Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    i have to admit i get a hunch that st andrews and edinburgh are going to offer better courses in psychology. dont know about leeds much for psychology (apart from the fact that its the clearing house for clinical psychology), i know exeter is good but im not sure how good for psychology (they did have full funding to give psychology phd students and had good research and teaching scores). notts is supposed to be really good too - but i wouldnt like to live in glasgow or nottingham.

its still edinburgh! (or exeter because im biased)
    Leeds is in top 20 for psychology, unlike Glasgow, Exeter, Notts, Edinburgh and St. Andrew's. The others are ranked 3rd through 11th in ratings, she should have also applied to RH, U of L, closer to London of where she wants to be. I am thinking maybe she may still leave Edinburgh as first and firm choice and now Exeter or Leeds instead of Glasgow as insurance choice. And Exeter has a better reputation for major. She has a friend here of whom has a cousin going to Edinburgh and mainly English and Americans there, I am dissapointed to find out such negative information on Glasgow as I hear so many wonderful things. In fact from my Mother's area of NY there are two direct flights a day to Glasgow as people love the culture and shopping there!

ReputationRep:
    can i asked what university rankings you are using?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    There are so many factors to consider when choosing a uni: location, course, job prospects (ie how many have found work after). I found a load of courses that sounded interesting but it wasn't until I visited that I made my mind up. I think in order to make a proper decison you need to visit and decide if its right for you. People have different opinions and what might be right for them, might not be right for you.

Don't get caught up in uni rankings-they don't really say much at all when it comes to your own choice.

ReputationRep:
    Where did you come from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    can i asked what university rankings you are using?
    We have nearly every book out there, Virgin Alternative, Good Times Uni Guide and so on. Glasgow is actually ranked slightly higher than Edinburgh for subject, but I am concerned now of this city for her as she will be so far away from California and we do plan to move there in a year or two down the road.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Please don't just rely on rankings though-you can go to the best university there is but if you don't enjoy the course or the location isn't right for you it can make all the difference. Also isn't it her choice where she goes rather than yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beach_surf_babe)
    Please don't just rely on rankings though-you can go to the best university there is but if you don't enjoy the course or the location isn't right for you it can make all the difference. Also isn't it her choice where she goes rather than yours?
    Lisa is just having second and third thoughts of changing these schools as females do. I am trying to gather more facts from a student's perspective to share with her. She has eliminated St. Andrews and Nottingham was not at top of her list, although knows it is rated highly for her major. She has always liked Edinburgh, Leeds and Exeter and even Glasgow, of which is the one I am realizing may not be all we thought it was. The verdict is still out on this one!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Leeds is quite a good place to be...its got good links to various other places nearby too!

ReputationRep:
    If your daughter would like to be near(er) to London, she should definitely consider nottingham, as it it is a manageable distance away (1-2 hours on a train). Also nottingham is a great city, not too big but diverse and with lots on offer. The campus itself is great, a huge leafy area with loads of trees, a pretty big lake, an orchard etc etc but in the middle of nottingham, so the best of both worlds.

In reference to a couple of the above points, Nottingham is NOT in the north, it is in the east midlands and the weather is different accordingly (i'm from manchester and found the lack of rain pretty strange).

Also, the 'pretty rough' label is basically untrue, especially for students. I have been here for a year now and have yet to see any considerable trouble aside from a couple of drunken fights, far different from other places i have spent a length of time in, such as Manchester or London.

Wherever you daughter goes, im sure she'll have a great time.

Good luck

D
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Wherever you go theres bound to be some trouble- heck I live in the middle of nowhere virtually and the things that go on....and yeah the Nottingham isn't quite in the north its not exactly southern either though. Too late now I guess but Southampton does a good Psychology course I think and that is very south with some good beaches and shops!!

ReputationRep:
    ive messaged a girl who studies/will be studying in glasgow shortly - i think she was brought up in scotland and knows the city so hopefully she will help you a little more than those of us that have never been to scotland. Like nottingham and london (which also have higher crime rates) glasgow is a good uni and nodoubt has turned its way around. it must have something like 15,000 students so if the youngsters go there it cant be that bad afterall! nottingham is seen as one of the best in the country regardless of the crime rate. some of the figures you hear can be really strange and shocking but until you speak to someone that knows it well i wouldnt run away from that option. im suprised to hear glasgow has done so well in psychology since its not one of the big names you hear about often. keep watching the post and hopefully soon students from glasgow will have more to say. Eitherway, youve not mad any bad choices as far as university quality goes - like surfbabe said, it all depends on personal opinion and desired lifestyle. I know people that transfered to leeds from oxford brookes because they wanted a fun nighttime, i know people that transfered from exeter to oxford brookes because they wanted less middle class culture, and i know people that have transfered from cardiff to exeter because they liked the city. im sure after more discussions with people who have studied at those cities you will have a better idea. if you would like any info about exeter then send me a private message and ill get back to you/your daughter (having spent 7 years at uni i know a thing or too about my campus!)

Goodluck!

ReputationRep:
    Hallo. The one woman Glasgow promotion machine is here! For an American student coming to the UK to study i really recommend Glasgow. It has tons of international students and the culture and city is so diverse.
    It does have a reputation for high crime rate, but you get that in alot of cities, regardless. Every city has their bad areas.

My first choice was initially Edinburgh, but after my rejection I have learnt to love Glasgow and I can't wait until i get there in September.
    About your daughter, if she enjoys music, nightlife, theatre and a different lifestyle I would reccommend Glasgow above all the other Universities. However, if she doesn't like cold weather and constant rainfall then I'd go for Exeter!

xx

ReputationRep:
    cor blimey that was quick - hi clarence - good to see a positive vibe from a glasgow student!

ReputationRep:
    Thought i'd have to come and defend my city!

ReputationRep:
    hahaha nice one blondie! glad you could join us, im going to watch the footie - ciao!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisa's Mum)
    Okay, now I am really worried, about this crime there. It has recieved an Architectual Digest, Queens's Award and Conde Nast Traveler for most fabulous and cultured city and voted most beautiful campus but the crime is a serious matter and Lisa would be out and about there. I know it is an industrial town and I did read on line something recently about the problem with NEDS, dilinquents there and drinking, maybe we shoudl cancel this uni. I do need the facts as we had not visited some of them, did visit 9 last year, although not the ones she applied to and also looked for her brother, Ryan.
    Don't worry about the crime in either Glasgow or Nottingham one bit - it's restricted solely to a few gangland areas your daughter would be warned about and highly unlikely to visit anyway, not targeted at random students. Like all cities, they have their problems, but it's no reason to write them off; have her choose on the basis of course content, nightlife etc. not improbable dangers.

ReputationRep:
    Leeds is the largest city out of your daughter's choices. I've been to Edinburgh and Leeds, although I preferred the city of Edinburgh I preferred the university in Leeds. Leeds has the best shopping outside London and the library is absolutely amazing. It is also a cheaper city than Edinburgh and slighgtly warmer. In winter it is probably 2 or 3 degrees warmer but in summer could easily be 5 degrees warmer. Edinburgh is a more beautiful city, but Leeds does have lots of beautiful buildings and I found the people to be friendlier.

ReputationRep:
    DONT GO TO LEEDS. Aaaand, by the by, Glasgow has the best shopping outside of London.

ReputationRep:
    Why not Leeds? Leeds city centre has more shops and a greater range of shops than the Oxford Street area of London. Everything from Harvey Nichols to a George Asda store.

ReputationRep:
    Same as Glasgow. This debate will never end.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.