The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1560
Original post by gavinlowe
There's a limit to how much information I think it's appropriate to give. However, the mean (across all candidates taking the MAT in its different variants) was just under 45, with a standard deviation of a bit over 14. We look at more than just the raw MAT score in deciding short-listing, but the default threshold also corresponds to a mark of about 45. Clearly, it was a slightly harder test this year.

Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1561
Hey does anyone know if we can find out our MAT scores? Does Oxford release the scores at any point?:smile:
Original post by kapur
Yea im taking a gap year . I was doing maths in DU but i really didnt like it so i dropped out :P
what board are you doing btw ?

I might take a gap year if I don't get into the uni of my choice , the probability of which seems to be increasing with the time I've been waiting for :P SSC . You've done CBSE right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ksv4196
Hey does anyone know if we can find out our MAT scores? Does Oxford release the scores at any point?:smile:

I don't think they do. I'm not sure though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1564
Original post by ksv4196

From the MAT page:
"Test results are not published automatically, but candidates may request their test score as part of the usual University of Oxford feedback process."
You'll have to write to the college you applied to and ask for your score, but I think you have to wait until January to do this.
Reply 1565
Original post by ksv4196

EDIT: Realized that this had already been answered. Never mind. :tongue:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
There's a limit to how much information I think it's appropriate to give. However, the mean (across all candidates taking the MAT in its different variants) was just under 45, with a standard deviation of a bit over 14. We look at more than just the raw MAT score in deciding short-listing, but the default threshold also corresponds to a mark of about 45. Clearly, it was a slightly harder test this year.

Hi, are those figures for this year? There may be hope after all!! Also in terms of GCSE context, is it just the number of A* grades that are counted, or is each grade given a score and a cumulative/mean mark taken?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1567
If the mean is 45 and standard deviation is 14. Marks is a typical Normal distribution,so 68% of the applicants get from 31 to 59. 60 will be really good.
Reply 1568

I'm assuming this is for the computer science questions? Do you know the average score on questions 1-5?
Reply 1569
Original post by CD315
I'm assuming this is for the computer science questions? Do you know the average score on questions 1-5?

"...(across all candidates taking the MAT in its different variants)..."

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
Original post by CD315

'MAT in all the different variants', I think, implies the mean of everyone (M and CS) who sat it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1571
Original post by yl95
'MAT in all the different variants', I think, implies the mean of everyone (M and CS) who sat it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by seohyun
"...(across all candidates taking the MAT in its different variants)..."

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Oops, misread that. Sorry :tongue:
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
Pretty much all the MAT marking was completed late on Sat eve. (A small handful of scripts are still in transit.) A rough "line in the sand" has been drawn and was circulated to tutors yesterday. (This line takes into account MAT score, GCSE scores contextualised to a school's performance.) The tutors can now see the candidate's application (including reference, etc) and the breakdown of the MAT scores. The tutors are now focussing on candidates at the borderline and deciding on who out out of these middleground people to interview. Decisions on this should be finalised by Wednesday of next week. The colleges send out the invitations to interview/rejections. They will all have their own way of doing this. There's not fixed order. So it's quite possible that two candidates who applied to different colleges but for the same course will hear several days apart. Does that help?

Hi, would the MAT requirement for applicants who have already started university study elsewhere be completely different?

I had 4 midterms and a programming contest right before the MAT. Thus I was so exhausted during the test, and didn't do well. I think my score would only be around 80 or so.

Thank you!
Reply 1573
Original post by hilbert_spaces
Hi, would the MAT requirement for applicants who have already started university study elsewhere be completely different?

I had 4 midterms and a programming contest right before the MAT. Thus I was so exhausted during the test, and didn't do well. I think my score would only be around 80 or so.

Thank you!

Yes, for those who already have their grades in hand you'll be compared more to the cohort of students who are accepted as opposed to the applicants. Also, as you had already started university, you'll be expected to do better as well - however, a score of 80 is more than fine even under these circumstances.
Reply 1574
Original post by yxcai
If the mean is 45 and standard deviation is 14. Marks is a typical Normal distribution,so 68% of the applicants get from 31 to 59. 60 will be really good.

This year was really low-scoring, eh? I wonder if even one person managed a perfect score...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1575
Original post by souktik
This year was really low-scoring, eh? I wonder if even one person managed a perfect score...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unlikely, it's usually down to luck you'd get full marks, normally the highest score is 95-98 (well, it was for the 2010 admissions test).
Reply 1576
Original post by revelry26
I don't think they do. I'm not sure though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, Thank you!:smile:
Reply 1577
Original post by souktik
EDIT: Realized that this had already been answered. Never mind. :tongue:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh that's too bad, I wanted to find out now! Thank you!
Reply 1578
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
Pretty much all the MAT marking was completed late on Sat eve. (A small handful of scripts are still in transit.) A rough "line in the sand" has been drawn and was circulated to tutors yesterday. (This line takes into account MAT score, GCSE scores contextualised to a school's performance.) The tutors can now see the candidate's application (including reference, etc) and the breakdown of the MAT scores. The tutors are now focussing on candidates at the borderline and deciding on who out out of these middleground people to interview. Decisions on this should be finalised by Wednesday of next week. The colleges send out the invitations to interview/rejections. They will all have their own way of doing this. There's not fixed order. So it's quite possible that two candidates who applied to different colleges but for the same course will hear several days apart. Does that help?

So we should hear by the first week of December?
Original post by souktik

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some years someone gets full marks. But not this year.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending