Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the best option for me now? - disappointing A levels Watch

ReputationRep:
    I received my grades today and got BBC. My firm and insurance were both AAB and ABB so I missed both offers. I have decided not to go through clearing this year, but to instead resit a few exams to bring my overall grades back up (I got ABB at AS) and was aiming for AAB at A2.
    I'm fairly confident at bringing my Bs up to As with a bit of hard work but my C was in English Literature. I don't plan on returning to my college but self teaching and I'm pretty sure that English Lit will be impossible to self teach - so I'm stuck on what to do?!
    My options are:
    1. Leave the C as a C (which will hugely impact the unis I can apply to next year)
    2. Self teach an AS in a new subject (will an A in an AS make up for a C in my A2?!)
    3. Attempt to self teach myself a whole new A2 (I think this is pretty much impossible in a year whilst doing other things)
    4. Resit English literature (I don't know how I could teach myself such a discussion based subject though)

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hard luck mate. But don't give up. I can tell you have the ambition to do well, which is really the first step towards fixing up. I believe you cannot resit individual A levels modules after the two year completion rather you'd have to re-sit all of them again. However there are loads of adult colleges that offer intensive 1 year A level courses where you can learn re-learn English Lit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sertobe)
    Hard luck mate. But don't give up. I can tell you have the ambition to do well, which is really the first step towards fixing up. I believe you cannot resit individual A levels modules after the two year completion rather you'd have to re-sit all of them again. However there are loads of adult colleges that offer intensive 1 year A level courses where you can learn re-learn English Lit.
    And I didn't know this! I thought that it was possible to resit individual modules?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any advice :-)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babylotion)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I more or less self taught AS English Literature. It's not difficult. My texts were quite mainstream but my poems weren't.
    However, this forced me to analyse the poems myself. I went from a C in AS English Literature to an A recently on results day. With a B overall in A2 English Literature (my coursework was marked down from an A to a B, which brought my grade down).

There are loads of websites that analyse literature texts in depth which can give you ideas as to how to analyse the texts you will be reading.

But it is very possible. I resat AS modules for English Literature in A2 year. It's difficult but possible. It's all about knowing your texts inside out and being able to analyse quotes in depth and construct them to any essay question/theme you'll be writing about in the exam.

I cannot preach enough how important past paper questions are. Specially writing thorough essay plans for past paper essay questions. Keep in contact with your English Literature teachers. Email them your essay plans and they may help you.

If you can afford it get a tutor or sign up for adult classes.

I wouldn't advise self teaching a completely new AS. A lot of people did that in my college and the majority of them regretted it. It's a lot of work. It's better to stick to a subject you have already done such as English Literature than attempting a whole new subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babylotion)
    Honestly I'd just go back to college and repeat the year in all fairness...

you get it for free for the extra year assuming you haven't repeated a year or anything before hand so you may as well just go back and enjoy yourself. School/college is pretty fun when you think about it and it certainly beats sitting at home alone trying to study by yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about your results! But if you really don't want to go back to school why don't you hire a tutor for the subjects you need? Such as eng lit

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.