Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really messed up my AS maths tests and got the following results:

C1 - B (70ums)
    C2 - D (53ums)
    S1 - E (40ums)

I'm on a D right now and I really want to do maths at university. Over the summer I did every question in the C3 book and feel confident of 80+ UMS if given a test.

I've also had to switch sixth forms since we moved to a new city so I think I'm going to have trouble convincing new maths teacher that I'm capable of much more.

What should I do? I don't want to repeat the year. Really want to study maths in university.

ReputationRep:
    Resit them summer 2014. You're lucky it's just maths because C3, C4, and S2 build up on their previous modules so much that after you master them C1, C2, and S1 will be a piece of cake (guaranteed). Don't get scared about doing 6 maths modules in the summer. It just takes commitment and hard work.
    P.S. I will be sitting 6 further maths units next summer (due to refroms), so we're kind of on the same boat. Happy sailing (Y).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sertobe)
    Resit them summer 2014. You're lucky it's just maths because C3, C4, and S2 build up on their previous modules so much that after you master them C1, C2, and S1 will be a piece of cake (guaranteed). Don't get scared about doing 6 maths modules in the summer. It just takes commitment and hard work.
    P.S. I will be sitting 6 further maths units next summer (due to refroms), so we're kind of on the same boat. Happy sailing (Y).
    That's reassuring, thanks man!

Since you're doing further maths I'm assuming you're really good at maths. Got any tips on how to get 80+ ums?

ReputationRep:
    Would like some more opinions

bump

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I'd want to know how much of those grades were down to lack of mathematical ability - because if lack of ability was a major contributing factor to your UMS I'd probably recommend against doing a maths degree (not that any decent course is going to even entertain the idea of giving someone with a D an offer). I'll be honest and say it's likely mathematical ability is an issue unless you have mitigating circumstances to explain those UMS. Your best bet is probably to apply to university once you've done your A-Levels, because unless your teacher is going to predict you a B at a bare minimum I don't think there's really any decent places you could go.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.