The Student Room Group

I didn't even pass

I received my AS results this morning and I got CUUU. C in art and Us in maths chemistry and bio. I really don't know what to do with my life right now because I absolutely have to go to uni, parents said I should just retake the whole year 12 as in start my a levels again from beginning but I'm a bit nervous cos I haven't heard of anyone in my school redoing a levels. What do I do I'm such a mess right now and it was so bad receiving these results as its ruined my whole holiday:frown:😕😢😢😢
Reply 1
I am sorry to hear about your results. With respect to retaking yr12 i personally know 4 people who are retaking yr 12. The implication of that decision is that it has barred them from having a decent success rate at the very best of universities like oxford imperial etc but other than that they do not have any problem i would say it is better to resit them now than to come out with mediocre grades in a2 as that would first off hinder your chances of getting into a decent uni in the immediate future and if you were to retake after your a2 it would take further 2 years. all this that i am saying is just an opinion and i might be wrong
Original post by shm247
I received my AS results this morning and I got CUUU. C in art and Us in maths chemistry and bio. I really don't know what to do with my life right now because I absolutely have to go to uni, parents said I should just retake the whole year 12 as in start my a levels again from beginning but I'm a bit nervous cos I haven't heard of anyone in my school redoing a levels. What do I do I'm such a mess right now and it was so bad receiving these results as its ruined my whole holiday:frown:������������������������

Heyy,, i would advise you re sit year 12 again, atleast you have an idea of what a levels are like now :s-smilie: and dont worry, there are plenty of people in my college re taking year 12.. most of my friends have to re take AS as they got grades such as DEEU etc.. Alot have also been kicked out, and have to re apply to college., you're not the only one. dont worry :redface:
Retake. Otherwise you could get As or Bs next year but come out with Cs or Ds overall, which isn't fair on you.

There's no shame in it - it happens a lot, and people quite often turn their grades right around. You're still very young - better to do it now than as a mature student. You could consider doing other subjects if it was because you found them difficult, or if it was due to lack of work you will already have a head start with those.
Reply 4
should I resit the whole year? I got BBDD? :confused: (Socio, media, bio, chem)
Reply 5
Original post by Octohedral
Retake. Otherwise you could get As or Bs next year but come out with Cs or Ds overall, which isn't fair on you.

There's no shame in it - it happens a lot, and people quite often turn their grades right around. You're still very young - better to do it now than as a mature student. You could consider doing other subjects if it was because you found them difficult, or if it was due to lack of work you will already have a head start with those.

Yeah I guess the only thing I can do is start year 12 again then but I'm scared that i will loose my friends because they will be in the year above and I will be with the year below me . Also will unis know that I redid year 12 and will they frown upon it? Not that I'm applying to like Oxbridge or anything but like will normal unis care do you think ?
Original post by shm247
Yeah I guess the only thing I can do is start year 12 again then but I'm scared that i will loose my friends because they will be in the year above and I will be with the year below me . Also will unis know that I redid year 12 and will they frown upon it? Not that I'm applying to like Oxbridge or anything but like will normal unis care do you think ?

They will know. You should contact a few you are interested in to find out their policies, but to be honest I suspect that any disadvantage will be far outweighed by by the potential for better grades, particularly if you can get Bs or above.

I wouldn't worry about your friends - I know it's easier said than done, but it's only one more year, and they'll be moving all over the country soon. If your friendship can survive that it can survive this, and if not then you'll get used to meeting new people, and have a head start when you get to university. Meanwhile you can concentrate hard and get into the best place you can. :smile:
Original post by SyedaK
should I resit the whole year? I got BBDD? :confused: (Socio, media, bio, chem)

Probably not - most people with those grades wouldn't - but it depends what you're aiming for.

I would speak to your teachers, because I'm not qualified to answer properly, but I would say that with hard work and possibly some retakes on a D subject you could certainly get that up to BBC-AAB or more, which are perfectly good for a lot of universities. On the other hand, if you want to go into a science based degree you might be better off retaking the year and getting your Bio / Chem up, or taking other subjects. On the whole, though, you shouldn't need to retake the entire year. :smile:
Reply 8
Dont feel too despondent, to Michael Jordan "the secret to success is failure". There have been loads of people in a similar position to yourself so dont be ashamed if you're going to have to spend another year in college. My advice would be to retake your A level and search for how to study effectively. If I were in your position Id make study plans by revising the entire syllabus of each subject you are doing from the beginning of the term so you have an idea of how many months it would take for you to prepare and leave space for the practicing of past papers.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Probably not - most people with those grades wouldn't - but it depends what you're aiming for.

I would speak to your teachers, because I'm not qualified to answer properly, but I would say that with hard work and possibly some retakes on a D subject you could certainly get that up to BBC-AAB or more, which are perfectly good for a lot of universities. On the other hand, if you want to go into a science based degree you might be better off retaking the year and getting your Bio / Chem up, or taking other subjects. On the whole, though, you shouldn't need to retake the entire year. :smile:

Thank you!! I want to take a science based degree but can I just retake biology an chemistry in a2 instead? Would it be possible to get A's like that. Also we apply for Uni in September and Uni's would want to know my predicted grades right?
Do you think I should retake the year with CDEU? (I'm not sure if my sixth form will let me though - many people have been kicked out today and not allowed to retake the year, except a few)
Original post by SyedaK
Thank you!! I want to take a science based degree but can I just retake biology an chemistry in a2 instead? Would it be possible to get A's like that. Also we apply for Uni in September and Uni's would want to know my predicted grades right?

