The Student Room Group

AS went pretty bad-I don't know what to do?

Hi,
I've just open my results and they weren't so good. They all came in UMS marks, and by the looks of it I've got B-Cs, and possibly a D(English lit close to an A).
The really upsetting thing is that my potential D was the subject which I wanted to study at uni. I feel pretty devastated. Without sounding like a boaster, I was predicted AAAB and work really hard for them.
I was hoping to apply to Oxford and Durham this year, but by the looks of it I should give them up; I'm just annoyed/upset about the fact that I've been hoping to apply to those unis for so long, and my hard work hasn't paid off in anyway.
I thought i should discuss with someone, rather than keeping it in.
Has anyone got any advise please?
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Just a quick note: This post was intended for another thread which seems to have disappeared, but hopefully you'll find it useful!

I too got pretty bad AS's (CDDDD) when I did them. However I decided to stay on and do my A2's and retake my worst AS's. Over the course of the year I realised that the reason I did so poorly was that I really wasn't into those subjects, and I didn't want to continue with them any further. I got BCC in the end. I then Went onto college and studied further A-levels in subjects that interested me a lot more (Business and Computing rather than Sciences and maths), and got significantly better grades. AAAB (Well, the equivalent anyway). And the actual standard of teaching was worse at the college than my sixth form.

What I'm trying to say is that you should look back on why you failed. Do you really enjoy the subjects as much as you think you do? If you really do, then I would retake the year. Having as many exams as I did was not fun! If not, then consider changing subjects or college/sixth form to study something new and exciting. In little over a month I'll be starting at the university I always wanted, on a course that really excites me, with like-minded students.

Having said that, I don't regret staying on at sixth form and doing y a-levels there. Sixth form was some of the greatest years of my school life. College, not so much. Plus, the look n people's faces when I say I have seven a-levels is priceless.
Reply 2
Hi for my AS results I did quite bad, I am looking at doing a psychology degree at university and I know the minimum I need is BBB to get into the unis within my area. I gpt BEUU with the B in psychology. Do you think I can still get my grades to get into uni and will they still even consider me
if isend my application this year?!

Quick Reply

Latest