Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A-Level: English Language vs. Sociology Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Which subject do you think it would be best to take?
    English Language
    75.00%
    Sociology
    25.00%

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I am going into Year 12 in September and the day after results day I need to confirm my subject choices. In the future I would like to do something with languages, maybe teaching, and I need help/advice about my fourth subject choice.*

Currently I plan on definitely taking:
    + Spanish
    + French
    + English Literature

For the fourth choice I've always considered English Language for a while, but now I keep looking at Sociology and it also sounds very interesting. I'm wondering if any of you could give advice, or maybe list a few pros/cons to the subjects? This would be really helpful because I want to make sure I definitely take the right subjects.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    In my sixth form, we were able to take English Literature and Language as one subject.. personally I don't see the point in taking English Lit and English Lang as separate subjects. I did English Literature and that in itself requires a lot of attention.
    I did sociology for GCSE, A level and now going onto University and I find it really interesting and it particularly helps if you are not 100% sure on what you want to do after university.

Join the sociology club Haha good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with person above me comment, it is pointless to take English lit and English language as separate subjects, unless it's combined. You should try something new such as sociology, to challenge yourself even more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.