Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there a posibility of getting onto any science course with these grades? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do so well. DDE were my grades.

I have a foundation year offer from reading which was my insurance choice but I wanted to be sure if I'd get on any course from the first year.

I've seen some courses on clearing I might be interested in but I don't want to decline the only offer I have.

Should I go for it? I've been told I need a clearing number to call. is it true? or can I just ring and try my luck? I just want to be sure because I'm outside England at the moment and it'll be quite expensive to make an hour long call.

and what are the chances of any course taking me with these grades?
    Thanks. I'm kind of desperate. Nobody has been of help so far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink lipstick)
    I didn't do so well. DDE were my grades.

I have a foundation year offer from reading which was my insurance choice but I wanted to be sure if I'd get on any course from the first year.

I've seen some courses on clearing I might be interested in but I don't want to decline the only offer I have.

Should I go for it? I've been told I need a clearing number to call. is it true? or can I just ring and try my luck? I just want to be sure because I'm outside England at the moment and it'll be quite expensive to make an hour long call.

and what are the chances of any course taking me with these grades?
    Thanks. I'm kind of desperate. Nobody has been of help so far
    If you definitely want to pursue an alternative course you see in Clearing, you need to call the University offering it and find out if they would be willing to take you. If they are, that is when you go to your current Insurance Uni and ask them to release you. Once they have done this, it will be possible for you to enter Clearing on UCAS. Once you have entered Clearing you can then add the new University as an option, and that is when you get your Clearing number.

Remember that you must wait until an option in Clearing gives you a verbal offer, and until you're very sure you prefer it, before you get your Insurance to release you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    If you definitely want to pursue an alternative course you see in Clearing, you need to call the University offering it and find out if they would be willing to take you. If they are, that is when you go to your current Insurance Uni and ask them to release you. Once they have done this, it will be possible for you to enter Clearing on UCAS. Once you have entered Clearing you can then add the new University as an option, and that is when you get your Clearing number.

Remember that you must wait until an option in Clearing gives you a verbal offer, and until you're very sure you prefer it, before you get your Insurance to release you.
    Thanks. Is tomorrow the last day for clearing?

ReputationRep:
    Clearing lasts until October, but there are less places available with each passing day, so better sooner rather than later.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Tomorrow is not the last day for clearing. It lasts until September, but universities will withdraw from it, once all their places are filled.

I would be wary following the above advice, for a couple of reasons-

- If you don't have a clearing number, the university is not obliged to speak to you.
    - If you do get an offer, and need to be released, being released can take up to a few days, and you may have to accept your offer on track within 24 hours.
    - If you don't want to make lots of phone calls, clearing is not for you anyway.

With the grades you have, are you sure going to Reading and doing the foundation year is such a bad idea? Why do you not want to do this? Reading will be more likely to give you accomadation in halls than a clearing choice, and presumably you've already visited and decided you liked the university.

ReputationRep:
    I got CCCD (maths, biology, geography and chemistry) , I'm so disappointed as I wanted to do Vet Med but I know I don't have a chance now as my grades are so bad. I have been doing work experience for three years and now feel like it has been a massive waste of time, I have thought about doing biomedical science or something similar but most universities are asking for AAB-ABB and I doubt my school will predict me the grades that i need, anybody got any advice or suggestions on any other courses or careers i could look into????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    Tomorrow is not the last day for clearing. It lasts until September, but universities will withdraw from it, once all their places are filled.

I would be wary following the above advice, for a couple of reasons-

- If you don't have a clearing number, the university is not obliged to speak to you.
    - If you do get an offer, and need to be released, being released can take up to a few days, and you may have to accept your offer on track within 24 hours.
    - If you don't want to make lots of phone calls, clearing is not for you anyway.

With the grades you have, are you sure going to Reading and doing the foundation year is such a bad idea? Why do you not want to do this? Reading will be more likely to give you accomadation in halls than a clearing choice, and presumably you've already visited and decided you liked the university.
    What?? Where does it say i don't want to make a lot of calls? I said I wanted to be sure of a few things so that I don't waste money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosieh-jones)
    I got CCCD (maths, biology, geography and chemistry) , I'm so disappointed as I wanted to do Vet Med but I know I don't have a chance now as my grades are so bad. I have been doing work experience for three years and now feel like it has been a massive waste of time, I have thought about doing biomedical science or something similar but most universities are asking for AAB-ABB and I doubt my school will predict me the grades that i need, anybody got any advice or suggestions on any other courses or careers i could look into????

Are you in AS or A2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosieh-jones)

If you're still looking to do Biomedical Science, Westminster offers the course with an entry requirement of CCC

http://www.westminster.ac.uk/courses...dical-sciences

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Also this course in Wolverhampton is avaliable for 200 UCAS points (so basically CDD)

http://search.ucas.com/course/entryr...rsedetailsmenu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink lipstick)
    Thanks. Is tomorrow the last day for clearing?
    No, not by weeks. But places get taken very quickly, so you need to sort things out as quickly as you can (while making sure that you research the options properly)

(Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    No, but that doesn't mean that they won't. If a University has listed places in Clearing, one assumes they want people to approach them about it, and have a wide pool of options to draw from.
    Universities can't give you a formal offer until they have your Clearing number, but they can tell you whether they would consider giving you a place or not. In a lot of cases Universities are fine to discuss things informally first.

This is not what happens in the majority of cases. If you chase up the University that is meant to release you, it will speed things up. And if a University is being slow about UCAS can appeal on your behalf.
    :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the help. Called 4 universities and was declined each time. There's always next year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.