Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm a 14 year old girl and I'm seriously scared because when mental health programs come on TV I'm jealous of those with eating disorders. Can someone please tell me what I should do?

I'm not looking for someone to say that I'm an 'attention seeking whore' because I know I shouldn't want Anorexia or Bulimia. I want someone to tell me if this is more common than I think for a teenager or if there's something I could do to stop this.

Please help...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you fat?

ReputationRep:
    No...I'm not a stick but I'm not fat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have an ED. But I totally understand why you are jealous, I used to be until I actually got one. People who have EDs are often thin except those with binge eating disorders. And it might be that you just want to be thin, and you think that by having an ED you will get that. But keep in mind it is a mental health problem, with other issues such as future infertility,rotten teeth, hair loss. Lack of energy also can make you do bad in exams, or self harm due to bad decision making, and also miss out a good period of your life. You really don't want one of these.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isit_j)
    I have an ED. But I totally understand why you are jealous, I used to be until I actually got one. People who EDs are often thin except those with binge eating disorders. And it might be that you just want to be thin, and you think that by having an ED you will get that. But keep in mind it is a mental health problem, with other issues such as future infertility,rotten teeth, hair loss. Lack of energy also can make you do bad in exams, or self harm due to bad decision making, and also miss out a good period of your life. You really don't want one of these.
    Ok. Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think you should study and learn more about the illnesses, find documentaries to watch and papers and books to read on the subject, real life accounts might be interesting. If you have a better understanding of the illnesses and how they affect people in all aspects of their lives, you might be less inclined towards jealousy. Learning about it could also help because perhaps part of your feelings are down to curiosity?? Learning more would help satiate that.

I don't know if you think its similar but I've always had a weird thing with pregnancy... A fascination and desire to experience it first hand, even as a teenager, and more the fascination with pregancy than the end result for the first few years, but I satisfy my interests until I'm in the right place to experience that with tv shows, films, YouTube blogs (following real peoples experiences) and books. Its a healthy outlet...

ReputationRep:
    Don't try and get an ED it's a horrible thing to recover from. Instead my advice would be to eat healthily and exercise to get a slimmer figure without obsessively restricting your calories - food is fuel! You may end up with physical problems too e.g. hair loss) Just think carefully about what you are saying as a mental health condition is serious and you are better off without one!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.