Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I will start my postgraduate studies mid-September in London (near Russell Square / Bloomsbury) and don't have any accommodation yet. I know I'm late so I guess I need to find something rather quickly and therefore I could need some advice as I'm not very familiar with the market. I’ve been in London a couple of years ago as an exchange student but I stayed in the official student halls (in Islington). I really liked it that it was so close to Brick Lane / Shoreditch but except for the exchange students the entire house was full of freshman students, which was okay then but now I feel like the age difference have become quite big (no offence, I’m mid-late 20s). However, it would still be nice to meet some new people and therefore I thought a shared flat would probably be the best option. I looked at some of the ads on gumtree and other websites and it seems that most room are available within 3-4 weeks or less (so probably I’m not that late after all). However, I have no idea how it works with shared flats in London. In my home town people usually simply give a visiting date / hours and the person the tenants think fits best as a subtenant gets the room. Hence people that don’t show up in person usually have low chances. Is it the same in London? I could fly to London for a weekend but that would costs me at least GBP 350 and therefore only makes sense if the chances are good that I can acutely find something.

Another option would be the private student accommodations, which offer shared-flat-like rooms too. But I think most of them are either booked out or appear to be very expensive. Also I don’t want to be with five 18 year olds that get drunk every day (again, no problem with younger people and probably I’m a bit traumatized from my last experience; I like to get drunk too, but don’t want to stay in a “party” house this time and just go out from time to time), however I think some accommodations offer rooms for graduate students (?). Any recommendations?

Location wise, I’m a bit unsure too. Obviously Bloomsbury or something close to the campus such as Camden would be optimal. As I said, I liked Shoreditch too, however, I’m not sure whether these are still good places to live as they were very popular years ago and prices must have increased in the last years (?). Are those still places that you could recommend or have a lot of people already move on to different places (and probably the nightlife and so on with it) that are more affordable?

Any advice from some that lives in London (or used to) would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, welcome to London!

Gumtree does usually work with viewings, but some places do accept deposits without viewings. Wouldn't recommend it as it's risky though. A good option would be to stay in a cheap hostel for a few days whilst you investigate Gumtree and others. If you want Camden or Shoreditch you're looking at £600/cm minimum without lounge.

Private halls are another option, but they're astronomical in comparison, you're looking at £200 a week minimum. They don't have to be party venues though, and will be in far, far better condition than a room rented for £600 a month in a poky Camden flat. After umpteen broken cookers, mould on ceilings and chipboard beds, I know. You also have more privacy in a private hall.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Morning,

I hope you don’t mind jumping in here.

We've got some great private halls around London where you can choose between a shared flat sharing with others or having your own Studio apartment which is self contained but still allows you to enjoy the social side to the building.

If you are looking to live in North London, we've got a great building just minutes from Angel underground station and Islington called Derwent Point. With all bills, contents insurance and Free Wifi it makes budgeting really simple and there's no unexpected utility bills to pay.

Take a look at our website for more details, photos, pricing and to arrange a viewing - http://freshstudentliving.co.uk/locations/london

Many Thanks,
    Katie @ Fresh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepalms)
    Hi, I will start my postgraduate studies mid-September in London (near Russell Square / Bloomsbury) and don't have any accommodation yet. I know I'm late so I guess I need to find something rather quickly and therefore I could need some advice as I'm not very familiar with the market. I’ve been in London a couple of years ago as an exchange student but I stayed in the official student halls (in Islington). I really liked it that it was so close to Brick Lane / Shoreditch but except for the exchange students the entire house was full of freshman students, which was okay then but now I feel like the age difference have become quite big (no offence, I’m mid-late 20s). However, it would still be nice to meet some new people and therefore I thought a shared flat would probably be the best option. I looked at some of the ads on gumtree and other websites and it seems that most room are available within 3-4 weeks or less (so probably I’m not that late after all). However, I have no idea how it works with shared flats in London. In my home town people usually simply give a visiting date / hours and the person the tenants think fits best as a subtenant gets the room. Hence people that don’t show up in person usually have low chances. Is it the same in London? I could fly to London for a weekend but that would costs me at least GBP 350 and therefore only makes sense if the chances are good that I can acutely find something.

Another option would be the private student accommodations, which offer shared-flat-like rooms too. But I think most of them are either booked out or appear to be very expensive. Also I don’t want to be with five 18 year olds that get drunk every day (again, no problem with younger people and probably I’m a bit traumatized from my last experience; I like to get drunk too, but don’t want to stay in a “party” house this time and just go out from time to time), however I think some accommodations offer rooms for graduate students (?). Any recommendations?

Location wise, I’m a bit unsure too. Obviously Bloomsbury or something close to the campus such as Camden would be optimal. As I said, I liked Shoreditch too, however, I’m not sure whether these are still good places to live as they were very popular years ago and prices must have increased in the last years (?). Are those still places that you could recommend or have a lot of people already move on to different places (and probably the nightlife and so on with it) that are more affordable?

Any advice from some that lives in London (or used to) would be much appreciated!
    Hi

I have a modern single- en-suite for rent in central London located next to angel tube station very close to all University's.

At a fantastic price for the location.

Price per week £198

Any questions? Please feel free to ask

Facilities

• City centre accommodation
    • All utility bills included in the cost of the rent
    • FREE personal contents insurance
    • En-suite shower, toilet and washbasin in all study bedrooms
    • Comprehensive CCTV coverage
    • Electronic entry systems
    • Manned reception area
    • On-site management team
    • On-site maintenance team
    • Spacious communal living area
    • On-site laundry facility
    • Access to complimentary gym facilities
    • Wheelchair accessible
    • 24 hour security
    • Access to a spacious communal living area
    • Postgraduate floor
    • Free Wifi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepalms)

I'm URGENTLY looking for a replacement tenant for a STANDARD STUDIO in LIBERTY HOUSE, SEBASTIAN STREET in central London next to CITY UNIVERSITY LONDON.

The price is £250 per week, 43 week contract. Room available from 14th september 2014

ALL bills and amenities included!!!!

Please contact me if interested!!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.