Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya guys I was wondering if anyone who has done advanced higher chemistry and/or biology could help.

I'm due to be starting my 6th year at. College again (did 5th year at college too) and I am suppose to be taken advanced chemistry + biology.
    Several things I was wondering are:
    • How many highers is two advanced highers the equivalent of?
    • How difficult is carrying out the investigations in each of these
    • Finally, how much of a jump is it for each of these from higher to advanced higher?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess1203400)
    Hiya guys I was wondering if anyone who has done advanced higher chemistry and/or biology could help.

I'm due to be starting my 6th year at. College again (did 5th year at college too) and I am suppose to be taken advanced chemistry + biology.
    Several things I was wondering are:
    • How many highers is two advanced highers the equivalent of?
    • How difficult is carrying out the investigations in each of these
    • Finally, how much of a jump is it for each of these from higher to advanced higher?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1) AH is a higher level qualification, so it can't really be equal to a number of Highers. A B in AH is normally considered = A at Higher in the same subject though.

2) Carrying them out is probably the most time consuming thing ever. I spent 36 hours over 3 days doing my practical for Biology. Chemistry I spread it out over a few months. Writing them up is the hard part though, especially if you don't get much guidance. I easily spent around 15 hours on my write up for Biology (and it was awful and more or less unfinished when I handed it in) and 25 on Chemistry.

3) Biology is massive IMO in terms of what you have to remember, but I personally found AH Chemistry easier than Higher. I had an amazing Chemistry teacher though, 80% of my class passed, and everyone who did got at least a B.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for ur input :-D

I sorta want to know what level of work load I would be taking on and that's why I asked how many highers it would be equal to as I took my highers at college last year and I did do really well but it was all through my own work so I don't really want to be taking on a huge work load (like 5 highers) so that I can relax a bit before I possibly head to uni next year.
    Also I'd rather know If I was capable of two advances highers without killing myself :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess1203400)
    Thanks for ur input :-D

I sorta want to know what level of work load I would be taking on and that's why I asked how many highers it would be equal to as I took my highers at college last year and I did do really well but it was all through my own work so I don't really want to be taking on a huge work load (like 5 highers) so that I can relax a bit before I possibly head to uni next year.
    Also I'd rather know If I was capable of two advances highers without killing myself :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you just doing 2 AH's without any other Highers? 2 AH's are nothing compared to 5 Highers, and they are very manageable. Hell, I'd say even 3 AH's is less work than 5 Highers. Bear in mind that the exam for these 2 subjects only covers 2.5 units too, so the workload is a little lower than you may expect come exam time

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.