Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Once I've completed high school, I have to go to something called National Service. It is about 2 years meaning that I will be two years older than other freshmen at university. I was wondering:
    1) Will this age difference affect me in any way? Not only socially, but also in terms of opportunities (activities, clubs etc.), which leads into
    2) Because I will be older when I graduate, will it be more difficult for me to secure a job (most likely attending uni in the US)? Will I be less desirable because of my older age?

ReputationRep:
    So you have to do army service for a statutory 2 year period prior to uni?

I don't know about the US, but supposing you're 20 when you enter uni, it can only be good right? Socially, you still can't drink (if you like that sort of thing), but when you hit 21 I understand you'll be.. ahem.. rather popular.

In the UK securing a job at an older age wouldn't be a problem. Dates of birth aren't recorded on CVs. It's what you do with your time that's important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisoneneedshelp)
    Once I've completed high school, I have to go to something called National Service. It is about 2 years meaning that I will be two years older than other freshmen at university. I was wondering:
    1) Will this age difference affect me in any way? Not only socially, but also in terms of opportunities (activities, clubs etc.), which leads into
    2) Because I will be older when I graduate, will it be more difficult for me to secure a job (most likely attending uni in the US)? Will I be less desirable because of my older age?
    First thing to note is that this is a UK-centric forum. If you want US-centric advice, then I would suggest trying the College Confidential site (TSR equivalent)

1. It's very common to find that UK students have taken a gap year, so will be 19 when they start and turn 20 in a few months. Plus there's not much difference when you're past school age, socially speaking. Certainly within the UK activities and other opportunities won't be restricted on the basis of your age.

2. Not within the UK. US might be a separate matter.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the late reply, completely forgot that I posted this since school just started again. Thanks for the answers, cuz it really does relieve some worries I had. And I never really thought about the drinking age so, I guess maybe I might be popular...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.