which was making me worried!

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, thanks

I have another question. Is it safe to walk out on your own late at night? Let's say you need to walk back to your dorm on your own from a club... would that be okay?

Annnd also, would you say it's safe to go to a club or bar alone?

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow I just watched some Vox Warehouse videos on youtube and the music sounds amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing.....

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, thanks

I have another question. Is it safe to walk out on your own late at night? Let's say you need to walk back to your dorm on your own from a club... would that be okay?

Annnd also, would you say it's safe to go to a club or bar alone?
    The student area, campus and city centre are all connected and the main street goes through them so I feel quite safe walking home on that between 9-11 when it's well lit and students are walking to/from bars and clubs. After that it depends on a lot of things.. where you are (eg it would take you an hour to walk from Beaverworks to Headingley), what route you're taking (it's good to avoid walking through Hyde Park when it's dark). To be honest it's the same for any big city, taxi prices aren't too bad so be sensible about it and you should be fine!

ReputationRep:
    The two biggest Indie nights are Propaganda at the O2 Academy and Session at the Cockpit. I personally avoid them like the plague but they're very popular.

Rock nights are a bit more interesting (and I know far more about them).

Garage on Saturday nights at Cockpit has a main room that plays mostly alternative metal (Slipknot, Hollywood Undead etc.) and rock (Buckcherry, Aerosmith etc.) and has a second large room that plays mostly guilty pleasures (Whitesnake, Motley Crue, Britney Spears etc.). It also has a small third room and the room's theme changes on a weekly basis.

FUEL on Fridays nights at the Leeds Met Student Union Bar has a large main room that plays mostly commercial rock (e.g.- You Me At Six, All Time Low) and a sizeable second room that plays mostly Metal, with an emphasis on Thrash/ Groove Metal (e.g.- Metallica, Pantera) and Nu Metal (e.g.- System of a Down, Disturbed).

Wendy House, on the third Saturday of every month (recommencing October) in Leeds University Union, is undoubtedly the biggest alternative club night in Leeds. I've heard before that it's the UK's biggest alternative club night outside of Camden. It started off at Leed's famous Le Phonographique with an emphasis on goth music and still plays a bit of goth. Generally, though, they play a mix of alternative rock (e.g.- Mindless Self Indulgence, Muse), 80s music (e.g.- Billy Idol, Alice Cooper) and cheesy pop hits (e.g.- Britney Spears). Starting in October, it will also have a brand new metal room.

Flock, on the first Saturday of every month at the Library, is a proper goth night. Leeds is (arguably) the city where goth was born and Flock thrives on this. It plays a mix of goth rock (e.g.- Sisters of Mercy, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Cure) and industrial (e.g.- Nine Inch Nails, Einsturzende Neubauten, KMFDM).

The Library also plays host to the occasional Kick in the Eye (a night of exclusively 80s goth music), Infernal (a night of gothic metal and industrial metal) and Kerosene (a night of industrial dance music and EBM).

Once a month (and unfortunately I don't think the dates have been confirmed for this year yet), Leeds Rock Society runs it's own club night, Two Smoking Barrels, in the university union which combines the usual clubbing experience with the chance for members to take a turn at DJing (and the clubbing is open to non-members too).

On top of all that, there are local bands playing (usually of the punk or thrash metal persuasion) at both Carpe Diem and Escobar (pub-***-clubs) at least once a week. You can also regularly see local bands at the Packhorse (again usually punk and thrash). The Library and the Fenton regularly play host to local goth bands.

As for finding people to go clubbing with, pretty much every member of both Rock Society and Punk Society goes clubbing at least once a week (and some members go clubbing far more often). The other good thing about RockSoc is that the older (graduate student) members tend to be friends with local DJs and promoters; getting in their good books means you find out about new and one-off club nights as well as having a friend who can introduce you to people in clubs that they've met over the years.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, anyone know about nightlife around Devonshire Hall near Headingley? Is it far from the city centre/nightclubs? Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoopyLinguist)
    Hi, anyone know about nightlife around Devonshire Hall near Headingley? Is it far from the city centre/nightclubs? Thanks in advance.
    Yeah I was there in 1st year, Hyde Park pub is literally just down the road so ideal for a casual drink/predrinks. The closest clubs are Halo, The Faversham and the Union which are right next to the uni, about 10/15 minute walk. For clubs in town we walked quite a few times, it's really not that bad and it's easy enough to grab a bus but if you're in a group you're better off getting a taxi, it's cheaper than the bus per person. I'd explore the whole of Leeds for nightlife though, the better clubs are in the city centre and just out of town!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was there in 1st year, Hyde Park pub is literally just down the road so ideal for a casual drink/predrinks. The closest clubs are Halo, The Faversham and the Union which are right next to the uni, about 10/15 minute walk. For clubs in town we walked quite a few times, it's really not that bad and it's easy enough to grab a bus but if you're in a group you're better off getting a taxi, it's cheaper than the bus per person. I'd explore the whole of Leeds for nightlife though, the better clubs are in the city centre and just out of town!
    Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Hows the party scene at Henry Price? I have heard its good but just how good is it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into my second year and the nightlife is great. There are club nights every night of the week and most of them are great, you'll work out which ones are to your taste and stuff . It will take a month or two to get used to where has the cheapest drinks and stuff (Halo Mondays, £1 entry, £1 singles, £2 doubles) (space Fridays - 80p shots). There are loads of bars and pubs too so there is so much choice. Taxis are cheap too especially if you're sharing and some clubs are within easy walking distance to a lot of the halls of residences.

I'm obviously biased but its great, especially the big events like Carnage, Otley Runs, Halloween/Xmas etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.