The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Liberal Arts 2013

Hi! I've been accepted for the Undergrad Liberal Arts course for september 2013. anyone else?
Reply 1
I don't mind at all!!

Okay, so first off for this course and at this uni and possibly a few others like Birmingham you will have to or be offered to do two personal statements because they assume you wont be applying for Liberal Arts for all your unis. My advice is in your UCAS personal statement is to write concisely and about a variety of subjects and your passions, mentioning how all your extra curricular activities have boosted your independence, teamwork, commitment etc. Then in your additional personal statement, tailor it to the course its going to, focusing on the place and the modules they offer to hit the key words that'll make it pop! and talk about how things around you have influenced your interests for example i was born in northern ireland so i talked about how the conflict there influenced my interest in politics

I got 4A's for my AS Results and whilst I think this helped because I was predicted high grades i think my personal statement pushed me over. Try to be really concise and link everything together and use your life to make yourself sound really interesting!

Contact me if you need any other advise or you want me to read your personal statement. I'm happy to help! I know that because its a new course not many people understand so ask me anything you need!

Good to get it sorted now! Good for you and try to have a first draft done by the end of the summer!

GOOD LUCK
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by MEMK
Hi! I've been accepted for the Undergrad Liberal Arts course for september 2013. anyone else?

Hi! We have our own Facebook Group, feel free to join! :smile: (Search for King's Liberal Arts 2013-2016)
Original post by MEMK

Me! Can't wait, see you in September :biggrin:
I know this is a bit off topic but since you are about to study liberal arts maybe you could answer some questions for me? As i really need some help about picking my degree :smile:

How does it work in terms of majors/minors and modules??
What are the differences between the liberal arts course offered at Exeter, Bristol, Surrey, Kent, Essex?
Which universities want you to write 2 personal statements?

Any help would be superrrr appreciated!
Reply 5
Original post by taylorswiftx
I know this is a bit off topic but since you are about to study liberal arts maybe you could answer some questions for me? As i really need some help about picking my degree :smile:

What are the differences between the liberal arts course offered at Exeter, Bristol, Surrey, Kent, Essex?

Any help would be superrrr appreciated!

Hi! I will try to answer your questions.

Are you wondering about Liberal Arts degrees in general? Because I can only tell you about King's but I guess most of them are quite similar. At King's you choose from a range of modules in your first year. At the end of the year you pick a major and a minor. You can also combine a major with a number of different subjects, which means that you wont pick a minor.
Out of the ones you listed, I only applied to Kent. The biggest difference between Kent and KCL is that there is a compulsory year abroad at Kent, I think.
Most universities require you to write a second personal statement. Since the Liberal Arts degree is fairly new, most universities assume that you have applied for other courses as well. So they want you to write a second ps which is tailored for Liberal Arts. I applied to Durham as well and the second ps was optional so it differs from university to university.

Good luck with making your choice. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! :smile:
Reply 6
Hi, MEMK!

I an thinking of applying to KCL liberal arts this year. Could you please give more details about the second personal statement? How do you find your studies by far?

Many thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest