Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manifestation of morality)
    I think the main issue here is why Uk over California
    Lisa wants to take advantage of her full IB Dilpoma of which allows her to study any country outside of US. She loves the UK and would like to remain there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisa's Mum)
    Being so far away that is the only safety issue for her and as far as St. Andrews I know it is a fantastic school, but offers little on the weekends and can be very lonely there. Of all the schools, the coast has the worst weather and with so many American's there, not much of a cultural experience she desires, she could just go to the UC system here.
    I understand what you mean about the lack of cultural diversity at St Andrews, however it's not boring or lonely, in fact - the opposite. My friend has made [literally] a hundred or so friends and although St Andrews lacks a happenin' nightlife in terms of bars and clubs, the university organise events. The students make the entertainment for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RR)
    I understand what you mean about the lack of cultural diversity at St Andrews, however it's not boring or lonely, in fact - the opposite. My friend has made [literally] a hundred or so friends and although St Andrews lacks a happenin' nightlife in terms of bars and clubs, the university organise events. The students make the entertainment for themselves.
    I have heard it is a tight group and apparently that is why nearly fifty percent marry one another with such close proximity. My father was there and he thought it is just not an exciting place for someone that is very social. It is a beautiful campus and I think it is worth considering for the right person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silkweed)
    Hi

I applied from the states to the UK (I am British, but have lived 5 years in the states), so I hope I can help you.

As for the cities, I know most of them quite well - in terms of Scotland, for prestige I'd go for either St. Andrews or Edinburgh. I lived just outside Glasgow for a while, and the city has a lot to offer, but academically the other two are just a cut above in my opinion - of course this depends on the course. I feel that what Glasgow offers as a city can be found mostly in Edinburgh (plus other attractions, festivals etc), which is incidentally one of my favourite places. Other people may disagree, however. As for Edinburgh and St. Andrews, both are excellent universities, so I'd go firstly by detailed course description (which does she prefer?) and then location. St. Andrews is small and full of tradition, Edinburgh is much larger and full of cultural activities. I applied to Edinburgh as my Scottish choice over St. Andrews based on location. Both universities have high percentages of American students (St. Andrews moreso), so she can experience a different country with a bit of home comfort, if that's important to her.

In terms of England, all the universities are good. Exeter is a gorgeous city, and quite safe - I applied there. The university has a really nice campus too. Nottingham is a very highly rated university, but does have quite a lot of crime allegedly (I haven't lived there, so take it with a pinch of salt). I've heard the campus there is nice too. Leeds and Essex are also good, although I can't claim to know too much about either. I have a friend doing French and Politics at Leeds and she loves it - it is a big, vibrant city as far as I am aware.

This is what I'd consider above all else - the course. Scottish degrees are typically 4 years, English ones are 3 (generally). For example, I picked Edinburgh as my insurance choice for Q306 English Literature, but the course is not simply English Lit. In my first two years only 1/3 of my time would be spent doing English, 2/3 comes from other subjects, a bit more like a liberal arts education in the states. I picked Durham for my firm with Q300 English Lit. but will study 3 years of straight English Lit.

Does your daughter want a (almost) purely Psychology degree, or would she like to continue with more subjects (generally two)? A lot of Americans choose Scottish universities because the systems parallel each other more than most English degrees (of course, this varies). I'd advise your daughter to look carefully at the courses - that is how I made my final decision. I scrutinised the course descriptions, the modules, etc, and I picked the one I liked the best.

I wanted to go straight into my subject because I felt sure about it (and had the opportunity to experiment with two modules outside my degree in the first year). As someone coming from a diploma based K-12 education, I feel ready to go straight into my subject - your daughter may or may not feel the same way after doing the IB, and should take that into consideration with her choice.

This will narrow down her decision. Then it's a matter of location - personally, if your daughter goes for a Scottish university, I'd advise going for Edinburgh in Scotland because it will be more lively for a student (in my opinion) and that type of atmosphere is important to me and may be to her as well. If she goes for England, I'd pick either Nottingham, Leeds or Exeter depending on whether you want a small city environment or big city life, and of course taking each course into consideration (download/send off for the course descriptions!).

