Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I'm currently studying for my GCSE's and am predicted mostly A's and a couple of A*s and a B. I'm thinking of a job in accountancy and I am currently planning to complete the ATT level 3 fast track at a local college, then go on to complete the level 4 and afterwards go to a university such as Reading or Manchester Metropolitan (somewhere which has accepts the ATT diploma). Does this sound like the best route?
    Sorry if this is in the wrong category was unsure where to post this

ReputationRep:
    Why not go Direct to Uni? And skip the collage? Why the extra time?

Quote me if you reply, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisshP)
    Why not go Direct to Uni? And skip the collage? Why the extra time?

Quote me if you reply, thanks
    Well its either college or sixth form but with college can work for 3 or 4 days a week as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JM98)
    Well its either college or sixth form but with college can work for 3 or 4 days a week as well.
    I would say. Go sixth. Form. And then university and. Then take a accounting and fiancé degree. Do you know any older people or relatives. Who are accountants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisshP)
    I would say. Go sixth. Form. And then university and. Then take a accounting and fiancé degree. Do you know any older people or relatives. Who are accountants
    I know someone who is training to be an accountant through the college and then university route, she says she's enjoying it but from looking around the top universities only take accept a-levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JM98)
    I know someone who is training to be an accountant through the college and then university route, she says she's enjoying it but from looking around the top universities only take accept a-levels
    Yeah so what I think. It would better. If you take a levels. And then go university direct. Upto you. Do you have interests in. Other subjects. Take your time and. Decide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JM98)
    Hi everyone,
    I'm currently studying for my GCSE's and am predicted mostly A's and a couple of A*s and a B. I'm thinking of a job in accountancy and I am currently planning to complete the ATT level 3 fast track at a local college, then go on to complete the level 4 and afterwards go to a university such as Reading or Manchester Metropolitan (somewhere which has accepts the ATT diploma). Does this sound like the best route?
    Do you mean AAT? I did AAT levels 3 and 4 part time in 2 years it is much better that doing a uni degree in my opinion as you can work at same time and contrary to your post you will not have to go to uni afterwards. With AAT you should be able to get an entry level accounting job and take your ACCA CIMA or whatever chartered accounting qualification you decide to go for, while you are working it is likely the firm you work for will even sponsor it. There is little point in wasting 3 years and over £20k in uni when all you get from it is a few exemptions from professional exams which you get from AAT anyway. There are a lot of ppl that think you need a degree to be an accountant but it is simply not true!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by professortobe)
    Do you mean AAT? I did AAT levels 3 and 4 part time in 2 years it is much better that doing a uni degree in my opinion as you can work at same time and contrary to your post you will not have to go to uni afterwards. With AAT you should be able to get an entry level accounting job and take your ACCA CIMA or whatever chartered accounting qualification you decide to go for, while you are working it is likely the firm you work for will even sponsor it. There is little point in wasting 3 years and over £20k in uni when all you get from it is a few exemptions from professional exams which you get from AAT anyway. There are a lot of ppl that think you need a degree to be an accountant but it is simply not true!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha yep thats what i meant spelling mistake :L Okay thanks very much for the info so you would take the ACCA/CIMA qualification whilst working as well?

ReputationRep:
    Well they are quite expensive and lots of exams so most ppl try to get a job as a junior accountant at an accounting firm or accounts department in a business or something and they will usually pay all or part of the costs of the exams and support you in your training by giving you time off for exams etc. Also for AAT CIMA and ACCA you need a year or two work experience in accounting in order to become fully chartered and be able to use the letters after your name so yeah you pretty much need an accounting job at some stage during your CIMA or ACCA studies at least

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JM98)
    Hi everyone,
    Why not skip the whole lot and just get an apprenticeship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    Why not skip the whole lot and just get an apprenticeship?
    Essentially what you would be doing as I described would be what some ppl would call an apprenticeship. In the end of the day in order to practice as an accountant you need to be a qualified member of a chartered accounting body such as ACCA which stands for Association of Certified Chartered Accountants and in order to become a qualified member you need to pass up to around 15 exams and have 1-2 years work experience in accounting so whichever route you take that will need to happen. Which qualifications you take prior to doing ACCA or equivalent doesn't really make much difference except that some give you more exam exemptions than others

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I'm getting a bit carried away with this thread it just annoys me how much ignorance there is about careers in accounting

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you want to work abroad, get a degree; if you want to become an accountant here, choose either route.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ornlu)
    If you want to work abroad, get a degree; if you want to become an accountant here, choose either route.
    Not necessarily correct as far as i know ACCA is an international qualification with centres in many countries whereas not all countries recognise university degrees

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by professortobe)
    Not necessarily correct as far as i know ACCA is an international qualification with centres in many countries whereas not all countries recognise university degrees

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do understand that - I just made a blanket statement because it was effort to explain. It's just that some countries require degrees in order to be allocated a skilled workers visa e.g. a H1B Visa in the US; the alternative would be working for around a dozen years to get the required work experience in place of the degree for this Visa... But you are right.

Edit: Also, it's worth noting that, despite the international standing of ACCA, it is (as with most other accounting bodies) not recognised by some countries whom otherwise have alternatives (e.g. the CPA in the US). Unless the accounting bodies make international agreements (which they do negotiate from time to time), the qualification would be essentially useless unless employed at the discretion of an International business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JM98)
    Hi everyone,
    There are several routes in, some more direct than others.

1) School leavers programme. Do regular A-levels then do a sponsored degree / part time work followed by more in the office to finish qualifying.

2) A-levels, uni, grad scheme. Best option if you aren't sure about accountancy. You can do whatever you want at uni and still have a good chance of getting in.

3) No A-levels, do AAT. AAT is designed to be instead of sixth form. You can then choose to do ACA or ACCA afterwards to get fully qualified.

4) An apprenticeship, which will likely be some combination of 1 and 3.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the help everyone really appreciate it any more advice would be really helpful!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.