Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone - well done on your results, they seem generally amazing and you should be proud.

Basically, i have recently decided to study mechanical/aerospace engineering, and i would love to go to Bristol where the requirements are A*AA, and i got AAA.

I am taking a year out to self study a level physics and resit my maths up to A* (had a shocker in C3!!!), do you think Bristol would consider me? Is aerospace Engineering a competitive course?

ReputationRep:
    I applied to do aerospace engineering at Bristol (and is where I shall be going next month). To get a definitive answer I would call them and find out, although you may want to wait a week or so. Having said that, I would think they would consider your application at length. Bristol is a competitive uni anyway (it had 40000 applications for 4000 places), with aerospace engineering being slightly above average (at least that's what I've been told). With grades like that I would have thought if you're the sort of person they think they do well then I don't see why not. I was speaking to people at the open/applicant days with offers of AAB due to being self taught or having other qualifications etc.

Basically, I would have thought you would stand a very good chance, but it may be worth phoning the department when you can to see!

Good luck with it all and well done on your results!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Ahh nice one, you must be really looking forward to it. I am self teaching so im hoping for a contextual offer of just a 'b'! May i ask what grades did you get?

ReputationRep:
    Do Mechanical engineering if you have the choice. I just graduated from Bristol in aero. More jobs advertise for Mechanical eng students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djpailo)
    Do Mechanical engineering if you have the choice. I just graduated from Bristol in aero. More jobs advertise for Mechanical eng students.
    really? Aerospace looks more interesting though do you have any work experience?

ReputationRep:
    also - this year i got a C in c3 - a shock seeing as i've got A's in all other modules. Will Bristol realize im resitting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicso)
    really? Aerospace looks more interesting though do you have any work experience?
    Doesn't make a difference. Consider applying for work experience - its the EXACT same process as applying for a job. You are competing with other people. I had the same problem for trying to get internships etc. I know others who had similar problems too. I have just noticed that mechanical eng, electrical eng and computer scientists are in much much greater demand, particularly those last two, than aerospace engineers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicso)
    Ahh nice one, you must be really looking forward to it. I am self teaching so im hoping for a contextual offer of just a 'b'! May i ask what grades did you get?
    I can,t wait! Yeah, I wouldn't have said that was put of the question! I ended up with A*A*A in Maths, Physics and Further Maths respectively, and a couple of AS levels Good luck with everything and if you have any more questions hopefully I'll be able to answer them once I'm there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also, have a look at http://www.gradcracker.com/ It lists a few jobs for engineering graduates. It seems there are less jobs for Aero graduates at the moment, but then there are also less aero graduates and there are usually more jobs on there around April/May. Really if you think you'll find aero more interesting then do that, they're still in demand and you don't want to study something you won't enjoy for 4 years! It seems though work experience is a must to get any decent job! Although I'm sure I'll find out more about that in the next few months!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations brah!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by HJFelton)
      Also, have a look at http://www.gradcracker.com/ It lists a few jobs for engineering graduates. It seems there are less jobs for Aero graduates at the moment, but then there are also less aero graduates and there are usually more jobs on there around April/May. Really if you think you'll find aero more interesting then do that, they're still in demand and you don't want to study something you won't enjoy for 4 years! It seems though work experience is a must to get any decent job! Although I'm sure I'll find out more about that in the next few months!

Posted from TSR Mobile
      They aren't in demand as much. I know because I have been through it. There is a lot more demand for computer scientists and electrical engineers right now. It might change in the future but that is what it is right now.

ReputationRep:
      They aren't in demand as much. I know because I have been through it. There is a lot more demand for computer scientists and electrical engineers right now. It might change in the future but that is what it is right now.
      Fair enough! Good luck finding something! Fingers crossed the demand will pick up soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.