Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ill start with a little background to break the ice into the depression that awaits!
    Anyway I'm Luke i've just turned 18 in June, my absolute ambition is to be a pilot I have been set on it ever since a young age! I left school with pretty good GCSEs A/A in double science, B in maths, B/B in English language/lit and everything else a B.
    I done my work experience at an aircraft engineering company, I really liked it and ended up doing an apprenticeship there rather than going college, I think the money took my eye off what I would gain from it though. One year into it I decided I needed to fulfil my dream to become a pilot or I would forever live in regret. This meant I left and enrolled to college to start AS Levels in September 2012, I chose Maths, Physics, Geography and Psychology. I quickly learnt having a year out of 'learning' was a bad idea. I'm not saying I didn't learn anything on my apprenticeship it's just it was specific aircraft stuff, I could tell you anything you'd ever want to know about a plane literally, but unfortunately there is no AS in planes or being a pilot haha (I wish though!)
    I got my Jan results back and suddenly I didn't feel so clever, I was pretty lazy and ended up with three Us which I later resat this summer.
    It soon came round to June exams where I was hit with severe food poisoning I ended up missing my maths exam and then it also affected my geography exam and then the others plus my revision. I'm not putting it all down to this though as my Physics tutor was appalling and also I know that I could have done a lot better.

But anyway in the end I got a U overall in Maths, E in Geography, U in psychology and U in physics. So basically I massively flopped due to effort, illness and tutors.

Now i'm looking to start again though the only thing is I really didnt enjoy maths and neither physics really. I dont want to do maths or physics again really, however geography I liked and would do psychology again too. Another thing is i'm now two years behind!
    I'm thinking to focus on three subjects this time Geography, Psychology and Law or media.

I was only a few UMS off getting a D in Geography and Psychology so if I tried alot harder I think I would be okay, unfortunately the freedom of college made me get lazy.

Just looking for some advice really!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe A levels are not right for you and it would be a shame to pursure something that is not working out. If you got the grades you need how would you become a pilot from good A level grades?

ReputationRep:
    I think it was a combination of a few factors that made me fail. If I took away one of them I'm sure I would have done a lot better so I would like to stick with A Levels. If I did get good grades I would consider going uni, but ideally I want to get on a specific pilot course but that is rather expensive. Another thing I have looked at is the new higher apprenticeship for pilots which is effectively the same as the current pilot cadet courses but with a degree and also partly funded (still really expensive though £40k+) for that I think the requirement was 120 UCAS points when I last looked into it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.