The Student Room Group

A Chemistry or Engineering degree?

Hi, I've been ringing up universities via Adjustment.

I'm in a position where I can either opt for:
-chemistry at the University of Birmingham
-chemistry at the University of Warwick
-chemical engineering at Aston University
-electrical with
energy engineering at the University of Birmingham
-civil with energy engineering at the University of Birmingham
-materials science with energy engineering at the University of Birmingham

I got As in both Chemistry and Biology and a B in maths. I'm prepared to cover the relevant topics in Physics through self study before uni starts. Will it be a big disadvantage not having done Physics at A-level?

Would you guys hold a opinion about which of the above courses carries the greatest weight in the job market?

Bursary wise over 4 years:
+£7000 with a chemistry course
at the University of Birmingham
+£6000 with a engineering course at the University of Birmingham
+£4800 with a chemistry course at Warwick
+£3200 with a chemical engineering course at Aston University

As you can see I'd be better off financially in the short term with chemistry at Birmingham. I, however, am unsure about the job prospects, that is where I need your opinion. I am sure I will be better off in the long term financially picking the degree with the best prospects rather than focusing on the bursaries.

PS
I'll be attending a clearing/adjustment open day tomorrow at both Aston and Birmingham, then on Saturday at Warwick.

Thanks.
I think the first thing to you need to assess is what you would like to do as a career. Chemistry and/engineering can lead down many different avenues in terms of career prospects. There is ultimately no right or wrong answer and for each individual it depends completely on how motivated you are and what you want to do in the future.

If you take solely chemistry you will get a good rounded knowledge of Chemistry and will have a broader range in that field. that's very useful to have if you want to go into post graduate study and complete chemistry to a higher level leading onto research. with a BSc in chemistry you can look at going into development work, analytical work, accountancy as many chemists use more mathematics than accountancy students so its a good opportunity. If you want you can usually complete a 2 year conversion course afterwards in Law and look at the route of becoming a patent attorney (very well paid and sought after). companies that work with raw materials will always have jobs for chemists... you've be surprised even places like Gregs Bakery have a team of chemists!

As for engineering on its own - there is a host of jobs out there in the construction, manufacturing, automotive and aerospace industries. its a case of what interests you now and what do you think will interest you in the future.

Combining the 2 opens many more doors, but also closes others. by doing a join honours degree you are putting yourself in a more niche position by having 2 skill sets, but at the same time removing yourself potentially from something that requires more of a chemistry of engineering knowledge as you will ultimately have less exposure to both subjects.

My advice would be to go ahead with whatever your heart tells you and what you think you want to do in the future. my personal experience would tell me that Chemistry is the best option, but if you want to get involved in the automotive industry I'd say Engineering - especially with central based universities and Jaguar Landrover and JCB on the doorstep you'll be very well placed to look for jobs as an engineer with potential of doing summer work. That said if you want to work in exhaust emissions after treatment the best bet is going for the combined!
Reply 2
Thank you very much for your reply. I have opted for chemical engineering at Aston after having read what you had to say and considering all my options.
Reply 3
Original post by Chem2013entry
Thank you very much for your reply. I have opted for chemical engineering at Aston after having read what you had to say and considering all my options.

well done, but make sure you understand that 10-20000 gbp extra after tax is not worth working in a crppy job

i suspect you know that chemical engineering is mostly physics
Reply 4
cut out aston uni chem eng straight away. they used my work to gain accreditation from the IChemE,, yet didn't give me a degree.

you're better off with Chemistry at BU. I read there were offering £26K for those who wanted to become chemistry teachers. this was a few years ago and I'm sure the ad was by the royal society of chemistry
Reply 5
true but still someone enquired who's starting this year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending