Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm really worried about my extended essay right now. I am writing it on economics, a subject which I have never learned before (self learned just out of my own interest), and the first draft is due next week.

Getting to the point, my question at the moment is - To what extent is the market structure of mobile network operators (MNOs) in Blankenese (Germany) oligopolistic, and how does it affect the customers?

This was suggested by my supervisor, but I'm not entirely sure if this is an okay question, because I think I've read in EE guides that answering two questions in one research question is not a good idea.

I told this to my supervisor, and he told me that in this case, the two questions are related to each other so it should be no problem - but what do you guys think?

Just looking at what market structure best illustrates the industry of mobile network operator would be really simple, as there are only four MNOs in Germany and there are extremely high barriers to entry. It wouldn't take me anything close to 4,000 words to finish the extended essay, but also looking at its impact... I'm not so sure if it is a good idea. Could anyone shed a light to this problem please?

ReputationRep:
    Depending on how much research material you can get you wouldn't need the customers bit. You're gonna get a lot of words into that essay simply by analysing and describing the data you'll be getting. Add in intros, conclusions, etc and it'll be good.

ReputationRep:
    "What do you mean by analysing and describing the data I will be getting? I have annual reports from all four companies - market shares, number of customers, revenues (for secondary data), and also I am planning to do a survey on like 50~100 people and ask them what operator they are using, how much people are paying per month etc. What more do you think is needed?"

I believe that'll be fine for now. Talk about what the annual reports represent, your survey results, etc. and you'll have a few words in. I really think you're going on the right track and if you have that much data you should go for it. =]

ReputationRep:
    The question seems pretty straight forward...

- determine if the market is oligopolistic backing your claims up with evidence i.e. data analysed after using concentration ratios. Maybe look at how many other small competitors there are and comment on how the barriers to entry make it extremely difficult for new organisations to make it (just to show a well rounded knowledge) - Using data from the concentration ratio you should be able to quantify how oligopolistic the market is too.

- when talking about effects on customers a lot of this can be generalised - basically just the advantages and disadvantages of an oligopoly although having data from consumers of the specific organisations would strengthen your arguments and again, justify with evidence when you talk!

EDIT: If I'm repeating anyone I do apologise - I'm falling asleep!

and I haven't seen the data but off the bat I'd suggest overt collusion over compeititve due to the lack of independent pricing strategies within oligopolies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.