Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi basically I got ABC but I was predicted AAB and so I missed out on my firm choice (king's college) but was accepted by my insurance (queen Mary UoL). I was and still am really disappointed with this especially because I've found out that my B was 5 ums from an A and my C was 1 ums from a B. I called kcl this morning and they said that they couldn't accept anyone with less than AAB but would hold my place till 31st aug if I was successful with a remark. So now I have no idea what to do because I had put my hopes onto kcl and kind of forgotten about Qmul so I'm worried that I won't like Qmul. So I don't know if I should go for the re-marks, accept Qmul or look through other clearing ops. Sorry for the long post but can anyone help/ had any similar experiences?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliviarheya)
    Hi basically I got ABC but I was predicted AAB and so I missed out on my firm choice (king's college) but was accepted by my insurance (queen Mary UoL). I was and still am really disappointed with this especially because I've found out that my B was 5 ums from an A and my C was 1 ums from a B. I called kcl this morning and they said that they couldn't accept anyone with less than AAB but would hold my place till 31st aug if I was successful with a remark. So now I have no idea what to do because I had put my hopes onto kcl and kind of forgotten about Qmul so I'm worried that I won't like Qmul. So I don't know if I should go for the re-marks, accept Qmul or look through other clearing ops. Sorry for the long post but can anyone help/ had any similar experiences?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When considering remarks the best thing to do is to talk to your school about it and ask them if they think it's worth getting a remark. They'll know your abilities and whether those are reflected in your grades and can also help with applying for a remark. The good news is that KCL have agreed to hold the place for you if you do decide to get a remark, but it needs to be a priority remark to come back in time.

As to your Clearing options, by all means see what is out there but remember that you presumably (hopefully?) chose QMUL for a reason over other universities. Obviously it's disappointing that things haven't worked out for KCL (so far) but you shouldn't let that disappointment cloud your opinion of QMUL too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliviarheya)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You have the chance to go to KCL, so if you want that chance I suggest you organise priority remarks ASAP and let them know you're doing this and wish to keep your place.

If you'd rather get a confirmed place now, think about why you put QMUL as your Insurance. If you're in London you could pop over to Mile End tomorrow morning and wander about campus, get a feel for the place and see if you like it.

ReputationRep:
    I went through the same thing two years ago. Don't panic about it, ask for priority remark on the borderline marks. If your grades increase, King's are obliged to still accept you. If your grades don't increase, don't make a rash decision and dismiss your insurance, it's still pretty fresh and it's a horrible experience when you have your heart set on your first choice.

If you really don't want to go (from experience as I did this!) it is a far less stressful when you have your grades when you apply. If you can, don't fret about deferring a year to resit some modules or do another course if your heart is set on King's. If your parents get tax credits for you, they'll still get funding so long as you're in education until you're 20. I got four unconditional offers the second time round and one conditional (I took another course after my A levels) and it took all the pressure off. But beware, I was informed that if you've been accepted by your insurance you cannot enter clearing, even if you are released from your insurance choice.

Good luck if you go ahead with the remarks and best of luck for the future!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi thank you all for your replies I think I'll go for the remarks just because I don't have much to lose either way, I doubt I'd be able to cope with the 'what ifs'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation.
    Missed my firm by one mark
    now i'm waiting..

only problem is I don't know how long this remark will take:/ and I have to reply to my other offers by the 20th.
    anybody know how long? It was a priority one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura75)
    I'm in a similar situation.
    Missed my firm by one mark
    now i'm waiting..

only problem is I don't know how long this remark will take:/ and I have to reply to my other offers by the 20th.
    anybody know how long? It was a priority one
    I'll be honest with you - the prospects of getting your remark back by the 20th are slim. Edxecel's website only promises priority remarks will be back within 18 days, which puts them after the 31st of August even from the outset. Your firm must keep your place open until you've had the remark back unless it's not done by 31st August. However, it's a high stakes gamble and you will need to give serious consideration to how likely you think it is to be successful.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.
    I held no offers but got A*AA this morning, I applied to Leeds and they made me a verbal offer for Accounting and Finance but the course does not show on the track website and they've said they'll hold the course till tomorrow. ANY ADVICE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    I'll be honest with you - the prospects of getting your remark back by the 20th are slim. Edxecel's website only promises priority remarks will be back within 18 days, which puts them after the 31st of August even from the outset. Your firm must keep your place open until you've had the remark back unless it's not done by 31st August. However, it's a high stakes gamble and you will need to give serious consideration to how likely you think it is to be successful.
    Thought so:/

If I reply to an offer by the 20th, I take it the firm wouldn't see the need to keep the place until the 31st?

Will kick myself if I get the extra mark though

ReputationRep:
    Thought so:/

If I reply to an offer by the 20th, I take it the firm wouldn't see the need to keep the place until the 31st?

Will kick myself if I get the extra mark though
    I think you need to get PQ or Minerva in on this, because technically, you have until the 31st to meet your conditions for your firm but I'm not sure what happens if you have accepted somewhere else. I'm having a senior moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    I think you need to get PQ or Minerva in on this, because technically, you have until the 31st to meet your conditions for your firm but I'm not sure what happens if you have accepted somewhere else. I'm having a senior moment.
    ahahaha it's fine!
    I'm majorly confused - it's been a long day!

ReputationRep:
    You are very likely to have missed your opportunity at knigs but get the tests remarked and you may have slim chance but the spaces are full

I think you should settle with the insurance.

That is why swatting for exams is important

ReputationRep:
    ahahaha it's fine!
    I'm majorly confused - it's been a long day!
    It certainly has, and I'm no longer young enough to cope....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.