Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to improve my self esteem Watch

I feel very insecure about myself- when people look at me I always think they are judging me for what I wear or how I look. Also I avoid speaking to people occasionally because I don't want them to judge me.

I also don't speak much to people so I guess improving my self esteem will help with this?

So... how do I improve it? Sure I could go to the gym and get new clothes but this won't make me very attractive- i'm not the type of person who could possibly be attractive.

Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I have found that insecurities can be dealt with mentally rather than physically, so I would not suggest that you spend time/money working on your appearance (as you have said; buying new clothes or going to the gym).

What exactly are you insecure about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I feel very insecure about myself- when people look at me I always think they are judging me for what I wear or how I look. Also I avoid speaking to people occasionally because I don't want them to judge me.

I also don't speak much to people so I guess improving my self esteem will help with this?

So... how do I improve it? Sure I could go to the gym and get new clothes but this won't make me very attractive- i'm not the type of person who could possibly be attractive.

Any ideas?
    PM me for chat.

I am the same.

If you're a boy though, I reckon going down to the gym would help improve your confidence. That's what everyone else always says.

(Original post by SHallowvale)
      Personally, I have found that insecurities can be dealt with mentally rather than physically, so I would not suggest that you spend time/money working on your appearance (as you have said; buying new clothes or going to the gym).

What exactly are you insecure about?
      My looks, the way I dress, my complete lack of social skills, doing stuff I wouldn't normally do (gym, for example), what people might think of me etc.

ReputationRep:
      with the gym it is not just the overall effect which makes a person feel better about themselves, its the endorphines you get from every work out. sometimes if you have too much free time , you have too much time to think. i would advise against this, rather do something constructive. i started exercising and it changed my mind set, i do it to feel good at the end of a gym session, not for the end result of losing weight, and that s much more motivating.

I feel very insecure all the time. I always think I am ignored. I feel like I'm nothing. No one will ever like me.
      I am less than nothing. I am a failure myself. I am nothing but an embarrassment. People look down on me.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonymous)
      I feel very insecure all the time. I always think I am ignored. I feel like I'm nothing. No one will ever like me.
      I am less than nothing. I am a failure myself. I am nothing but an embarrassment. People look down on me.
      I'm the same and I'm going into therapy to deal with these issues - CBT. Perhaps you might want to consider the same.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 16, 2013
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.