I hope this helped somewhat!
    Thank you and I really think you have listed a lot of facts to consider. I agree of Edinburgh as first choice and I know she had previously eliminated Nottingham and was considering Leeds and Exeter and according to so many, Exeter is in the lead of which is surprising as Leeds offers a wonderful city and nightlife, I am told, but the Psychology is not it's strong point. Exeter is smaller and she did want a larger area so I am saddened that Glasgow does not seem to be working out. She is doing single major of Psychology and continuing on for a postgraduate degree. Nottingham and St. Andrews do want a very high IB score in addition and the others offer more with lesser offers. It is surprising as I was reading that St. Andrews is even in the red, suppose that is why so many American's there. Here in California she has so many friends of all different nationalities and that is not the issue, only understanding the dialect and being more anglicized of English language.

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh, Glasgow is only an hour by train if she wants to experience it as well.

I can understand your concerns over safety but its not like its anarchic over here! shes more likely to get a gun pointed in her face where she is in the states I would imagine. Anyways its very easy to pick up some "streetwise" of what not to do living in a city, most city based uni's in my experience don't really overlap with the "harder" areas related with the crime that cities are associated with.

tbh getting a degree from Glasgow, Edinburgh, Leeds, Exeter, Nottingham any of them and you're on your way to be honest, we can argue table positions but at the end of the day its course content and the environment she will be working and living in thats important.

What about Bristol? *sneaks hometown into equation* well regarded, biggish southern city with a great nightlife not far from London? anyways, not on your list but worth a look

ReputationRep:
    I think that Matt's suggestion for your daughter to study at Bristol is a good one. The university is a very reputable and established one which seems to fulfill many of the criteria and considerations you have mentiooned throughout the thread. I don't think your daughter applied there though, which would make this suggestion naught, but if she does intend to take a gap year and matriculate in 2007, then you should probably consider Bristol. Have a look around their website at http://www.bristol.ac.uk/. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    No, if you read earlier, she already applied and only limited to six at max and offers from all. We live in California and it is not the wild west with guns and crime like the movies. It is the diliniquents that I am concerned about and gang members and if she is walking around at dusk or later or going to a night club, concern for safety.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    Edinburgh, Glasgow is only an hour by train if she wants to experience it as well.

I can understand your concerns over safety but its not like its anarchic over here! shes more likely to get a gun pointed in her face where she is in the states I would imagine. Anyways its very easy to pick up some "streetwise" of what not to do living in a city, most city based uni's in my experience don't really overlap with the "harder" areas related with the crime that cities are associated with.

tbh getting a degree from Glasgow, Edinburgh, Leeds, Exeter, Nottingham any of them and you're on your way to be honest, we can argue table positions but at the end of the day its course content and the environment she will be working and living in thats important.

What about Bristol? *sneaks hometown into equation* well regarded, biggish southern city with a great nightlife not far from London? anyways, not on your list but worth a look
    I did not like your poor taste of a photograph of a film excerpt and if you could please remove it as I am sure it offends others. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarence)
    Glasgow is 98 percent white.
    How disgusting.
    (Original post by Lisa's Mum)
    I did not like your poor taste of a photograph of a film excerpt and if you could please remove it as I am sure it offends others. Thank you.
    Buh?

ReputationRep:
    She means MattG's signature photo.

ReputationRep:
    MattG's photo is fine.

To be honest, every city has its drug-addled delinquesnts. Like I said, I'm sure she's smart and streetwise enough to get by on a night out without even having to confront them. I can't see her getting caught up in the gangs in the suburbs of some of the towns (so not near the centre or uni), so that just leaves opportunists. If she doesn't scream out 'I'm a target!' in her manner, I'm sure she'll be fine.

I can understand your concerns, but as a mum, I think you just have to accept the fact that you'll worry about that even if she moves a few doors down the road from you! It's a mum thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    How disgusting.
    It's a fact.

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh, St. Andrews and Nottingham have very strong reputations in the U.K. although I believe that the first two (Scottish ones) are better rated in the U.S. Personally I would choose one of those three as first choice, but the other universities are all good universities.

