Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fundamentally)
    If she is terribly concerned by the Scottish dialect (sic), then she should probably avoid Scotland.
    I heard that the Edinburgh accent was more easily comprehendable than many regional English accents. Someone told me it sounded quite posh? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alispam)
    not very often!! first white xmas for 40 years here a couple of years ago!

But December isn't a particularly snowy month. That's January and February. It's too mild in December for lots of snow. And if I recall correctly, we had snow here in Brighton in March. March!

ReputationRep:
    good old global warming!!! Still, palm trees, surfing and heatwaves in the southwest are not images common to scotland!! Though in all fairness plymouth rains a hell of a lot more than certain northern areas.

ReputationRep:
    christ - how british of us - discussing the weather. you 'international' students are being assimilated into our boring cultural ways. more tea?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    thanx, pass the scones please...

ReputationRep:
    Lisa has a very devoted mum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisa's Mum)
    Okay, now I am really worried, about this crime there. It has recieved an Architectual Digest, Queens's Award and Conde Nast Traveler for most fabulous and cultured city and voted most beautiful campus but the crime is a serious matter and Lisa would be out and about there. I know it is an industrial town and I did read on line something recently about the problem with NEDS, dilinquents there and drinking, maybe we shoudl cancel this uni. I do need the facts as we had not visited some of them, did visit 9 last year, although not the ones she applied to and also looked for her brother, Ryan.
    I don't think the crime in Nottingham is anything to worry about. As with any other big city crime is everywhere. The same could be said for big citites such as California and New york. I wouldn't let that fact rule out a brilliant university.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by beatnik~87)
    The same could be said for big citites such as California and New york.
    california a city ehh?

ReputationRep:
    There are about a dozen cities called California actually!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beatnik~87)
    I don't think the crime in Nottingham is anything to worry about. As with any other big city crime is everywhere. The same could be said for big citites such as California and New york. I wouldn't let that fact rule out a brilliant university.
    I was commenting on U of Glasgow, not Nottingham on this matter.

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow really is a city to worry about - highest murder rate in Western Europe despite very low gun crime. I know someone at GSA and three people were knifed and one raped a few streets away from her last month. I'd check out where the university's accommodation is, and where students live after first year.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/art...596079,00.html

ReputationRep:
    I know but I was referring to Nottingham, what I said does apply to both uni's though. I know people would be more worried about gun crime and violence in the states compared to Nottingham. (Not me personally but people in general)

I'm not saying Nottingham is the safest city but the rep of the uni is very high compared to the rest. I think she may enjoy it here. I live in London and I know people are scared to study here because of 7/7, but I think that really shouldn't deter them from choosing a good university.

ReputationRep:
    As for general league tables, once you are out of the top five nos. 6-20 are of a similar calibre and then nos. 21-40 are comparable too. Sometimes there are anomalies but it is silly to choose a university because it is ranked 22nd over a university ranked 30th because there is very little difference and by the time your daughter graduates the lower ranked university might well be ranked higher than the other one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrinceOfCats)
    Glasgow really is a city to worry about - highest murder rate in Western Europe despite very low gun crime. I know someone at GSA and three people were knifed and one raped a few streets away from her last month. I'd check out where the university's accommodation is, and where students live after first year.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/art...596079,00.html
    I just leafed through the on line Guardian and now I am thinking that Edinburgh and Glasgow have issues with all the crime, drugs and alcoholism there. I will pass onto Lisa and now that her other three choices are Nottingham (gun problems) of which leaves Leeds and Exeter will have to select those. St. Andrews is remote but not sure it is worth it being part of Scotland. I can not believe the issues they are having over there, never would have known, it is like the LA area here, although worse. The only other possibility is to go into clearing of which may have limited choices for her. I will know for her brother, Ryan of whom is applying this fall to stay in England and avoid any conflict, it is not like a student is going to be locked up in a dorm the entire time. They will be out at cafes and socializing and these two cities sound more like NY in the US, real issues, I am glad I found out than to avoid a transfer later. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I just leafed through the on line Guardian and now I am thinking that Edinburgh and Glasgow have issues with all the crime, drugs and alcoholism there. I will pass onto Lisa and now that her other three choices are Nottingham (gun problems) of which leaves Leeds and Exeter will have to select those. St. Andrews is remote but not sure it is worth it being part of Scotland. I can not believe the issues they are having over there, never would have known, it is like the LA area here, although worse. The only other possibility is to go into clearing of which may have limited choices for her. I will know for her brother, Ryan of whom is applying this fall to stay in England and avoid any conflict, it is not like a student is going to be locked up in a dorm the entire time. They will be out at cafes and socializing and these two cities sound more like NY in the US, real issues, I am glad I found out than to avoid a transfer later. Thanks.
    I don't have anything to back this up, but on the flipside, from my experience of American cities, city centres are a lot more dodgy in the USA (Denver was a nightmare, ditto Washington). Violence is quite ghettoised in Britain, the murder rates for somewhere like Glasgow are pushed up by dodgy suburbs that your daughter will never visit as a student. And I've never heard of Edinburgh city centre being dodgy.

ReputationRep:
    Everywhere as drugs, alcohol and violence problems. And yes, its most concentrated in certain areas and suburbs of cities.

And Edinburgh's a general friendly place... :/

ReputationRep:
    Leeds has as many problems with crime as Edinburgh or Glasgow. That's what cities are like. But the student areas are safe. Do you not think you're being a little over protective?

ReputationRep:
    I just leafed through the on line Guardian and now I am thinking that Edinburgh and Glasgow have issues with all the crime, drugs and alcoholism there.
    :rofl:

That's a problem at every university I'm afraid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    Leeds has as many problems with crime as Edinburgh or Glasgow. That's what cities are like. But the student areas are safe. Do you not think you're being a little over protective?

im not sure leeds is that big on crime to be honest
    ive lived here all my life and been to most parts of leeds and its okay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_princess_stacey)
    im not sure leeds is that big on crime to be honest
    ive lived here all my life and been to most parts of leeds and its okay
    Exactly my point. There are dodgy areas in every city but most are safe.

I've never heard of much crime being associated with Edinburgh, it's not got a bad reputation.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.