The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Original post by IceKidd
its interchangeable :wink:

u should hav used ur mathematical skills of logical decuction to decipher it

Logically I assume people spend the extra second to write "I get you" as opposed to "igu" :lol:

(for what it's worth, I worked out it was "I get you" - I'm just winding you up because I hate it when people type like that :tongue:)
Original post by Noble.
Logically I assume people spend the extra second to write "I get you" as opposed to "igu" :lol:

(for what it's worth, I worked out it was "I get you" - I'm just winding you up because I hate it when people type like that :tongue:)

I woz joinin it tho ;(

P.S. I saw the new Mathematical Institute pictures online ages ago and I forgot to tell you that it looks superb! Great job. :smile: In terms of proximity, where is the closest college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 662
Original post by yl95
I woz joinin it tho ;(

P.S. I saw the new Mathematical Institute pictures online ages ago and I forgot to tell you that it looks superb! Great job. :smile: In terms of proximity, where is the closest college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, the new institute is amazing. Closest college to it is Somerville, it's only about 60 seconds away.
Original post by IceKidd
not ****ty sarf lndn holla

Safest place tho
Lots ov peng mandem
West ldn iz butters

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noble.
Yep, the new institute is amazing. Closest college to it is Somerville, it's only about 60 seconds away.

I liked the Maths building being close to Keble though...:frown: But then again, lots of people get allocated to different colleges and a lot of people who applied to Keble ended up in Somerville, so it's not all that bad, I guess. How central is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 665
Reply 666
Original post by Noble.

Fellow Nazi, awesome! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 668
Original post by yl95
I liked the Maths building being close to Keble though...:frown: But then again, lots of people get allocated to different colleges and a lot of people who applied to Keble ended up in Somerville, so it's not all that bad, I guess. How central is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, the new institute is quite north in Oxford so most colleges have a bit of a trek (in Oxford terms anyway) which is a bit annoying but it's still less than a mile from pretty much every college. Keble isn't too far away, given that Keble is on the northern side of Oxford anyway, so it's only a 5 minute walk or so from Keble.
Original post by souktik
Gosh, you're evil! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish, I wish.

Was trying to be down with IceKidd. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 671

''daphne, wagwan wit ofsted''

:rofl:
IceKidd do u lyk ndubz? Tulisa is bare peng nd classy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IceKidd
for no.2 obviously thats in another paper. for number 3 you havent done yet,

for number 4 i agree with ur parts i,ii,iii. on the last part i agree wit ur coord wer the max value occurs and that its 1. but u also need to find the minimum value which i got to be (1/sqrt2) at ({+or-}0.5,{+or-}0.5)

numberr 5 i dont get -.-

my multichoice answers are in agreement with yours now!

I was a big cheat in question five. I got three black hair bobbles and three coloured bobbles, and just played about with them until I felt like I had answers. It's one of those ones where it's daunting to actually think about it in your head or on paper, but easier to do it physically.
How did you work out this question? I did a lot of working, using double angle formulas and s^2 + c^2=1 6.png

I'll post my 2006 answers tonight or tomorrow night.
Reply 675
Original post by jadoreétudier
How did you work out this question? I did a lot of working, using double angle formulas and s^2 + c^2=1 6.png

I'll post my 2006 answers tonight or tomorrow night.

There's no need for such witchcraft and wizardry :tongue:

It can't be (b) because when sin(5α)=1\sin(5 \alpha) = 1 (b) gives 1-1

Now, the next thing that springs to mind is "Well, what about when sin(5α)\sin(5 \alpha) is negative, as it certainly looks like we're going to get stupid values for the last two.

So suppose sin(5α)=1\sin(5 \alpha) = -1 - which we know exists for some α\alpha. Then,

(c) gives this as -21 - clearly absurd
(d) gives this as -31 - again not possible.
Reply 676
my multichoice answers are in agreement with yours now!

I was a big cheat in question five. I got three black hair bobbles and three coloured bobbles, and just played about with them until I felt like I had answers. It's one of those ones where it's daunting to actually think about it in your head or on paper, but easier to do it physically.

5 is perhaps the toughest MAT question I've seen yet. If they'd asked us to prove the answers for parts (ii) and (iii) it could have been an easy olympiad combinatorics problem. :tongue:
I'll post a detailed solution as soon as I can. Till then, you guys might try looking at parity (odd or even) of the number of total moves required to get to winning combinations. Part (i) involves the order in which you move each of the three beads and the number of times they each move.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noble.
There's no need for such witchcraft and wizardry :tongue:

It can't be (b) because when sin(5α)=1\sin(5 \alpha) = 1 (b) gives 1-1

Now, the next thing that springs to mind is "Well, what about when sin(5α)\sin(5 \alpha) is negative, as it certainly looks like we're going to get stupid values for the last two.

So suppose sin(5α)=1\sin(5 \alpha) = -1 - which we know exists for some α\alpha. Then,

(c) gives this as -21 - clearly absurd
(d) gives this as -31 - again not possible.

How did you see that b gives -1 when sin(5α)\sin(5 \alpha) is 1?
And also the same question for -21 and -31 ?
Original post by souktik
5 is perhaps the toughest MAT question I've seen yet. If they'd asked us to prove the answers for parts (ii) and (iii) it could have been an easy olympiad combinatorics problem. :tongue:
I'll post a detailed solution as soon as I can. Till then, you guys might try looking at parity (odd or even) of the number of total moves required to get to winning combinations. Part (i) involves the order in which you move each of the three beads and the number of times they each move.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll wait patiently for your solution :smile:

I attempted part 2 in question 3 again with no luck.

My answer for part 3 is c=1 giving a minimum value of 32/9.

For part 1 how would you show that f(x) has one maximum and minimum? Could you just say that it's a cubic function and all cubic functions have one maximum and one minimum? I imagine not.. ?
Reply 679
How did you see that b gives -1 when sin(5α)\sin(5 \alpha) is 1?
And also the same question for -21 and -31 ?

Because if you set α=π2\alpha = \dfrac{\pi}{2} then sin(5α)=sin(α)\sin(5 \alpha) = \sin( \alpha)

Similarly if you set α=3π2\alpha = \dfrac{3\pi}{2} then sin(5α)=sin(α)\sin(5 \alpha) = \sin( \alpha) just from the periodic nature of sin(x)\sin(x).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending