Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Apprenticeship vs Real Job Watch

ReputationRep:
    If you were a 21 year old ****head who decided to drop out of high school with no qualifications, then came across an opportunity to be either an apprentice IT technician earning £10,000/year, or a full time postman for a great company earning £12,500/year, which would you go for?

Although I did spend a lot of my between between the ages of 16 and 20 getting smashed in night clubs, trips to Amsterdam and snorting ****-loads unknown white powders which may, or may not have contained quantities of cocaine...

I did spend a significant amount of time building websites, learning about HTML/PHP, SQL databases, Search Engine Optimization and marketing.
    Combined with some competent knowledge in hardware attained from building my own gaming PC's, and dabbling with hardware all the time, my self attained skill-set has landed me an apprenticeship opportunity in a relevant role.

On the other-hand, another opportunity has also arisen which will allow me to be a postman for a highly established international company, which would of course include a better salary and some decent perks by the sounds of it.

I have been in a situation like this before, employment opportunities for me always seem to come in flurries of many, or none at all and judging by the past I always tend to make the wrong decision.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Well, the apprenticeship would give you both a better prospect for your skills and could offer a better career (salary, job perks etc.) later down the line - I'd go for apprenticeship, but it depends whether you think you could take the apprenticeship through to full time career.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.