Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My a levels are AAB in maths chem and bio. My gcses are strong. Problem is i don't know which degree to study to get into IB. Any suggestions guys?

ReputationRep:
    Your degree doesn't matter. Study something you enjoy. What matters is who you are, what you do with yourself, demonstrating the core competencies the banks look for and the institution you attend. If you're an overall strong candidate I can't imagine AAB holding you back a such, although AAA would be more ideal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    Your degree doesn't matter. Study something you enjoy. What matters is who you are, what you do with yourself, demonstrating the core competencies the banks look for and the institution you attend. If you're an overall strong candidate I can't imagine AAB holding you back a such, although AAA would be more ideal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi will,

Is it essential for one to obtain a degree if they wish to pursue a career in IB or trading? Is there another alternative entry route?
    Thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stealth_writer)
    Hi will,

Is it essential for one to obtain a degree if they wish to pursue a career in IB or trading? Is there another alternative entry route?
    Thanks so much
    There isn't really an alternative route at the moment, no. A 2:1 degree is a minimum requirement, ideally from a top uni and ideally a first. The ideal route is doing a degree and going through the banks internship programmes. They start with A Level Insight Programmes > Spring Weeks > Summer Internships. Ideally join finance related societies/conferences at university, and extra-curriculars that can demonstrate leadership, team player etc and some form of work experience .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There isn't really an alternative route at the moment, no. A 2:1 degree is a minimum requirement, ideally from a top uni and ideally a first. The ideal route is doing a degree and going through the banks internship programmes. They start with A Level Insight Programmes > Spring Weeks > Summer Internships. Ideally join finance related societies/conferences at university, and extra-curriculars that can demonstrate leadership, team player etc and some form of work experience .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm thinking of studying mathematics and actuarial science as a degree at Leicester. What s your opinion on taking that course for a career in IB / city trading?

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of studying mathematics and actuarial science as a degree at Leicester. What s your opinion on taking that course for a career in IB / city trading?
    Banks recruit mostly from the so-called target universities: Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL and Imperial. They recruit outside these universities but the numbers are small for front office. Leicester is quite far down the list and probably wouldn't give you the best shot in my opinion. My advice would be to try and get on a course at those unis that require AAB such as Business Management at Warwick. Cass also do Actuarial Science as a degree and they are quite finance/career-focussed so I would guess you have a better chance from there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Banks recruit mostly from the so-called target universities: Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL and Imperial. They recruit outside these universities but the numbers are small for front office. Leicester is quite far down the list and probably wouldn't give you the best shot in my opinion. My advice would be to try and get on a course at those unis that require AAB such as Business Management at Warwick. Cass also do Actuarial Science as a degree and they are quite finance/career-focussed so I would guess you have a better chance from there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for your reply i really appreciate it.
    In regards to getting into IB/ (back up options in case i dont get into IB) which degree would be better; a maths degree at Birmingham or "actuarial science and maths" at leicester

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply i really appreciate it.
    In regards to getting into IB/ (back up options in case i dont get into IB) which degree would be better; a maths degree at Birmingham or "actuarial science and maths" at leicester
    Personally I would go to Birmingham.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi will,

Thanks so much
    There is only a very limited amount of ways to get into an IB without a degree. Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan and Bank of America Merrill Lynch have started hiring a level students straight into back office roles this year through apprenticeship/school leaver programmes. However, If you want to do front office roles like M&A, trading etc the quickest route would through a grad scheme.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.