The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

"Exeter is very easy to fall in love with. It has one of the most beautiful campuses in the country, in one of the most beautiful counties in Britain."
- Virgin Alternative Guide to British Universities, 2005

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=183263

The above post has pictures of some of the universities you are talking about (Nottingham, Exeter, Glasgow).
Reply 41
Okay, we are getting there with progress and although Nottingham is an excellent school, the crime may be an issue for an 18 year old to be there. St. Andrews is too isolated, she does not fish, does not play golf and only one Starbuck's that just opened! So Edinburgh is in the lead, need more information on Exeter, Leeds and Glasgow. Exeter and Glasgow are rated most highly for major of psychology. I know she likes the balllet, nightlife and shopping of the larger cities of which worries her father! The remote area of Exeter may be nice and she loves the beach, in fact is at Long Beach Island as we speak. The weather is only a degree or two one way or another, not a huge difference. I do like the accomnadtion offered at both Exeter and Leeds better than Glasgow and Edinburgh but the last two have an excellent reputation as Science Research institutions and Glasgow offered to pay for her MA year. Leeds and Nottingham offered some scholarship monies of which I never heard of for overseas students. She also likes tennis and is a ballet dancer and into fashion but a bright girl, wants to be a psychologist with her own practice.
Thought I better warn Lisa's Mum about Glasgow - It has the highest knife crime in western Europe! Literally all of the gangs and criminals carry knifes in Glasgow, and it is a divided city between Celtic FC (Catholic) and Rangers FC (Protestant). Very dangerous place to be.
i wonder what its like compared to newyork
Reply 44
Exeter is a HELL of a lot warmer. Trust me.

edit: also, how can she be sure she would want to do an MA when she hasn't even started her degree yet?
Reply 45
miss_princess_stacey
"cosmopolitan city, nightlife, shopping, ballet (a ballerina, herself) and theatre"

leeds has excellent nightlife, probably one of the top places in the uk accomodating for a whole range of music tastes.
shopping is second after london, and is rated the london of the north with regards to shopping, also there are lots of little vintagey cute shops that you wont find anywhere else
its extremely cosmopolitan and there are many theatres

Sounds nice, a friend of hers is at Leeds and saw some of the photos and her ballet teacher is from Yorkshire, a lot of snow in winter.
Reply 46
Knogle
Coming from the US, I believe St. Andrews is rated especially highly there.

Are these conditional or unconditional offers? If they are the former, what are the conditions?

Since she prefer southern UK, I can quite confidently recommend Nottingham, which is an excellent university. It's not southern UK per se, but at least it's not in Scotland. :wink:

What do you mean in regard to your comment of Scotland? I always thought that Scotland had the top school system, higher than US and UK, always a reputation to be respected, so not sure what you mean.
Glasgow would be an MA by default, surely? As would Edinburgh and St. Andrews. Not sure what paying for the MA year means, unless you mean that they fund the fourth year fees wise? I think Edinburgh were going to pay for my fourth year if I went there because I'm English and would normally expect to pay for only three. Dunno if that really would've been the case though, heh.

I think knogle was joking, btw. Friendly anti Scottish rivalry. But Scotland's lovely, yes.
Lisa's Mum
Okay, we are getting there with progress and although Nottingham is an excellent school, the crime may be an issue for an 18 year old to be there. St. Andrews is too isolated, she does not fish, does not play golf and only one Starbuck's that just opened! So Edinburgh is in the lead, need more information on Exeter, Leeds and Glasgow. Exeter and Glasgow are rated most highly for major of psychology. I know she likes the balllet, nightlife and shopping of the larger cities of which worries her father! The remote area of Exeter may be nice and she loves the beach, in fact is at Long Beach Island as we speak. The weather is only a degree or two one way or another, not a huge difference. I do like the accomnadtion offered at both Exeter and Leeds better than Glasgow and Edinburgh but the last two have an excellent reputation as Science Research institutions and Glasgow offered to pay for her MA year. Leeds and Nottingham offered some scholarship monies of which I never heard of for overseas students. She also likes tennis and is a ballet dancer and into fashion but a bright girl, wants to be a psychologist with her own practice.

