Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm 20 and i've been feeling really low lately. It's that mixed with me not getting much sleep too.

I was on a foundation degree course. It ended in May, we all graduated. I didn't want it to end because of the amount of time I was spending with my friends on the course. I'm worried we're all going to go off in seperate ways. I'm going onto the 3rd top up year but those I consider to be my best friends aren't going. When I started the foundation course I didn't know anyone, but they've been the bestest, funniest, most caring bunch of friends I've ever had - compared to my secondary school mates who didn't seem to want any more contact.

We went on a trip to London recently but i'm worried thats going to be it or it's going to be it for a while. I don't really have anything to do friends wise anytime else since they're all living in different parts of the country. I've never gone on a night out, I've never experienced getting drunk, and I've never even had more than one taster sip of alcohol... I'm 20.

Because of this no friends stuff, I've never really met anyone else. I've never had a girlfriend. I've never had the confidence. There's someone I really liked recently but found out she had a boyfriend. It was on the night of us celebrating our results and I almost went for it but he turned up. I was out having a good time and I felt quite confident (without drinking aha).

I work part-time (currently full-time for the Summer due to overtime) and I just feel like i'm not really respected by some people whom I work with. Today I was asked to date check something in 10 minutes (I work in the foods department). It would have never had got done. I went to help someone with something and she was chatting to me for ages. It wasn't like "Oo what did you watch on TV last night?" but it was actually about the work. 10 minutes had gone and I told the supervisor that I hadn't done it. He didn't look very happy - I owned up to saying I was chatting. I shouldn't have been chatting, but that check would never have got done in 10 minutes - not even 30 minutes. It was about the work what we were currently doing though.

When I was finishing, I didn't have enough time to finish something and he wasn't too happy again. He started me on it a bit too late so that is why. I just feel really put down by it and I'm thinking why is it always me - everyone else chats and gets away with it. He's always off laughing with Managers and others yet I am the one who today, got moaned at. He's usually okay but it kinda knocks me a bit.

I, along with others last Christmas, were told that our contracts wouldn't be extended. I had to work out in the store warehouse for 5 months. I was going to quit but kept at it due to everyone there that I liked (basically 99.9% of those who work there). I hated this job. There was no contact with customers and I felt depressed. I returned back to my old job (permanent now) and it just feels like those 5 months were just too long. Like I should have just given up.

Due to today I just felt like crying. I never cry. Walking home, a little old granny walked past me, huge smile, and said "Ok dearrr?". After she carried along I had tears in my eyes for some reason. It sounds mad but I don't know why. My emotions keep mucking up.

I can never get a good night's sleep. If I go to bed at 10, due to me worrying about everything (I don't know why I do keep worrying, but I do), I can never sleep til about half midnight. Then the neighbour always likes to rev up the engine of his van at 6am waking me up. That's only 5 and a half hours sleep each night. I look knackered, and feel knackered.

I want to talk to more people at work. I'm not a miserable grumpy person that I'll look like I will be if I don't talk to people.

I'm also fed up with my sister. Most brothers and sisters get on. She's almost 18 and hates me for some reason. She tells me it and if I want to talk to her, she swears at me. She's quite violent too and she's so childlike. I always seem to get the blame.

I'm underconfident about how I look. I posted a pic of me on this site once and was told I was good looking, but i'm only 5'8". Girls like taller guys - and confident ones. I'd go to the gym to gain muscle but I look so underage. I don't look like a man. I look like a boy still in secondary school, and I wouldn't have anyone to go with.

Basically, I'm just a guy who doesn't go out much, works all the time, saves his money (I've saved £5,000 up), someone who doesn't have a car, has no confidence, has never had a girlfriend, never got drunk, looks about 12 so he couldn't buy a drink anyway and appears miserable. Yet I can be fun!

I was walking home from work tonight and was just thinking what there was for me to look forward to, and who is going to be in my life. I wanted a car to hit me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scott the journo)
    Hey! I'm 20 and i've been feeling really low lately. It's that mixed with me not getting much sleep too.

I was on a foundation degree course. It ended in May, we all graduated. I didn't want it to end because of the amount of time I was spending with my friends on the course. I'm worried we're all going to go off in seperate ways. I'm going onto the 3rd top up year but those I consider to be my best friends aren't going. When I started the foundation course I didn't know anyone, but they've been the bestest, funniest, most caring bunch of friends I've ever had - compared to my secondary school mates who didn't seem to want any more contact.

We went on a trip to London recently but i'm worried thats going to be it or it's going to be it for a while. I don't really have anything to do friends wise anytime else since they're all living in different parts of the country. I've never gone on a night out, I've never experienced getting drunk, and I've never even had more than one taster sip of alcohol... I'm 20.

