The Student Room Group

Need some advice and help!

After I did all my exams I had a feeling I had done bad in them. Today was results day, and I didn't get as bad as I was expecting. What I was expecting was 3 E's. However, I came out with a C for Biology, D for Chemistry and E for Maths for my AS.. I know these grades are still not good, but it was better than I expected. I've passed all 3 of them and I can go into A2. The only problem is that the career that I want to pursue in the future is Pharmacy. The entry requirements for Pharmacy is very high. Most of them want at least an AAB. As I don't have these grades, I don't know whether I should continue on to A2.. or retake the year again?

My plan was retaking the year because if i go into A2 with a C,E and D.. my grades would only go up by 1, so it would be B, D and a C next year - (which is obviously no where near the entry requirements for Pharmacy). I really need some advice.. I dont know what to do.. whether to go into A2 or retake the whole year again and try to get those A's. I just need some opinions before i make a decision and i definitely dont want to make a decision which i will regret later on..
Reply 1
Original post by ezminnie
After I did all my exams I had a feeling I had done bad in them. Today was results day, and I didn't get as bad as I was expecting. What I was expecting was 3 E's. However, I came out with a C for Biology, D for Chemistry and E for Maths for my AS.. I know these grades are still not good, but it was better than I expected. I've passed all 3 of them and I can go into A2. The only problem is that the career that I want to pursue in the future is Pharmacy. The entry requirements for Pharmacy is very high. Most of them want at least an AAB. As I don't have these grades, I don't know whether I should continue on to A2.. or retake the year again?

My plan was retaking the year because if i go into A2 with a C,E and D.. my grades would only go up by 1, so it would be B, D and a C next year - (which is obviously no where near the entry requirements for Pharmacy). I really need some advice.. I dont know what to do.. whether to go into A2 or retake the whole year again and try to get those A's. I just need some opinions before i make a decision and i definitely dont want to make a decision which i will regret later on..

Firstly, I'd really recommend posting in the Pharmacy forum (in University courses) for more specific advice.
On resits, can't you resit the worst papers while doing A2s? And whether or not you should depends on what University and course you want to do. If you really want to pursue Pharmacy, I think the resits and extra year are worth it personally :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Craghyrax
Firstly, I'd really recommend posting in the Pharmacy forum (in University courses) for more specific advice.
On resits, can't you resit the worst papers while doing A2s? And whether or not you should depends on what University and course you want to do. If you really want to pursue Pharmacy, I think the resits and extra year are worth it personally :smile:

Most of my exams I have done are really bad.. so it would mean i would have to resit them all in A2 and on top of that i would have my A2 exams to worry about.. I would think that is too much stress and i would automatically start revising for some exams more than the other.. and also there are no January exams so it would be i would only have a last chance getting these grades up to A's or B's.. So i was thinking the better option would be retaking the year and starting fresh again, but then i was thinking what if i dont achieve the grades again, it would mean i wasted another year. My brother was considering doing a foundation course.. however the uni's that do it is very far and my parents wont allow me.. Im really confused lately because i've been getting different answers from a lot of people, and now im in two minds... :s-smilie::confused:
Reply 3
If pharmacy is really your passion then I would resit the year. You are very right that alot of AS resits along with A2 exams will be a hell of alot of work and you probably won't improve enough, or (as happened with a few people I know) your AS grades will go up but at the expense of good marks in your A2's.
If you really want to get onto a pharmacy course then an extra year will be worth it, and just make sure you don't make the same mistakes you did this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by ezminnie
Most of my exams I have done are really bad.. so it would mean i would have to resit them all in A2 and on top of that i would have my A2 exams to worry about.. I would think that is too much stress and i would automatically start revising for some exams more than the other.. and also there are no January exams so it would be i would only have a last chance getting these grades up to A's or B's.. So i was thinking the better option would be retaking the year and starting fresh again, but then i was thinking what if i dont achieve the grades again, it would mean i wasted another year. My brother was considering doing a foundation course.. however the uni's that do it is very far and my parents wont allow me.. Im really confused lately because i've been getting different answers from a lot of people, and now im in two minds... :s-smilie::confused:

With all due respect. Its your life. Your parents can't stop you from going for a Foundation course if that is what you want. But in order to stop being confused, I think you're going to have to start behaving as if its your life. And that means that you need to put in some extra time and work into looking at these options yourself. The internet is your friend. You can look up Foundation courses yourself, and read everything that University websites say about these courses and what is required. I would really recommend posting in the Universities section on TSR to find other people who took Foundation courses who can tell you what it is like. The only way you're going to work out what you want is by looking at each of the options yourself and figuring out what you think will work best in your specific case. That is not a decision that anybody other than you should be making. But the reason that you're finding it hard to make is because you need (a) more information, and (b) some time to think hard about it on your own. To me it looks like taking an extra year to resit AS or looking into Foundation courses later on are the only good options for your chosen career. But you need to think about it.

And I really would not let distance from your family factor in. Large numbers of people go to University far away from their family and are perfectly happy and successful. If your parents are worried about this you need to reassure them that you will stay in touch through emails and phone calls, and come home over holidays. Once you get to Uni you will be very busy, and you'll need to use all your free time to work hard and also to take up all the good social opportunities that you get. You wouldn't want to be travelling home all the time, and terms fly by very fast. But once again, that is your decision.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest