Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a place at Exeter for Mechanical Engineering (with a general first year after which you can specialize in one discipline). I got A*AC (A* in maths, A in physics and history), now I was considering adjustment to trade up to a "superior" university. I have phoned Sheffield and Nottingham already; I was told there were no places at Nottingham and only places for everything but mechanical in Sheffield (I was half tempted to just switch to civil eng.). Any ideas on other universities to look at and whether they are any "better" (particularly for their Mech. Eng. courses) which I could get on to through Adjustment.

I just am a bit worried that Exeter while its reputation might be one of the best, that's its engineering department isn't as great as what I can get.

So stick with Exeter or Adjust to somewhere else ....?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1L3NTPR3Y)
    I have a place at Exeter for Mechanical Engineering (with a general first year after which you can specialize in one discipline). I got A*AC (A* in maths, A in physics and history), now I was considering adjustment to trade up to a "superior" university. I have phoned Sheffield and Nottingham already; I was told there were no places at Nottingham and only places for everything but mechanical in Sheffield (I was half tempted to just switch to civil eng.). Any ideas on other universities to look at and whether they are any "better" (particularly for their Mech. Eng. courses) which I could get on to through Adjustment.

I just am a bit worried that Exeter while its reputation might be one of the best, that's its engineering department isn't as great as what I can get.

Presumably you picked Exeter after a lot of research and deliberation, so don't necessarily dismiss it just because you now have the option of changing. Would you be able to get accommodation at the new uni? Bear in mind that there's more to consider than just whether or not you can get a place.

You've got a few more days to look around Adjustment, so you could keep looking at more unis and see what else is out there. Remember that reputation isn't everything - you get out of a degree what you put in, so what is considered 'better' by some arbitrary measure may not be 'better' for you.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    If you don't like Exeter's engineering department, that's fair enough, but presumably you've visited the city, and want to spend three years of your life there. With adjustment, you will be going in blind. No-one can tell you what's best for you though.

I don't know much about specific engineering departments, so I can't advise on that, but are there any universities you applied to and were rejected from, or considered applying to that you want a second go at? That might be a good starting point.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Just stick with Exeter, it's not going to make any difference to your future and, as others have said, presumably you chose Exeter in the first place because you liked it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all responses, I think I'll stick with Exeter rather than going elsewhere .

ReputationRep:
    now I was considering adjustment to trade up to a "superior" university. I have phoned Sheffield and Nottingham
    Sheffield better than Exeter?? You're kidding right? Exeter has no spaces whatsoever in any of its courses anymore whereas Sheffield is still in clearing for many usually oversubscribed courses.

Anyways, my point is: Exeter is a lot better university than Sheffield. And I personally even believe that Exeter is not far at all from Nottingham's reputation in terms of teaching quality. You have nothing to worry about.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.