Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you're getting some sort of student account?

Staying with a bank you've been with previously or going for a new one that offers nice perks?

I think I'm going for Santander because of the 4 year Railcard they offer with the account.

ReputationRep:
    Ill be keeping my halifax current account and am in the process of setting up a Santander student account
    Halifax will hold my own savings while Santander will hold uni related stuff e.g. Money for food, ect

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rogers)

Staying with a bank you've been with previously or going for a new one that offers nice perks?

I think I'm going for Santander because of the 4 year Railcard they offer with the account.
    The most important thing I would consider with a student bank account is 0% overdrafts. I have been taking the "free money", YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY IT BACK AT THE END OF THE COURSE, and putting it in savings accounts at about 3% interest. I'm with co-op and they've been good. There's a Barclays and Santander on campus and many more in town but so long as you have a debit card and online banking you rarely need to make a physical trip to the bank. By spending a bit of time setting your finances up well, it will make it a lot easier in the future and can get you a bit of extra money. I know rates are terrible at the moment but it's still worth it. Also consider ISAs as they are a good way of getting tax free money and you need to set them up now if you want to use them in the future. There are full explanations of all of these online. I like http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

ReputationRep:

Im pretty much in the same with sockhead. Although my main account will be Lloyds TSB (my current account).

I wanted to stick with Lloyds at first because i thought the transition (normal acc to student acc) would be less hassle but tbh the rail card was a better benefit out of all the banks i researched, and I'm also in the process of setting up my account.

So far all I've done is fill out the online application then I've sent them a photocopy of my UCAS confirmation letter. Just waiting for them to tell me the next steps

My Santander account will most likely handle shopping, social spending, contracts for my phone and MacBook Pro. Then my Lloyds TSB account will act as my funding (accommodation etc) and savings account (since i already have one with them). Basically I wont touch my Lloyds TSB account unless its to transfer money into my Santander student account .

Plus i plan to go Manchester for days/nights out and hopefully see some nearby home or away games for united (man utd fan hehe ).

Good luck with your application

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tish)
    Im pretty much in the same with sockhead. Although my main account will be Lloyds TSB (my current account).

I wanted to stick with Lloyds at first because i thought the transition (normal acc to student acc) would be less hassle but tbh the rail card was a better benefit out of all the banks i researched, and I'm also in the process of setting up my account.

So far all I've done is fill out the online application then I've sent them a photocopy of my UCAS confirmation letter. Just waiting for them to tell me the next steps

My Santander account will most likely handle shopping, social spending, contracts for my phone and MacBook Pro. Then my Lloyds TSB account will act as my funding (accommodation etc) and savings account (since i already have one with them). Basically I wont touch my Lloyds TSB account unless its to transfer money into my Santander student account .

Plus i plan to go Manchester for days/nights out and hopefully see some nearby home or away games for united (man utd fan hehe ).

Good luck with your application

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I look forward to seeing you lose to Liverpool this season, Tish ;P

I too will be getting a Santander student account i think, no-one else seems to have anything better and I won't need my overdraft I don't think (It might even be possible to make some cash by "saving" my overdraft elsewhere, apparently this is OK)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry.Messenger)
    I look forward to seeing you lose to Liverpool this season, Tish ;P

I too will be getting a Santander student account i think, no-one else seems to have anything better and I won't need my overdraft I don't think (It might even be possible to make some cash by "saving" my overdraft elsewhere, apparently this is OK)
    You could setup an ISA with Santander via online banking or by asking them in the branch to set up 1 (i might). For now i wont need my overdraft but i might in the future :/ honestly i care more about the free railcard than the overdraft hehe ^_^.

Pah dont make me laugh, don't get me started on when the last time Liverpool won a trophy. And no I'm not a glory hunter i have supported united since I was little!

It'd be funny if we both went to a game then i would slowly see your smug face turn into a frown GGMU!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think I will go for the co-op option. They guarantee a certain amount of overdraft which can come handy when sort of money. If I get on the scholarship scheme Lancaster has then I should be able to pay back anything owed. Plus a rail card is only £2 a month.

Is a rail card worth it? How many times will you be catching the train each year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElliotW)
    I think I will go for the co-op option. They guarantee a certain amount of overdraft which can come handy when sort of money. If I get on the scholarship scheme Lancaster has then I should be able to pay back anything owed. Plus a rail card is only £2 a month.

Is a rail card worth it? How many times will you be catching the train each year?
    It doesn't really matter it might come in handy 2 years from now. Much more valuable than say an NUS Extra card. The railcard is worth £120 (£30 each year).

Idk where you got those figures from but it certainly isn't £2 a month!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tish)
    It doesn't really matter it might come in handy 2 years from now. Much more valuable than say an NUS Extra card. The railcard is worth £120 (£30 each year).

Idk where you got those figures from but it certainly isn't £2 a month!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well its only £70 for 3 years. 70/36 is £1.94 a month. The bank ups the price to entice students.
    http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    Well its only £70 for 3 years. 70/36 is £1.94 a month. The bank ups the price to entice students.
    http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/
    You don't get it. Basically if you was to buy a railcard separately each year thats £120.

If you buy a 3 year rail card onetime payment then its £70. Then if you upgrade that for another then its £100 so you save £20.

Regardless of these stats if you go with Santander your saving £100-£120 by getting a free 4 year railcard.

If you really need the money then by all means go with the co-op. I don't need it and feel that Santander fits nicely in the middle in terms of how much they give and the benefit is a great bonus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tish)
    Yeah but with the rail card you get 1/3 off tickets... I don't see where your getting these stats from.

On the website it says £30...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yh its £30 a year or you can buy upfront for 3 years which is £70 as you save £20 which will cover the 3 year course

ReputationRep:
    Yh its £30 a year or you can buy upfront for 3 years which is £70 as you save £20 which will cover the 3 year course
    I edited my post ^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

From Lancaster to my home town, sometimes it costs £60 for a return ticket and my parents won't drive it.

So I could save £20 each time I visit.

If I visit one a term, thats £60 a year I've saved. I think a free railcard is worth it.

ReputationRep:
    From Lancaster to my home town, sometimes it costs £60 for a return ticket and my parents won't drive it.

If I visit one a term, thats £60 a year I've saved. I think a free railcard is worth it.
    Same from Lancaster to Birmingham it costs around £40-£55.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tish)
    Same from Lancaster to Birmingham it costs around £40-£55.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah exactly
    I have to go to Birmingham then get a ticket to my town (another £8) because I live just outside Birmingham!

So even if it was £48 minimum then I'd still save £16 each time with a railcard, it's well worth it for me.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah exactly
    I have to go to Birmingham then get a ticket to my town (another £8) because I live just outside Birmingham!

So even if it was £48 minimum then I'd still save £16 each time with a railcard, it's well worth it for me.
    Hehe where you from like Solihull/Coventry/Wolves or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tish)
    Hehe where you from like Solihull/Coventry/Wolves or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Kidderminster

ReputationRep:

Wow i didn't know cost so much. I guess santander would be the best choice then. Do you know what type of evidence you need to apply for one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9markiii)
    The most important thing I would consider with a student bank account is 0% overdrafts. I have been taking the "free money", YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY IT BACK AT THE END OF THE COURSE, and putting it in savings accounts at about 3% interest. I'm with co-op and they've been good. There's a Barclays and Santander on campus and many more in town but so long as you have a debit card and online banking you rarely need to make a physical trip to the bank. By spending a bit of time setting your finances up well, it will make it a lot easier in the future and can get you a bit of extra money. I know rates are terrible at the moment but it's still worth it. Also consider ISAs as they are a good way of getting tax free money and you need to set them up now if you want to use them in the future. There are full explanations of all of these online. I like http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/
    Is there a NatWest on campus?

In response to the OP, that's who I'm with and my current account switches over to a student one in October. I think I get £750 interest free overdraft in the first year.

ReputationRep:
    What banks are there on campus? I keep reading slightly different things, some saying there's a Santander, Barclays and Natwest on campus, and others saying that there's only one or two of those three banks on campus...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.