Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Oh well, Glasgow and Leeds are joint-second in the UK for shopping then.

ReputationRep:
    Leeds is full of Indians.

Disclaimer: I AM NOT A RACIST.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarence)
    I believe you :eek:

Disclaimer: The above MAY be a lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisa's Mum)
    Thanks, actually I read that on line that Nottingham had some city issues. What do you think of Edinburgh and Glasgow? I hear a lot of wonderful things of Glasgow, most cultured city, most beautiful campus, Conde Nast Traveler voted it second to London last year. Just concerned of dialect for her as she has a lot of British friends and more familiar to her.
    Just want to point out that every major city has crime issues: a friend of mine goes to nottingham Uni, and she was really concerned about this! But having come from another major city (Manchester) she has been absolutely fine there. The campus is really secure well laid out, and even when she's been living in a rented house, she's encountered no problems. Anyway, the figures for those tables are apparently skewed - I heard they don't properly take into account London for all 'types' of crime, nor individualise different types of crime, e.g. gun, burglary. So what I'm trying to say is don't let hat be an issues so much: plus, the city is great for shops, and quite quaint in places!

All of the unis your daughter is considering have great reputations

ReputationRep:

And London is full of Londoners and southernors

Disclaimer: Cianara suckers

ReputationRep:
    Hallo. The one woman Glasgow promotion machine is here! For an American student coming to the UK to study i really recommend Glasgow. It has tons of international students and the culture and city is so diverse.
    It does have a reputation for high crime rate, but you get that in alot of cities, regardless. Every city has their bad areas.

My first choice was initially Edinburgh, but after my rejection I have learnt to love Glasgow and I can't wait until i get there in September.
    About your daughter, if she enjoys music, nightlife, theatre and a different lifestyle I would reccommend Glasgow above all the other Universities. However, if she doesn't like cold weather and constant rainfall then I'd go for Exeter!

xx
    Thanks, you are the first person from Glasgow to reply! I know it is an excellent institution and tops with Oxbridge, just concerned of crime issues, now.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go as far as it being tops with Oxbridge, but it is excellent for Psychology.
    Crime rates are the same as any large city. As long as she stays out of the bad areas, she shouldn't run into any trouble. Plus, the University is situated in the West End of Glasgow which is beautiful, upmarket and wonderful. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    ive messaged a girl who studies/will be studying in glasgow shortly - i think she was brought up in scotland and knows the city so hopefully she will help you a little more than those of us that have never been to scotland. Like nottingham and london (which also have higher crime rates) glasgow is a good uni and nodoubt has turned its way around. it must have something like 15,000 students so if the youngsters go there it cant be that bad afterall! nottingham is seen as one of the best in the country regardless of the crime rate. some of the figures you hear can be really strange and shocking but until you speak to someone that knows it well i wouldnt run away from that option. im suprised to hear glasgow has done so well in psychology since its not one of the big names you hear about often. keep watching the post and hopefully soon students from glasgow will have more to say. Eitherway, youve not mad any bad choices as far as university quality goes - like surfbabe said, it all depends on personal opinion and desired lifestyle. I know people that transfered to leeds from oxford brookes because they wanted a fun nighttime, i know people that transfered from exeter to oxford brookes because they wanted less middle class culture, and i know people that have transfered from cardiff to exeter because they liked the city. im sure after more discussions with people who have studied at those cities you will have a better idea. if you would like any info about exeter then send me a private message and ill get back to you/your daughter (having spent 7 years at uni i know a thing or too about my campus!)

Goodluck!
    can you please paragraph what you write?!? What a nightmare.

