Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Oh right...yeah I guess it does. "Can't have anything less than brilliant for the kids..." type stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I don’t see a problem with a parent wanting to make sure her daughter is going to be safe when she travels to another part of the world. If I had a daughter asking which city is more fun to live in and in turn had students talking about high crime rates, gangs and knife cultures I too would be concerned. I don’t see a problem with taking in to account the reputation of a city (like the reputation of a university) when making a choice over where to live and study for 3 years. I also think it would be a mistake to assume that all cities are equal in terms of crime ('all cities have their bad and good elements') - Nottingham and Exeter are by no means comparable. This is not to say that Nottingham is a worse place to study (I think most of us would agree that the university has a better general rep. than Exeter) but we cannot hide from the fact that the city has a poor crime rate. I doubt being concerned for one’s daughter is a consequence of being middle class or American.

ReputationRep:
    I think the difference is that shes coming from a perspective of general opinions (wherever they come from) and %'s of crime in cities whilst others are talking about their experiences as a student, both have their + and -'s but I think some students hear these reports of crime and don't know anyone whos been a victim of it, so its hard to imagine the real crime level of their city, mainly basically university students have perhaps a warped view of a city

oh and concerning the sig, it isn't moving, you're the first complaint compared to a few PM's and Reps in favour of it

ReputationRep:
    This 'poor crime rate' is so overexaggerated, it's ridiculous. I have lived in nice parts of manchester and rough parts, and there was regularly trouble in both. In my time at nottingham (the two are often compared in terms of crime rates) i have not seen any serious trouble, and the trouble i have read about in the paper has been all in areas where students have no reason to go to.

On all the nights out i've been (average 3 a week) to clubs/bars etc there have been no injuries more serious than the odd bust nose, and that happens everywhere. So, could everybody please get off the ' nottingham has a bad crime rate' thing, it may be true but it very very rarely affects students, and is giving people a seriously skewed idea of what notts is like.

cheers

D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarence)
    It's a fact.
    yes but coupled with your comment of leeds being "full of indians" (wasn't it leeds?) then it is poor taste, I take it you're not a fan of multi-culturism? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Leeds is definately a nice city, big, busy loads of shops, clubs, excellent nightlife etc. However, in comparison to the other unis you've mentioned, I don't think its as highly regarded as places like Edinburgh or St.Andrews or probably even Nottingham or Glasgow. It certainly has slightly lower offers (for sciences, anyway) than the others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    yes but coupled with your comment of leeds being "full of indians" (wasn't it leeds?) then it is poor taste, I take it you're not a fan of multi-culturism? :rolleyes:
    They're only saying that because Leeds is next to Bradford, which seems rather ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    MattG & Freshest Kid - youre both probably right in your own ways. I know Nottingham grads. who claim the city is rough as rats so Im not going to stand back and pretend its not an issue for students because some students I know have experienced problems. BUT we also have seen that despite the crime rate thousands of students attend the university and for subjects like law, medicine and pharmacy (to name a few) it has an outstanding reputation attracting the top students and can be seen as akin to oxbridge and london. Since Nottingham keeps attracting the students it really cant be THAT unsafe in the student districts/cultures.

My post was more directed towards the notion of stereotyping against middle class Americans. I still dont think its unreasonable for a parent to express concerns after hearing about crime and violence, regardless of the race or social class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pendragon)
    Edinburgh, St. Andrews and Nottingham have very strong reputations in the U.K. although I believe that the first two (Scottish ones) are better rated in the U.S. Personally I would choose one of those three as first choice, but the other universities are all good universities.

I suspect you have already seen the 2006 Times overall league table? If not it is worth having a look at, league tables are far from perfect and have their flaws, but they give some indication of general reputation.

1 Oxford
    2 Cambridge
    3 Imperial
    4 LSE
    5 UCL
    6 Loughborough
    7 Bristol
    8 Warwick
    9 Bath
    10 Durham
    11 Edinburgh
    12 Royal Holloway
    13 Aston
    14 Nottingham
    15 York
    16 Cardiff
    17 Kings College London
    =18 Leicester
    =18 SOAS
    =18 St Andrews
    21 Lancaster
    22 Southampton
    23 East Anglia
    24 Sheffield
    25 Newcastle
    26 Manchester
    27 Sussex
    =28 Exeter
    =28 Glasgow
    30 Essex
    31 Reading
    32 Queens, Belfast
    33 Birmingham
    =34 Kent
    =34 Leeds

The top 20 from the Times Psychology league table (which I believe you have already seen)

1 Cambridge
    2 Oxford
    3 Univ Coll London
    4 Bristol
    5 St Andrews
    6 Nottingham
    7 Bath
    8 York
    9 Cardiff
    10 Durham
    11 Newcastle
    12 Royal Holloway
    13 Sheffield
    14 Exeter
    15 Warwick
    16 Surrey
    17 Southampton
    18= Sussex
    18= Glasgow
    20 Reading

The correlation between the two would suggest Nottingham or St Andrews as the best choices. However, it is generally a good rule that for undergraduate the prestige of the university is more important than that of the department while the opposite is the case for postgraduate.

NB I have not read the whole thread
    Thanks for the latest Psychology list and I don't see Edinburgh on there, that is why she selected that uni off the 2005 list, this is getting confusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisa's Mum)
    Thanks for the latest Psychology list and I don't see Edinburgh on there, that is why she selected that uni off the 2005 list, this is getting confusing.
    Strange, but they do change. The subject tables are less reliable, they fluctuate more. The general league table is better; certain uni's will always appear reasonably high up.

