Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, a few months ago, we had a representative of a certain organisation come in and talk to us about multiple schemes they do and one of them was a skiing oriented one. In this scheme, you did a crash course in becoming a skiing instructor and then found employment over the world as a skiing instructor.

Having skied for nearly 13 years, this scheme really appeals to me. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the organisation and was wondering if anyone on TSR did?

If not, then are there any organisations out there that do similar schemes?

ReputationRep:
    hmmm Club Mark Warner?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big Phil)
    So, a few months ago, we had a representative of a certain organisation come in and talk to us about multiple schemes they do and one of them was a skiing oriented one. In this scheme, you did a crash course in becoming a skiing instructor and then found employment over the world as a skiing instructor.
    Having skied for nearly 13 years, this scheme really appeals to me. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the organisation and was wondering if anyone on TSR did?
    If not, then are there any organisations out there that do similar schemes?
    theres like a whole bunch pal. http://www.snowskool.com/ thats one I am familiar with.

However, if you've been skiing for 13 years why not jump on a plane and take the courses yourself?

http://www.casi-acms.com/index.php?o...mid=54&lang=en

The above link is for snowboarding, I'm sure there is a similar organisation for skiing in Canada, UK, New Zealand. Jump on a plane no and you can get to New Zealand before the season ends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (Tom))
    hmmm Club Mark Warner?
    Had a look at the site and they seem to be more focused on skiing holidays instead of skiing courses.

ReputationRep:
    You'd better be teaching cross-country (proper) skiing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    theres like a whole bunch pal. http://www.snowskool.com/ thats one I am familiar with.

However, if you've been skiing for 13 years why not jump on a plane and take the courses yourself?

http://www.casi-acms.com/index.php?o...mid=54&lang=en

The above link is for snowboarding, I'm sure there is a similar organisation for skiing in Canada, UK, New Zealand. Jump on a plane no and you can get to New Zealand before the season ends.
    Had a look at both sites and Snowskool looks like the sort of thing I'm looking for, thank you for the link.

However CASI seems to be more snowboarding orientered (Canadian Association of Snowboard Instructors)

ReputationRep:
    Had a look at both sites and Snowskool looks like the sort of thing I'm looking for, thank you for the link.

However CASI seems to be more snowboarding orientered (Canadian Association of Snowboard Instructors)
    Yeah CASI is just for the snowboarders. That is the governing body, it is CASI that issues the qualifications for Canadian instructors. If you went through the likes of Snowskool they'll charge more and you end up with the same qualifications. However if you went directly to the skiing body that is equivalent to CASI in Canada, then you could book yourself onto a training course and exam and maybe save money. I'm just not familiar with skiing at all, but I would be fairly certain that there is a governing body in Britain, Canada, USA and New Zealand you can contact and cut out the middlemen.

It will be more ground work on your part, its really up to you which you go for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    You'd better be teaching cross-country (proper) skiing!
    I've always been interested in cross-country skiing, apparently it's really hard but it looks like good fun

ReputationRep:
    I've always been interested in cross-country skiing, apparently it's really hard but it looks like good fun
    Absolutely murderous but I love it

ReputationRep:
    Maybe NUCO? I know they do something over the christmas holidays where they pay people to be instructors/reps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Absolutely murderous but I love it
    Where do you do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaaa88)
    Maybe NUCO? I know they do something over the christmas holidays where they pay people to be instructors/reps.
    I had a look at NUCO and they seem to offer skiing holidays instead of actual instructor courses.

Would you have any more information on the course itself?

ReputationRep:
    Where do you do it?
    Northern mountains in Norway - a family resort - hard to find as the majority of them are alpine resorts - this was very much a cross-country: I learned about 5 years ago and it really improved my stamina and fitness. It's tough but I loved the challenge, in my opinion it's perfect because if one muscle tires such as your thighs, you can rest them and use different muscles e.g your arms.

Went against teaching by using my poles early on, best decision ever,

I learned this old technique called fiskebeine, or fish boning, which creates a large surface area and allows you to climb a hill, fun times as I used this to "run" up hills - even overtaking people doing the same - while I didn't bother even putting wax on my skis. My teacher said he'd never ever seen anything like it.......And I'm Irish.

We skied about 15km a day - last time rising to 20km a day. We set ourselves the challenge to ski to the Norwegian kings cabin - which we never made.

I know that's a long story - but I have some fond memories of cross country and if I lived in a country where we had regular snow I'd be doing it every day.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.