ReputationRep:

to be quite honest i don't think it is
    i've lived in leeds all my life.. and there are lots of indian people, white people, chinese people, black people and asian people.. the list goes on
    there are SOME areas that are predominantley indian, acutally i don't think there are; there are some that are predominantley muslim, thus asian. but i'm not sure about indian people. but also, there are a hell of a lot of areas that are mainly white

and im sure this is the case in many other areas.. and there are also lots of iranians, russians, poles (that a word), lebanese, iraqis.. turks.. the list goes on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KerriT)
    Why not Leeds? Leeds city centre has more shops and a greater range of shops than the Oxford Street area of London. Everything from Harvey Nichols to a George Asda store.
    Well said.. someone is defending my home city!
    And there also is the corn exchange.. shops here you will find no where else. There are loads of gigs, and cllubs and bars to suit every music taste.
    There's the free city bus haha!
    Hedingley which is almost a student city, well town, is really amazing too with cool original shops and bars.
    Kind of simply trying to defend Leeds now rather than advise on unis.. oh well!x

ReputationRep:
    You'll most likely get a flight from US to Glasgow rather than Edinburgh. However, its only a 50 min coach ride right into Edinburgh center.

The Edinburgh campus is right in the middle of the city as well. Unlike some other unis.

ReputationRep:
    Leeds is in the city too

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow is in the west. Much nicer.

ReputationRep:
    Okay..maybe it is

I actually should visit Glasgow i only ever went once when i was changing trains i think

Are there not many indian people in Glasgow?

Don't mean to sound patronising or rude or anything just wondering!
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow is 98 percent white.

ReputationRep:
    There are loads of American students at St Andrews. They apparently all love it, my best friend from high school goes to St Andrews and has loads of American friends. I think if your daughter goes there she will definitely find it easy to fit in and find her way.

St Andrews is also incredibly safe - my friend claims to have never seen any disturbance/fighting on a night out. I can't say the same about Liverpool, where I go to university.

Most St Andrews students are from affluent backgrounds. When I visited him I was quite shocked [although I kind of expected it] by the extent of wealth amongst the students.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham has best of both worlds. An amazing campus which is lively, modern but with traditional buildings and picturesque, and then it has an amazing city for both shopping and nightlife and the crime in generally confined to the gangs and 'dodgy' places which you can avoid quite easily. Any large city has these problems! Also, Nottingham has a fantastic reputation amongst employers and is probably the best university academically out of those choices

ReputationRep:
    Hey. May as well throw in my opinion...

Crime first. Can understand you being nervous - my mum is a big worrier too. I live in a city which also has increasing crime including "gun culture" and I've never seen any of it! It's all in the dodgy areas which I never have any need to go to. Plus I don't know how many of the people you hear about being shot were innocent bystanders. So I'm sure Lisa would be fine.

Also I don't know how crime rates here compare to America? In America many people own guns, I believe? But here they're pretty much banned, as somebody earlier said. This means that when people use guns or something it's big news. I'm not sure how much gun crime there is in America but perhaps it would be helpful comparing what you're used to in California to here?

I've heard that in the North they're surprised to hear that we Midlanders and Southerners get entire days without rain? :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think the main issue here is why Uk over California

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Hey. May as well throw in my opinion...

Crime first. Can understand you being nervous - my mum is a big worrier too. I live in a city which also has increasing crime including "gun culture" and I've never seen any of it! It's all in the dodgy areas which I never have any need to go to. Plus I don't know how many of the people you hear about being shot were innocent bystanders. So I'm sure Lisa would be fine.

Also I don't know how crime rates here compare to America? In America many people own guns, I believe? But here they're pretty much banned, as somebody earlier said. This means that when people use guns or something it's big news. I'm not sure how much gun crime there is in America but perhaps it would be helpful comparing what you're used to in California to here?

I've heard that in the North they're surprised to hear that we Midlanders and Southerners get entire days without rain? :p:
    Being so far away that is the only safety issue for her and as far as St. Andrews I know it is a fantastic school, but offers little on the weekends and can be very lonely there. Of all the schools, the coast has the worst weather and with so many American's there, not much of a cultural experience she desires, she could just go to the UC system here.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.