For example Durham was rated higher than Oxford for history in the latest subject table, and no one would choose to study history at Durham over Oxford. A previous year also saw Oxford Brookes history department rated better than Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    League tables are wierd at the moment. No research score has been published since 2001 (the research score was based on research conducted in 1998, 1999 and 2000 so its hard to rely on) . The teaching quality scores are a few years old too (some institutes havent had an updated teaching score since 1996). Thus, the two most important factors - teaching quality and research quality cant be relied upon and sometimes missing from the tables. Other factors include spending, student-staff ratio, inclusiveness, value added measures etc, and although they are interesting, in my opinion are not as important as teaching and research quality. So, see them as a very general indicator rather than a precise list. Each year the tables change in dramatic ways.

ReputationRep:
    Brookes beat Oxford Uni in the RAE 2001 and had a high teaching quality score in the same year. So, when research and teaching quality was valued more, Brookes was higher up the table.

ReputationRep:
    League tables are definatly an interesting indicator, but it's only as a general indication. As said about the Durham/Oxford history case, it's not just about the subject, but also about how the uni is seen, and whether she will also enjoy it there!

I'm hopefully heading up to St Andrews, so i'll give a general view of what it is like, well at least from the open day. It's a small town on the East coast of Scotland, about an hour by train from Edinburgh, transports links are pretty good with several taxi services (e.g. standrewsdirect) offering direct from the centre of town to Edinburgh airport. Academic wise, it looked top notch and I really like the departments that i'm applying for. The general consensus in the St Andrews forum is that the psychology department is realy great (sorry can't think of a better word) but the course is more scientific than expected (some people expected a more humanistic approach). Subject wise you can't really go wrong with any of those instituitions though.

From what I know there is also a large american contingent at St Andrews (15% I believe?) so she would have some American company (another girl in my open day tour group was from California and another from Colorado).

As for her interests, well St Andrews has many theatre orientated societies, and they promoted that a lot at the open day. Apparently the nightlife isn't that great, but there are regular trips made to Dundee and Edinburgh for nightclubs and so forth. The only criticism a student had was that after four years it was slightly claustrophobic as you tend to know everyone on the street!

Safety wise as said before by many people, the papers really do hype it up! Although really nothing ever goes on in St Andrews, mainly since it's a fairly small place.
    Hope that helped in a little bit, but really you can't go wrong with any of those places at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinyhappy)
    They're only saying that because Leeds is next to Bradford, which seems rather ignorant.

Yeah but Bradford really isn't FULL of indians either, my boyfriend lives there and he is Mulsim. I'd say about 40% Muslim, 40% White, 10% Indian and lots of russians and poles too.. any Bradfordians correct me if im wrong

And whats wrong with that anyway?

I really love it, at my college it's almost the same as the ethnic proportions of Leeds and i love it, you learn a lot more about different cultures and it's just great. I'd sooner have it like that than 98% white. And if Leeds is full of Indians, which, it isn't and i'd like to see some proof if you think it is.. then i love it!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, the weather in the UK will be nothing like the weather in California or Hawaii, no matter where you go. It might be milder in the south, but there won't be palm trees etc. And you get nice summerdays everywhere

Personally, I'll be going to Nottingham. I know it has a fantastic nightlife and a very cosmopolitan city. The campus is absolutely beautiful and like a big park with a lake and nice old buildings etc. The crime issue seems to be overrated, it's not as bad as it's made out to be and the campus is safe anyway. There are many international students at Notts (I'm from Germany) and I know the uni does a yearly exchange with a couple US schools, so she will find some Americans, too It's a really good uni, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anne*UK*06)
    To be honest, the weather in the UK will be nothing like the weather in California or Hawaii, no matter where you go. It might be milder in the south, but there won't be palm trees etc. And you get nice summerdays everywhere

Personally, I'll be going to Nottingham. I know it has a fantastic nightlife and a very cosmopolitan city. The campus is absolutely beautiful and like a big park with a lake and nice old buildings etc. The crime issue seems to be overrated, it's not as bad as it's made out to be and the campus is safe anyway. There are many international students at Notts (I'm from Germany) and I know the uni does a yearly exchange with a couple US schools, so she will find some Americans, too It's a really good uni, too.
    There are palm trees in the south - loads of 'em! have you ever been? lol , torquay, plymouth, exeter, all over cornwall. having lived in the north until i was 18 then moving to the southwest i assure you the weather is veeeeery different.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've been And Brighton's beautiful, too :p: But Plymouth still gets snow and nasty weather etc... I'm just saying there's no California in England And I don't think she should base her decision on the fact that Exeter may be a bit milder
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Anne*UK*06)
    Yeah, I've been But Plymouth still gets snow and nasty weather etc...
    not very often!! first white xmas for 40 years here a couple of years ago!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_princess_stacey)
    Yeah but Bradford really isn't FULL of indians either, my boyfriend lives there and he is Mulsim. I'd say about 40% Muslim, 40% White, 10% Indian and lots of russians and poles too.. any Bradfordians correct me if im wrong

And whats wrong with that anyway?

I really love it, at my college it's almost the same as the ethnic proportions of Leeds and i love it, you learn a lot more about different cultures and it's just great. I'd sooner have it like that than 98% white. And if Leeds is full of Indians, which, it isn't and i'd like to see some proof if you think it is.. then i love it!

I think you misunderstood my point. I was pointing out how ignorant it was for someone to say Leeds was 'full of Indians'. I couldn't care less whether it is or it isn't, I was saying that they're getting confused with Bradford, which is a very multicultural city, and has a reasonably high Indian population.
    And I'm certainly not saying there's anything wrong with multiculturalism

ReputationRep:
    141 posts and still going strong.........

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.