Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I received a place at UCL as my insurance choice, so I could not apply for accommodation. I was unaware that there was a waiting list for people wanting accommodation who had UCL as their second choice, so now there is no chance at all of me getting a place at halls. Is my only chance to go into the private sector now? How do I do this? Is it worth retaking a year at college so I can get into halls next year? What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willdavis)
    I received a place at UCL as my insurance choice, so I could not apply for accommodation. I was unaware that there was a waiting list for people wanting accommodation who had UCL as their second choice, so now there is no chance at all of me getting a place at halls. Is my only chance to go into the private sector now? How do I do this? Is it worth retaking a year at college so I can get into halls next year? What should I do?
    Do not give up this place at UCL.

My daughter is at UCL - she is going into her second year. She was in halls last year and said that there were a number of people who started and left after a short while leaving vacant rooms. There will always be somewhere for you inLondon. The accommodation office will help you - even if you get somewhere for the short term, something will turn up

ReputationRep:
    dont take a year out over halls. it really isnt worth it. Just bite the bullet for a year and go private.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation. I don't mind renting, but I have no idea where to start. Am currently combing through the University of London Housing Services webpage for advice. Panicky posts to TSR forum may follow!

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished first year at UCL, and can speak from experience that there will be spaces in halls within a few weeks of the start of term, so if you can commute or find somewhere private for a few weeks I would recommend you wait it out! Two of my friends chose to move out of halls within the first month to a private flat (for their own personal reasons) and it took them a few weeks to find replacements for themselves so they could do so, despite advertising around campus and on all the relevant facebook pages. Also, a girl in my flat moved out late in October (her English wasn't great and she moved to a more expensive hall over the road from uni with friends from home) and it took a month before anyone new moved in. Finally, a friend off my course moved into halls from home in November. So it DOES happen, get yourself on the waiting list now and remember that most of the other people on it will find other accommodation they won't want to uproot themselves from so you will move higher up the list more quickly than rooms come available

ReputationRep:
    I also missed the deadline to apply for a hall, now I'm looking for a flatmate to rent a flat together. I'm Chinese, female, Msc of Public Policy, if U R also interested, feel free to contact me.

ReputationRep:
    1. Remain on the waiting list.

2. Try looking privately, either speak to the accommodation office and see if they maintain a list of students who are in the same situation as you and see if you can all join together and get a property.

3. look on the right move website, in the students section for other students who need an extra house mate in the area.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/student-accommodation.html/svr/1717;jsessionid=656A87E1854A78B9 1F988F7138C40CD6

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your replies, they are very helpful. To answer Axion's question, I am from Cornwall, so it's a little difficult to look round places before I go there.

ReputationRep:
    Could always live on the street if you cant find a place.

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same problem as some of the other posters. Got an insurance choice offer from UCL and am now looking for accommodation privately. Studying English, from the North of England, 18 and male. Contact me if interested in sharing or flatmate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FionaYing)
    I also missed the deadline to apply for a hall, now I'm looking for a flatmate to rent a flat together. I'm Chinese, female, Msc of Public Policy, if U R also interested, feel free to contact me.
    I'd be interested.UCL was my insurance so I don't have anywhere to stay either and would like to get maybe a shared room in private halls with someone??Im English, female from the north of england and am studying biology
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Will, I noticed your post and wanted to help. I work for iQ Shoreditch Student Accommodation in East London. We are a three minute walk from Old Street tube station. It's about 25 minutes by tube or bus to UCL. We have had quite a lot of interest from students at UCL for September accommodation and this year a specially discounted rent has been agreed exclusively for students at University College London, saving you up to £550 on a 50 week tenancy for our silver and bronze studios. Please see details for our website below. If you would like any more information or would like to visit for a viewing just send an email to [email protected].

Hope this helps!

Nicole
    iQ Shoreditch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I'm in the exact same position as an insurance offer holder. I'm now looking for a female flat-mate, preferably in first year to share a flat I've secured in Camden (rent would be around £170-£175 a week). I'm 18, starting in September at UCL studying maths and physics (but I beat the stereotype, I promise!). Message me if interested!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.