Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I got my A Levels back today, and missed out on UCL by one grade. I could go to Southampton, but my heart was set on UCL and am considering resitting a module and reapplying to UCL next year.

If I didn't do this, would going to Southampton put me at a disadvantage when looking for jobs in the future compared with UCL? I'm going to be studying physics, and am thinking of having employment on the financial sector post degree.

Is it worth reapplying to UCL or will Southampton provide as many good opportunities?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Should_be_studying)
    Bump.
    it depends

there is a risk that UCL may not take you especially when they have given you a place before. but then theres that chance they could.

but southampton is a very good uni. its a russell group uni. it really depends on how much you want ucl and if your willing to take a year off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boateng)
    it depends

there is a risk that UCL may not take you especially when they have given you a place before. but then theres that chance they could.

but southampton is a very good uni. its a russell group uni. it really depends on how much you want ucl and if your willing to take a year off?
    Would going to Southampton hinder employment opportunities at all?

ReputationRep:
    Would going to Southampton hinder employment opportunities at all?
    if you get a good degree why would it?

its a russell group uni after all. UCL is probably the more renown, but southampton is still a top uni

ReputationRep:
    if you get a good degree why would it?

its a russell group uni after all. UCL is probably the more renown, but southampton is still a top uni
    Am I over thinking this? If I were to go into something like the financial sector post degree, is a good degree from Southampton respectable enough.

ReputationRep:
    Am I over thinking this? If I were to go into something like the financial sector post degree, is a good degree from Southampton respectable enough.
    kinda
    its a hard choice and you dont wanna regret it

i say go to southampton......

there is no guarantee that ucl will take you

ReputationRep:
    kinda
    its a hard choice and you dont wanna regret it

i say go to southampton......

there is no guarantee that ucl will take you
    Yeah that's true. I appreciate Southampton is a good uni, but I had my heart set on UCL so I'm just a bit disappointed...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else have any opinions? Still not sure what I want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Not finance, admittedly, but I got a magic circle law firm training contract after studying law at Southampton.

ReputationRep:
    go to soton! I am a ucl graduate and i hated my time there...too many snobs! Wish i went to a normal uni like soton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    go to soton! I am a ucl graduate and i hated my time there...too many snobs! Wish i went to a normal uni like soton.
    What this guy said. UCL is just posh and not much better than Southampton.

ReputationRep:
    When you say financial sector do you mean banking? If you do then Southampton is not a target uni for banking (those that are Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL and Warwick) that doesn't mean you can't get in from Southampton but it is much harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiep151)
    When you say financial sector do you mean banking? If you do then Southampton is not a target uni for banking (those that are Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL and Warwick) that doesn't mean you can't get in from Southampton but it is much harder.
    Possibly... Probably either banking or accountancy, but I doubt physics is the best degree for banking, so more likely accounting.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly... Probably either banking or accountancy, but I doubt physics is the best degree for banking, so more likely accounting.
    Physics is perfectly fine for banking what matter most for banking is going to one of the 6 unis I mentioned earlier.

For accountancy I'd try asking in the finance and accountancy section how important which uni you go to is as I don't know if its as big a deal as it is for banking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiep151)
    Physics is perfectly fine for banking what matter most for banking is going to one of the 6 unis I mentioned earlier.

For accountancy I'd try asking in the finance and accountancy section how important which uni you go to is as I don't know if its as big a deal as it is for banking.
    What about an undergraduate at Soton and a masters from UCL?

ReputationRep:
    That is a good plan.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't know if this would or would not help and it is a too important decision for you for me to give a not 100% confident answer.

Could try asking in the Investment Banking and Consultancy section where someone could give you a confident response.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.