Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone I hope everyone is having a great results day. I have a major question which involves a lot of hearsay and differing opinions from teachers. Last year I applied to Cambridge but was not given an interview because my AS grades were to low (jokes on them I have 2 A stars and an A). However I did get into my second choice which I will be happy going to. However I would like to apply to Cambridge again but i do not want to take a gap year because I may be rejected meaning that I wasted a year for nothing. Therefore I would like to go to my second choice and apply again when I am at it though my 6th form. Although this behavior is not encouraged I think it is a great way of hedging my bets. I am wondering if anyone has any advice or has done it before (I can't be the only one) or any reason why this is practically impossible
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Call up the Cambridge college and ask. Some have a policy of not accepting applicants in your situation that are current students at a certain uni. So it'd be worth a call.

It'd also be opening a can of worms with student finance if you switched, but you'd be prepared for that, of course.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help but do you know anyone who has done this?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there is any reason why this is impossible as such, unless the Cambridge college forbids it.

However, the first term at a new university is important for settling in, and getting used to the course and the style of coursework demanded from you. I would worry that trying to reapply would make this more difficult. Also, your interview date might clash with seminars/tutorials/labs/fieldwork at your current university- which would you prioritise in this case? Would you make as much of an effort socially, thinking you might be going elsewhere next year anyway.

The other issues are financial. If you got accepted by Cambridge, presumably you would drop out from the first University. However, you might still be liable for fees or accomadation costs. You would also not be entitled to a "spare" year of student finance, which might cause problems for you further down the line.

ReputationRep:
    The financial issues I will work out when I get there. I am not treating an application as a certainty and I can only see myself missing 2-3 days 1 for interview and 2 for application. Therefore I am still treating my second choice as the one I will do my course at and I do not think it will impede my social life

ReputationRep:
    I am also not worried about the complications at the moment just is it possible

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.