Because of this no friends stuff, I've never really met anyone else. I've never had a girlfriend. I've never had the confidence. There's someone I really liked recently but found out she had a boyfriend. It was on the night of us celebrating our results and I almost went for it but he turned up. I was out having a good time and I felt quite confident (without drinking aha).

I work part-time (currently full-time for the Summer due to overtime) and I just feel like i'm not really respected by some people whom I work with. Today I was asked to date check something in 10 minutes (I work in the foods department). It would have never had got done. I went to help someone with something and she was chatting to me for ages. It wasn't like "Oo what did you watch on TV last night?" but it was actually about the work. 10 minutes had gone and I told the supervisor that I hadn't done it. He didn't look very happy - I owned up to saying I was chatting. I shouldn't have been chatting, but that check would never have got done in 10 minutes - not even 30 minutes. It was about the work what we were currently doing though.

When I was finishing, I didn't have enough time to finish something and he wasn't too happy again. He started me on it a bit too late so that is why. I just feel really put down by it and I'm thinking why is it always me - everyone else chats and gets away with it. He's always off laughing with Managers and others yet I am the one who today, got moaned at. He's usually okay but it kinda knocks me a bit.

I, along with others last Christmas, were told that our contracts wouldn't be extended. I had to work out in the store warehouse for 5 months. I was going to quit but kept at it due to everyone there that I liked (basically 99.9% of those who work there). I hated this job. There was no contact with customers and I felt depressed. I returned back to my old job (permanent now) and it just feels like those 5 months were just too long. Like I should have just given up.

Due to today I just felt like crying. I never cry. Walking home, a little old granny walked past me, huge smile, and said "Ok dearrr?". After she carried along I had tears in my eyes for some reason. It sounds mad but I don't know why. My emotions keep mucking up.

I can never get a good night's sleep. If I go to bed at 10, due to me worrying about everything (I don't know why I do keep worrying, but I do), I can never sleep til about half midnight. Then the neighbour always likes to rev up the engine of his van at 6am waking me up. That's only 5 and a half hours sleep each night. I look knackered, and feel knackered.

I want to talk to more people at work. I'm not a miserable grumpy person that I'll look like I will be if I don't talk to people.

I'm also fed up with my sister. Most brothers and sisters get on. She's almost 18 and hates me for some reason. She tells me it and if I want to talk to her, she swears at me. She's quite violent too and she's so childlike. I always seem to get the blame.

I'm underconfident about how I look. I posted a pic of me on this site once and was told I was good looking, but i'm only 5'8". Girls like taller guys - and confident ones. I'd go to the gym to gain muscle but I look so underage. I don't look like a man. I look like a boy still in secondary school, and I wouldn't have anyone to go with.

Basically, I'm just a guy who doesn't go out much, works all the time, saves his money (I've saved £5,000 up), someone who doesn't have a car, has no confidence, has never had a girlfriend, never got drunk, looks about 12 so he couldn't buy a drink anyway and appears miserable. Yet I can be fun!

I was walking home from work tonight and was just thinking what there was for me to look forward to, and who is going to be in my life. I wanted a car to hit me.
    I say sort out the stuff i've put in bold.
    Go out more find a hobby that you like that involves people. Or something new, ever tried to learn how to Row? Some kind of activity. Perhaps take a class for learning a new language, bound to talk to people then.
    Learn how to drive, buy a car. you have 5k saved! If you have a ID you can buy a drink!
    Usually i want a car to hit when i'm walking to work lmao.
    Especially when i worked at Mcdonalds.
    Your confidence will grow when you succeed at things. If you don't want to lose your friends make sure you stay in touch!

Ignore your sister, maybe she won't react if she sees you don't care so much. She might calm down.

It's basically up to you.
    Also in response to your title. "The lowest you've ever felt so far"

http://youtu.be/bfpPArfDTGw
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Cheer up, everyone has their low moments :console: I think you definitely need to find a hobby/a club to get involved in and maybe this will help you feel more confident about yourself. Also do try and talk to more people at work, I'm sure many people there are bored and would appreciate someone to talk to and have workplace banter with. Then if you do get along with people, then maybe invite them out/suggest a drink after work. If it helps then I saw the photo you posted of yourself and I can assure you that you do not look 12 and I personally think you are quite good looking. So what if you are only 5'8" ! Most girls I know are much shorter than that anyway. Not everyone wants a tall guy. Remember your only 20, life is what you make of it, so stop feeling low and sad and go out and be happy. Who knows, you could potentially meet a great new group of friends

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.