The Student Room Group

If I get rejected from all 4 Medical Schools?

So I've just got my AS results and I was looking to apply for medicine for 2014. The only thing is for personal reasons I can't take a gap year if I'm rejected and was wondering what the options are next?

I'd like to go for pharmacy if rejected from medicine but is there any option apart from clearing?

Since med hopefuls apply earlier than other courses, is it possible to get in touch with a uni and ask them directly if they would be willing to give me a place in pharmacy? I heard it was possible to contact the uni and sometimes they allow you to send a different personal statement?

Id really appreciate it if someone could shed some light on possible options.
Im guessing it would be kinda impossible for unis such as notts or manchester in terms of pharmacy.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Miss_AK
So I've just got my AS results and I was looking to apply for medicine for 2014. The only thing is for personal reasons I can't take a gap year if I'm rejected and was wondering what the options are next?

I'd like to go for pharmacy if rejected from medicine but is there any option apart from clearing?

Since med hopefuls apply earlier than other courses, is it possible to get in touch with a uni and ask them directly if they would be willing to give me a place in pharmacy? I heard it was possible to contact the uni and sometimes they allow you to send a different personal statement?

Im guessing it would be kinda impossible for unis such as notts or manchester in terms of pharmacy.

Thanks!

You can always apply for Pharmacy as your 5th choice on UCAS. Make sure they're happy with you writing a medicine PS though. If they are happy for all this, you will usually get an offer from them!
Reply 2
Original post by Miss_AK

Thanks!

i'm kinda in this situation now, i got an offer for medicine at liverpool in april, just got my grades and missed out getting ABB, i rang up for clearing today and have an offer from uea for pharmacy. i still really wanna do medicine so i'm desperately trying to find out if i can switch after like a year or two of pharmacy
Reply 3
Original post by maazmania
i'm kinda in this situation now, i got an offer for medicine at liverpool in april, just got my grades and missed out getting ABB, i rang up for clearing today and have an offer from uea for pharmacy. i still really wanna do medicine so i'm desperately trying to find out if i can switch after like a year or two of pharmacy

You can, but only to a select few universities and it is pretty much frowned upon heavily:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_for_Medicine_Whilst_on_a_Different_Course
Reply 4
I got my as results today and got ABBC. I am dropping physics which I got a C in, and carrying on history which I got an A and bio and chem which I got Bs. Hopefully ill be predicted AAA or A*AA. I know this is fine for med but will the C let me down?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Miss_AK

Thanks!

hey, i had an offer from liverpool for medicine but unfortunately didn't meet it. so i did 2 things, firstly i accepted my pharmacy insurance choice, when picking an insurance i would try to pick something which will give me a very good chance of finding a job quite easily. I then started looking at medicine abroad, when considering foreign medical schools you should find out if you have to take any exams to get back to the uk to practice medicine. I would recommend medical schools in the czech republic as most of them do not require you to sit any entrance exams to come back to the uk, so after you've graduated from the university you can come back to the uk with no problem. a family friend of mine went to palacky university in olomouc (a few hours away from prague), he's been back in the uk for a few years now and highly recommends palacky. I took the entrance exam in august and got in (it was fairly easy as i just needed to get 50% in each section which is bio, chem and either maths or physics). what i'm recommending my younger brother to do is take palacky's entrance exam in june after his a level exams as he'll still be able to remember most of his revision from the a level exams and therefore wouldn't have to do much preparation for the entrance exam. this way he'll have a back up just incase he doesn't meet his offers (i'm sure he will as he's smarter than me :P ).

ps. i would ring the pharmacy schools you're interested and ask them whether you can send in a different ps, i did this and the majority didn't want me to but a few such as durham and uea were fine with me sending them a different one :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by islandboy
I got my as results today and got ABBC. I am dropping physics which I got a C in, and carrying on history which I got an A and bio and chem which I got Bs. Hopefully ill be predicted AAA or A*AA. I know this is fine for med but will the C let me down?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on the university. Some universities require only 3 A-level grades whereas others require a B or A in an additional AS subject - see here
Enter a pharmacy uni as your 5th choice. I have two friends that did that and are currently doing pharmacy. One got 4 rejections for medicine but got of a pharmacy offer from their medicine statement and is doing it at Aston university; the other had it as their insurance but missed their medicine offer so is now doing pharmacy at UEA.
Reply 8
You can apply for pharmacy as a fifth choice and do post graduate Medicine 4 year degree.
Reply 9
Hi,
There is always an option to do a biomedical science degree as a 5th choice because medical schools like that and your personal statement will be fairly tailored towards it..

Good luck whatever you choose

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending