Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Great subject at bad uni or soft subject at better uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer to do Law at a university that doesn't have the best overall reputation, and also an offer to do English and Philosophy at a MUCH better uni. I hate to be one of those people that put so much emphasis on what university you go to, but sometimes it does make a difference. :unsure:

English and Philosophy is obviously not vocational, but surely job prospects would be better since it would be from a good uni? If I decided to actually become a lawyer (which I'm still unsure about), I think I'd struggle with a degree from an ex poly.

Dunno what to do!

Basically, Law at Nottingham Trent (good department but ranked really low for undergraduate Law) or English and Philosophy at Uni of Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    We can't say unless you tell us the uni

If it's like Oxford vs Manchester then always go for oxford since one is clearly better than the other regardless of opinion

But if it's like Warwick vs Manchester then go for the one you prefer

ReputationRep:
    Depends how soft you mean, if its like a language or animal science then its not worth it.

If its like Economics at City compared to Accountancy at LSE then its worth going to a better uni

Often the sad reality is that employers care more about which uni you came from, and since you are unsure I would definitely think about this.

I had a similar choice when I went to university, and I chose the uni with the "better" reputation, and I have not regretted it. As it has helped me greatly in getting internships and the likes...

ReputationRep:
      As others have said: you really need to state the universities you have chosen.

ReputationRep:
      Maybe go with option B, but it wont be soft subject, working hard is included and once you get your IB, maybe setting urself as a law student would be the best with a juris doctor degree. Doesnt sound to bad, just one thing, effort to the max is needed.

ReputationRep:
      Well it's either Law at Nottingham Trent, which is ranked really low for undergraduate Law, or English and Philosophy at University of Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
      English and philosophy isnt soft. i thought it would be media studies or something.

ReputationRep:
      I'd go with Nottingham. University prestige seems to carry more weight than degree-specification in wider employment.

ReputationRep:
      do you want to be a lawyer? OP

ReputationRep:
      You probably won't get a job in the legal profession if you go to Nottingham Trent and do Law, there's far too much competition. I would definitely go for Nottingham University, and then consider a conversion course after that, it won't hold you back. I don't mean to be blunt, but its the truth.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by WeeGuy)
      do you want to be a lawyer? OP
      That's part of the problem. For a long time I thought I did, then I started having doubts and I realised although I like the subject a great deal, I'm still not sure I actually want a career in law.

ReputationRep:
      I would say Nottingham, but to be honest it should be a personal decision, go for the subject which you enjoy most
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      I am not one of those people who put a lot of emphasis on university reputation, but if you really want to go into the law profession then I would go for the English and Philosophy at Nottingham. Law is very competitive and sadly you are judged on the university you attend.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Envy*)
      That's part of the problem. For a long time I thought I did, then I started having doubts and I realised although I like the subject a great deal, I'm still not sure I actually want a career in law.
      well if youre not sure i would study at Notts Philosophy & English. better uni good course.

plus you can do a 2 year law degree after (finance might be a factor)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by J0hnz1)
      You probably won't get a job in the legal profession if you go to Nottingham Trent and do Law, there's far too much competition. I would definitely go for Nottingham University, and then consider a conversion course after that, it won't hold you back. I don't mean to be blunt, but its the truth.
      Yeah this is what I thought. At the end of the day, in a field as competitive as law you really need to be coming from the higher spectrum of universities.
      • Community Assistant
      • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Envy*)

Then English and Philosophy at Nottingham, 3 years to ponder a career in law, and if you still want it, a one year GDL.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Envy*)
      I have an offer to do Law at a university that doesn't have the best overall reputation, and also an offer to do English and Philosophy at a MUCH better uni. I hate to be one of those people that put so much emphasis on what university you go to, but sometimes it does make a difference. :unsure:

English and Philosophy is obviously not vocational, but surely job prospects would be better since it would be from a good uni? If I decided to actually become a lawyer (which I'm still unsure about), I think I'd struggle with a degree from an ex poly.

Dunno what to do!

Basically, Law at Nottingham Trent (good department but ranked really low for undergraduate Law) or English and Philosophy at Uni of Nottingham.
      Surely English & Philosophy would be more enjoyable than Law.

Seriously, for Law, you could always do a Law conversion course after your undergraduate degree, so I would go for the degree you would enjoy more. If you think you would enjoy both equally, I would go for the "better" university - you personally don't lose anything by it, and even if it makes no difference to most people, it could make a difference to some people at some point in the future.

ReputationRep:
      Thanks for the replies guys, really helped a lot

ReputationRep:
      I understand your issue but I agree with others who have said that you have to choose a course you like and a place where you feel comfortable and could liv and study. Taking a degree is hard work and there will be times when you question why you are there, so you have to start off with the right motivations and not based on some idea of how great your life will be in 5yrs.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.