In my day (4 years ago) we could retake in January, but I heard they scrapped that, so don't take my word for it. You ought to be able to retake at the same time as your A2s - do check with a teacher though, as I don't want to give the wrong advice. If you can cope with the extra work it would be perfectly possible (though difficult, as you are essentially doing most of an A-level in one year) to get As in Bio / Chem that way.

However, it may be worth retaking a year in that case - not because you have to, but because you don't want to sell yourself short by trying to do too much at once. I only say that because you want to do a Bio / Chem based degree at university - I'm not even sure your college would let you, as Bs are perfectly decent AS results, but you have nothing to lose by mentioning it.

Unis and predicted grades will be the major problem, as they will only see your AS results. However, your teachers will predict you the best they can, and if all else fails you can take a gap year, and apply with better grades.

I would e-mail your teachers straight away to ask about your best options for retakes (they shouldn't mind, as they will probably be getting a lot of e-mails today). Then start working immediately. If you can go back next year having worked hard over the summer (as unappealing as it sounds), you can get ahead, and impress your teachers into predicting you higher grades. :smile:
Reply 12
In my day (4 years ago) we could retake in January, but I heard they scrapped that, so don't take my word for it. You ought to be able to retake at the same time as your A2s - do check with a teacher though, as I don't want to give the wrong advice. If you can cope with the extra work it would be perfectly possible (though difficult, as you are essentially doing most of an A-level in one year) to get As in Bio / Chem that way.

However, it may be worth retaking a year in that case - not because you have to, but because you don't want to sell yourself short by trying to do too much at once. I only say that because you want to do a Bio / Chem based degree at university - I'm not even sure your college would let you, as Bs are perfectly decent AS results, but you have nothing to lose by mentioning it.

Unis and predicted grades will be the major problem, as they will only see your AS results. However, your teachers will predict you the best they can, and if all else fails you can take a gap year, and apply with better grades.

I would e-mail your teachers straight away to ask about your best options for retakes (they shouldn't mind, as they will probably be getting a lot of e-mails today). Then start working immediately. If you can go back next year having worked hard over the summer (as unappealing as it sounds), you can get ahead, and impress your teachers into predicting you higher grades. :smile:

*A BIG MASSIVE VIRTUAL HUG* Thank you soo much! You've been great help! I'll send emails to my teachers now. :smile:
Continue Art and find some inspiration, that's what I'm doing. As I've only just decided what I want to do for a career I've spent most of the year just working with no real goal or motivation to succeed. I'm going to email a company with my job and see what they look for in someone of that position academically and hopefully this will give me some incentive on where I have to be. I got B - English Lit/Lang, History - D, Chemistry and Psychology - U. I was predicted A-Cs but hasn't gone that way like you. It's worth reconsidering the three other AS levels, maybe there is something you're more suited too. Although people seem to do much better when they retake the year doing the same subjects so you could continue. A lot of people at my sixth form who've had bad AS results have gone onto retake Year 12, I had three in my English class this year and there were plenty more around Sixth Form and it does seem to work for them but they were closely monitored by senior leadership so it is worth suggesting to do things that way.
Reply 14
Original post by shm247
I received my AS results this morning and I got CUUU. C in art and Us in maths chemistry and bio. I really don't know what to do with my life right now because I absolutely have to go to uni, parents said I should just retake the whole year 12 as in start my a levels again from beginning but I'm a bit nervous cos I haven't heard of anyone in my school redoing a levels. What do I do I'm such a mess right now and it was so bad receiving these results as its ruined my whole holiday:frown:😕😢😢😢

I think both of us are in the same situation 😪
My AS results were very disappointing as well . I got a DDU ; Chemistry ; Biology and Physics. It was the most depressing moment in my life . I wanted to apply for medical school to the UK as I am an international student but I think I will have to eliminate UK from my options as no school will accept me with such grades . I also spoke with chemistry teacher and she said its best that I don't retake and carry the grade forward toward year 2 but I don't think I will be able to get an overall grade higher than a B with the D AS grade . I am considering about resitting chemistry and biology but I am not sure if I should do it in October/November of this year or do the AS n A2 togetherin 2014 . For Physics I'm still not sure what I can do :frown: 😰😰😰 ):

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi

I'm kinda in the same position as you are, I was hoping to study medicine at uni and was hoping to get AAAb at AS-level but got ADDE instead. I am absolutely mortified with my results but am now even more worried that I will get kicked out of my sixthform (which is private) - i didn't even know schools could do that. Should I resit my exams and take a gap year and apply to uni with grades in hand?
Reply 16
I'm in the same boat. I think I'll redo the year. Got DEEE. Chemistry, bio, physics, maths.

The thing is if I do restart I'll get the same grades because I don't know where I went wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest