Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there are plenty of people in my situation but there is very little information on what to do and what other people gone on and done.

My grades are A*BBB. One B is 1UMS from an A and the other two by 20UMS. I missed my firm and insurance offer but fortunately have been accepted by my insurance after calling them up.

Should I accept my insurance, Sheffield, or take a gap year and re-apply with better grades and hopefully get into the unis I really wanted to get in: Edinburgh and UCL
    But would I be put at a disadvantage if I re-took some a-level modules - does it depend on how many I am re-taking. and because I'm applying for science degree it would be very hard to find any work experience/internship opportunities during the gap year.

Please, any advice would be really helpful!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Only you can decide what's best for you.

Are you sure you don't want to go to Sheffield? You have a gaurenteed place there, and presumably you liked it when you put it as your insurance.

Re-taking may put you at a disadvantage, so we can't say if UCL and Edinburgh will accept you next time around. What degree are you interested in specifically? For some sciences, you may be able to find relevant unpaid work experience, especially now you are over 18. Perhaps if you are more specific, people can suggest things to you.

ReputationRep:
    yeh thats basically the issue, you're not gauntleted the offer next year. If I was assured with the offer next year then I would retake but im not prepared to waste a year of my life for that so gonna go to my insurance

ReputationRep:
    What subject at Sheffield? Just wondering because it's quite highly ranked in the sciences and is competitive with both the universities you named with the exception of maths, it also tends to have slightly higher graduate prospects and student satisfaction.

ReputationRep:
    Any experiences?

ReputationRep:
    Any experiences

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.