I suspect you have already seen the 2006 Times overall league table? If not it is worth having a look at, league tables are far from perfect and have their flaws, but they give some indication of general reputation.

1 Oxford
    2 Cambridge
    3 Imperial
    4 LSE
    5 UCL
    6 Loughborough
    7 Bristol
    8 Warwick
    9 Bath
    10 Durham
    11 Edinburgh
    12 Royal Holloway
    13 Aston
    14 Nottingham
    15 York
    16 Cardiff
    17 Kings College London
    =18 Leicester
    =18 SOAS
    =18 St Andrews
    21 Lancaster
    22 Southampton
    23 East Anglia
    24 Sheffield
    25 Newcastle
    26 Manchester
    27 Sussex
    =28 Exeter
    =28 Glasgow
    30 Essex
    31 Reading
    32 Queens, Belfast
    33 Birmingham
    =34 Kent
    =34 Leeds

The top 20 from the Times Psychology league table (which I believe you have already seen)

1 Cambridge
    2 Oxford
    3 Univ Coll London
    4 Bristol
    5 St Andrews
    6 Nottingham
    7 Bath
    8 York
    9 Cardiff
    10 Durham
    11 Newcastle
    12 Royal Holloway
    13 Sheffield
    14 Exeter
    15 Warwick
    16 Surrey
    17 Southampton
    18= Sussex
    18= Glasgow
    20 Reading

The correlation between the two would suggest Nottingham or St Andrews as the best choices. However, it is generally a good rule that for undergraduate the prestige of the university is more important than that of the department while the opposite is the case for postgraduate.

NB I have not read the whole thread

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to Edinburgh in September and cannot wait. Edinburgh has so many great points as everyone has mentioned. But it is worth considering what silkweed said about the course structure. If all Lisa wants to do is Psychology then maybe a Scottish Uni is not right for her. However if (like me) she would enjoy taking additional subjects (usually 2) in her first two years then Edinburgh is a great choice. Be warned though, the cost of living is very high and is definitely something to think about as the Scottish system means that degrees last 4 years as apposed to 3 years in England. And remember that even though you do get an MA from Scotland it is just an undergraduate masters and is no better than a BA from England.

My main point however is LEEDS!
    I really feel that i have to stick up for it! I live only a few miles away and find myself going there all the time. It is fantastic for shopping. (i chose to go there over Manchester even) Harvey Nicks is there as well as your bog-standard high street shops such as Topshop etc. There is also the corn exchange where you can buy so many quirky items.
    The sports facilities are great and if she likes going to watch sports then the city has both football and rugby teams.
    The people of Leeds really are amazing. It is true that there are many different races but this is definitely not a negative. There are also areas that are predominitely white British.
    The nightlife is also fantastic, so if she is into clubbing etc then she will feel totally at home in Leeds.
    The train services are good and the Virgin train can get you to London in just over 2 hours for 19 pounds return if you book in advance!
    And on the academic side it is also good. The university has a good reputation despite it not being as highly ranked as St Andrews, Edinburgh and Exeter. It really is good for psychology as well. My friend is going to be starting there is September to do Psychology and he got 5 As at AS level and is predicted 4 As at A2, so the academic environment is of a high callibre.

Basically, what im saying is don't rule out Leeds because i am sure she will have a fantastic time and come out with a top-class education should she go there!!

x x
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The best choice is the place that suits you the best, not what some league table says.

As for "drug-addled delinquents", I live in a really small town and they exist here too! Its not a problem that only exists in cities. If you use your head and make sure you aren't walking on your own on a dark street in the middle of the night then it shouldn't really be a problem. Bad stuff happens-you can't exactly avoid it.

ReputationRep:
    Let me just say this is one of the funniest threads I've read in a while.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beach_surf_babe)
    The best choice is the place that suits you the best, not what some league table says.
    I am lucky that Oxford suited me and the league table fine.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by pendragon)
    I am lucky that Oxford suited me and the league table fine.
    Good for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beach_surf_babe)
    Why?
    Because it does so much to reinforce stereotypes of middle class American parents.

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.