Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

catrin poem need to know what grade you would say i would get for this and improve Watch

ReputationRep:
    In the poem ' which is called Catrin is about a mother and daughter birth and love between each other. we realise that Gillian Clarke the author has used a contrast between past tense describing the birth of the daughter and the atmosphere around the mother showing the conflicts and separating between mother and daughter. In the 2nd verse of the poem it is a contrast of present tense which shows the reader that the daughter has grown up. Also the mother and daughter have grown up to become two completely different people and the conflict is still happening. We realise that there relationship is deep. There is a huge mixture of emotion in the poem which follows the love between mother and daughter. ¶, We learn that the writer uses the name of her daughter at the start of the poem. We are told that when it says "catrin" This makes me realise that Gillian Clarke uses her daughters name once because the first verse is past tense and is about conflicts between the mother and the new born child. This leaves the reader feeling that how the poet is half past tense , it makes you think that the daughter has changed completely or is gone. ¶, We realise that in the first verse of the poem when the writer says " I can remember you, child" This make me realise that the poets voice is speaking to a child at the start of the poem . When the writer uses the word " Remember" This gives you the impression that the poet is speaking past tense. This is effective because the writer also uses the word "You" which leave the impression to the reader that it can represent any mother and daughter.¶, We learn that when the writer describes the hospital by saying "As I stood in a hot, white room at the window watching the people and cars taking turn at the traffic lights". This suggest that the environment is stenle when the writer uses the word "White". Also when the writer describes the room it adds to the intense that it is an angry atmosphere, it is also an contrast with the intimate event that is about to happen. This links with the idea that when the mother " Looks out of the window watching the people". This gives you the impression that the mother is trying to avoid her daughters gaze as she knows this may weaken her resolve and allow her daughter to do what she wants. ¶, The writer shows us that half way through the first verse of the poem we read that the mother and daughter are tied to each other. This is shown in the phrase " The tight red rope of love which we both fought over". This suggest that the phrase "Red Rope" shows us that they are tied to each other by an invisible rope of love by birth. This is effective because it can leave the reader thinking of two different ideas about the red rope first they could think the colour red could express the colour of the heart or the sense of anger which love can cause, Or the second idea could be that they think the red rope could be implying the blood from the umbilical cord.

ReputationRep:
    is no one going to help me

ReputationRep:
    I only skim read it, but you seem to be starting a lot of sentences with the word 'This'. Try adding things like 'For me...'.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to add on to this. A/A* would be sophisticated and concise. Instantaneuosly, you have to show that you're a high end student. You've used 'also' too many times.

Starting - The poem 'Catrin' delves into the various relationships and types of love a mother and a daughter go through in their life time.
    *here you can short list 3 main types of relationships and 3 main types of love.

With each paragraph you should at all times link each relationship and love to a technique used in/throughout the poem - structure/form/language and your interpretation of it and alternative interpretation and meaning.

You should use this - Alternatively, this could also reinforce this idea of... reinforce the writers idea... could also mean

When you repetitively say that - When the writer uses the word " Remember" This gives you the impression that the poet is speaking past tense.You should be saying that the writer makes us aware of the mother being reminicsent of the past times she has spent with her daughter and is recalling sweet/bitter memories.

What year are you in? I was struggling to achieve top marks in my CA's but it took a lot of practice and drafts to get the jist of writing good answers.
    I could give you a lot more feed back but it would take a lot of time. DO not keep writing in the manner that I quoted and highlighted.

ReputationRep:
    hey cleveradam thank you for helping me I improved in it and I have got a better grade sorry I haven't replied back for a long time I have been busy I am doing Shakespeare now

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.