Exeter has absolutely top class tennis courts opened last year with brand new accommodation right beside them. Im not sure if you are refering to the weather between glasgow and exeter - but without a doubt exeter is the far hottest out of all the universities given the fact that its the only southern university you have mentioned - the rest are northern (some very northern UK) and can be veeeeery cold (i moved from north to south when i was 18). Im really confused - is your daughter going to do an undergraduate degree in the UK? I thought you were talking about postgraduate opportunities.
Reply 49
1987 College Guy
Thought I better warn Lisa's Mum about Glasgow - It has the highest knife crime in western Europe! Literally all of the gangs and criminals carry knifes in Glasgow, and it is a divided city between Celtic FC (Catholic) and Rangers FC (Protestant). Very dangerous place to be.

Okay, now I am really worried, about this crime there. It has recieved an Architectual Digest, Queens's Award and Conde Nast Traveler for most fabulous and cultured city and voted most beautiful campus but the crime is a serious matter and Lisa would be out and about there. I know it is an industrial town and I did read on line something recently about the problem with NEDS, dilinquents there and drinking, maybe we shoudl cancel this uni. I do need the facts as we had not visited some of them, did visit 9 last year, although not the ones she applied to and also looked for her brother, Ryan.
i wouldnt put scotland above the rest of the uk for education. it has a nice selection of great universities - but it doesnt have as many good universities as england, and you shouldnt ignore ireland or wales
Reply 51
The Boosh
Exeter has absolutely top class tennis courts opened last year with brand new accommodation right beside them. Im not sure if you are refering to the weather between glasgow and exeter - but without a doubt exeter is the far hottest out of all the universities given the fact that its the only southern university you have mentioned - the rest are northern (some very northern UK) and can be veeeeery cold (i moved from north to south when i was 18). Im really confused - is your daughter going to do an undergraduate degree in the UK? I thought you were talking about postgraduate opportunities.

She will be in her first year, undergraduate and with IB will continue for her MA there and wants to reside in UK.
Reply 52
The Boosh
i wouldnt put scotland above the rest of the uk for education. it has a nice selection of great universities - but it doesnt have as many good universities as england, and you shouldnt ignore ireland or wales

Her UCAS choices are limited to six and already applied and accepted offers, she did consider Trinity College in Dublin and desires UK, just loves England the most.
As Blissy says, she should get her BA/Sc out of the way first!

As I said, Scotland awards MAs for undergrad degrees, but remember that's more tradition, and doesn't count as a postgrad degree.

I wouldn't worry about crime too much. Even in cities known for violent crime, you rarely see it. If she's up in New York without her mam, I'm sure she can cope and stay safe, not making herself a target. At the end of the day, crime can occur anywhere, especially in town on a night out. It'll be opportunists, so just make sure she knows how to not give them the opportunity.
Reply 54
The Boosh

She is again in her first year, undergraduate and plans to stay on and do her MA and eventually reside there.
Reply 55
Knogle
Since she prefer southern UK, I can quite confidently recommend Nottingham, which is an excellent university. It's not southern UK per se, but at least it's not in Scotland. :wink:
Oi!!!

Out of the listed choices, I'd say Edinburgh or St Andrews would be best...I went to St Andrews and can guarantee that it's a lovely town with a great atmosphere, but if she wants to be in a city instead of a town then Edinburgh will be just as good. They're both in Scotland, so are definitely not in "Southern UK", but they're both great universities with fantastic reputations.

Someone (dogtanian?) mentioned that people from rural Scotland have stronger accents. Not true, hun - I've never lived in a town with a population greater than 10,000 (except studying in St Andrews, which has 18,000 during term time) and my accent is so weak that quite a few people even ask if I'm English :s:
No, I said that the accents tend to be stronger in rural areas, all over the country. Not that everyone in the countryside can't be understood. It's a general trend. I'm a linguist, I know my accenty ****. :biggrin:

I was just using it as an example really to say that accent wo't be an issue in a university town.
Reply 57
dogtanian
No, I said that the accents tend to be stronger in rural areas, all over the country. Not that everyone in the countryside can't be understood. It's a general trend. I'm a linguist, I know my accenty ****. :biggrin:

I was just using it as an example really to say that accent wo't be an issue in a university town.
OK, OK...I'm not going to argue. In truth I was paying too much attention to the football, anyway :biggrin:
I know there are exceptions. Just a generalisation. And not a problem. :smile:
i have to admit i get a hunch that st andrews and edinburgh are going to offer better courses in psychology. dont know about leeds much for psychology (apart from the fact that its the clearing house for clinical psychology), i know exeter is good but im not sure how good for psychology (they did have full funding to give psychology phd students and had good research and teaching scores). notts is supposed to be really good too - but i wouldnt like to live in glasgow or nottingham.

its still edinburgh! (or exeter because im biased)

Latest

Trending

Trending