Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied for science and football as my firm and sport science as my insurance at Liverpool John Moores with a conditional offer of a minimum of 280 UCAS points and with my predicted grades as AAE. I rang LJMU after I got my results and confirming if they got my request for special consideration after a bereavement just before my first June exams and to say that I was getting a paper remarked as I was one raw mark off getting an A in the subject to obtain AAE instead of the current ABE. Admissions then told me that they have rejected me based on the E grade even though they knew that the E grade is predicted, and then told me that any uni that I could apply to would instantly reject my for sport science based on the E grade. So they offered me sports development and physical education because there's too few people on the course. Does this sound harsh to anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you got the E in, if it Biology then you can kind of understand where they are coming from. You could always accept the offer they have given and try transferring courses when you get there?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hey, firstly what was your actual condition?

If the E was in a subject that they wanted a higher grade in then they could potentially reject you. :sadnod:

In addition, looking at your points it seems that you've missed your offer. You need to ask the university that if your remark comes back successfully will they accept you onto the original course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam_town1)
    I applied for science and football as my firm and sport science as my insurance at Liverpool John Moores with a conditional offer of a minimum of 280 UCAS points and with my predicted grades as AAE. I rang LJMU after I got my results and confirming if they got my request for special consideration after a bereavement just before my first June exams and to say that I was getting a paper remarked as I was one raw mark off getting an A in the subject to obtain AAE instead of the current ABE. Admissions then told me that they have rejected me based on the E grade even though they knew that the E grade is predicted, and then told me that any uni that I could apply to would instantly reject my for sport science based on the E grade. So they offered me sports development and physical education because there's too few people on the course. Does this sound harsh to anyone?
    What was the E in - were there any additional requirements

Does not actually sound that harsh if they are filled with people who got the grades then there is no space for you

Is the third option not really what you want
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it is a bit harsh but as you failed to meet the conditions they are well within their rights to reject you. Yes they knew you were predicted an E, but often people manage to do better than predicted and meet higher offers. If the course is full then it's fair enough really.

As for telling you that other universities would reject you because of the E - that depends on what the A level was in. If it is in an important related subject then they may have a point (although obviously only the unis themselves can say whether they would accept you or not for that course). However, it may not matter so much for other degree subjects, so you could look into alternatives if you don't like what they are offering.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it was biology. I explained that the grade (although expected) wasn't representative of my ability in biology, I got an A in PE, and 100% in the Health and Social Care coursework that was pure biology, and that the teacher wasn't to the best standards (as he really wasn't, I ended up getting a local med student as a private tutor. His June resit line was longer than all the biology teachers combined and mostly every one of his students did badly, including me). I've been told to go to Mid-Cheshire college and do an extended science BTEC go gain another 3 A-Levels. I'm gutted as I'm the only one out of my friends who hasn't got into uni

ReputationRep:
    I get what you are driving at, as I had a family member die a couple of days before my first exam, I would of performed better in biology, but then again, I tried my absolute best to get the highest grade possible

ReputationRep:
    It was a conditional offer of obtaining a minimum of 280 UCAS points (lowered due to special consideration). I'm at 260 at the moment, could go up to 280 with paper remark
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: The thread updated whilst I was typing. Because it's a subject vital to sports science, you'd probably be better spending next year improving your grades. It seems a lot less harsh now.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it was biology. I explained that the grade (although expected) wasn't representative of my ability in biology, I got an A in PE, and 100% in the Health and Social Care coursework that was pure biology, and that the teacher wasn't to the best standards (as he really wasn't, I ended up getting a local med student as a private tutor. His June resit line was longer than all the biology teachers combined and mostly every one of his students did badly, including me). I've been told to go to Mid-Cheshire college and do an extended science BTEC go gain another 3 A-Levels. I'm gutted as I'm the only one out of my friends who hasn't got into uni
    Ok, so it was biology so I can see why they are not taking you for the science or sports science

You have got in to university - you can do the sports development course - is this not right for you
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I get what you are driving at, as I had a family member die a couple of days before my first exam, I would of performed better in biology, but then again, I tried my absolute best to get the highest grade possible
    They like you enough to offer you an alternative course though. Would you be interested in taking it up?

ReputationRep:
    Out of line? Perhaps yes, I'm still quite angry with myself for not getting better results after piling all of my effort into it. I'd like to point out that I'm not trying to milk the special consideration for all it's worth, it's just that it was unexpected and came at a very crucial time and was a massive distraction. I know that the grades I've got are no one's fault but my own. Science and football/sport science was what I really wanted to do and slipped away at the last moment. My behaviour's down to the realisation that I wasn't good enough, that's all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    They like you enough to offer you an alternative course though. Would you be interested in taking it up?
    I suspect the only reason they did that is because my mum's supervisor is working in admissions/clearing at the moment, then again, I could be wrong. The course they've offered isn't perfect (and really isn't suited to me) as I'm there for the love of science as much as the sport, but beggars can't be choosers, and I have a few friends at LJMU who want me to do it, but my mum wants me to do an extended science BTEC for 2 years and get 3 extra A-Levels

ReputationRep:
    Out of line? Perhaps yes, I'm still quite angry with myself for not getting better results after piling all of my effort into it. I'd like to point out that I'm not trying to milk the special consideration for all it's worth, it's just that it was unexpected and came at a very crucial time and was a massive distraction. I know that the grades I've got are no one's fault but my own. Science and football/sport science was what I really wanted to do and slipped away at the last moment. My behaviour's down to the realisation that I wasn't good enough, that's all
    You may find it useful to quote the person that you are responding to as this post does not really make a lot of sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    You may find it useful to quote the person that you are responding to as this post does not really make a lot of sense
    Quite right, my bad

ReputationRep:
    Taking a year out to get into your chosen course, instead of just doing a course for the sake of getting into university may be a decision you will think about your whole life. You should do, what helps you the most in the long run and not what you think you should do, as getting into university as all others. It is about you, not about somebody else.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I suspect the only reason they did that is because my mum's supervisor is working in admissions/clearing at the moment, then again, I could be wrong. The course they've offered isn't perfect (and really isn't suited to me) as I'm there for the love of science as much as the sport, but beggars can't be choosers, and I have a few friends at LJMU who want me to do it, but my mum wants me to do an extended science BTEC for 2 years and get 3 extra A-Levels
    If it's not suited to you and you're still set on your original course have you considered retaking Biology?

ReputationRep:
    The course they've offered isn't perfect (and really isn't suited to me) as I'm there for the love of science as much as the sport, but beggars can't be choosers,
    Look at retaking college then

It is not worth going to uni just because your mates are going

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    If it's not suited to you and you're still set on your original course have you considered retaking Biology?
    The college I go to doesn't allow you to retake individual subjects, so I have to repeat the A2 year or do the BTEC at another college

ReputationRep:
    this isn't the empathy-parade.. this is how life works i'm afraid, in your career absolutely no-one will give you much regard for a bereavement if it distracts you from your goals- neither will they if you have kids, marital problems, personal problems,etc.

it's not the nicest thing, but it's just reality, and whether you choose to accept it is down to you. you can choose to redo it, which would only effectively cost you 1 year whilst you could also be doing something useful like a working gap year, or you could accept what they say.

don't waste your time looking on forums for emotional support- either do what you need to do.. or don't.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.