Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Geology vs Biology? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Could you help with my subject choice for the A2. I currently finished AS in biology, geography, maths and physics. Also, done A2 Russian. In maths and physics I did not do as well as I expected. So could you give me advice on whether to drop maths and physics. I would like to apply for either geology, geography or biology. Would biology, geography and Russian A-Level will prevent me to applying to good universities (eg. Southampton, St Andrews, etc...) to do the above subjects?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well for geology, Southampton ask for two subjects from Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Geography, Maths or Physics so you are eligible to apply. However they may have a preference over one subject or another, so it might be worth asking them. Are you dropping both maths and physics or just one of them? As long as you have the maths or physics to accompany the others then you'll be fine.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben Kenobi)
    Hi. Could you help with my subject choice for the A2. I currently finished AS in biology, geography, maths and physics. Also, done A2 Russian. In maths and physics I did not do as well as I expected. So could you give me advice on whether to drop maths and physics. I would like to apply for either geology, geography or biology. Would biology, geography and Russian A-Level will prevent me to applying to good universities (eg. Southampton, St Andrews, etc...) to do the above subjects?
    Thanks

Be careful trying to use Russian in your A levels for Uni entry. By taking Russian to A2 in year 12 suggests you are a native Russian speaker, ie it isn't a learnt language the same as French A level might be for the average English student. If that is the case, even if you are English and live in a Russian speaking family, many top end Universities may not accept Russian as one of your application A levels.

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest that you keep Maths on as it is a very useful subject to have for Biology in particular. Many universities also ask for chemistry so make sure you choose carefully I am sure most universities would prefer that to Russian however if you feel it is not something you would cope with nor enjoy it may impact on your results. Maths and Physics certainly help each other.
    My daughter is doing Biology and find the maths very useful.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.