Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.. and obviously there will be some things that may get her into trouble.. like walking round Leeds at night with an ipod and phone in hand! But that's jsut common sense really.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly you're going to get things like that in the majority of the big cities you go to and its a case of having enough sense to think 'so I'm not going to walk home alone, with a flashy iPod/watch/mobile phone'. I would say to her though that if she wants to go somewhere quite cosmopolitan that she should avoid St Andrews (don't get me wrong it is a fantastic university) but it is a very small town, and it takes quite a lot of effort to get to and therefore travel from (especially if she plans to visit her friends). Also if she doesn't like the cold don't go to Scotland. Its freeeezing, especially in the middle of winter! The other uni's she's chosen are very good ones though, especially Nottingham. I've visited it and it is quite a beautiful university (or the arts side of it is) plus its in a great town.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    i wonder what its like compared to newyork
    New York is way more dangerous in every category.

ReputationRep:
    Sheesh, people get so offended these days. Was only lighthearted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarence)
    Sheesh, people get so offended these days. Was only lighthearted.
    I see you are going to be attending U of Glasgow this fall and have you been there and are you concerned of the city issues that have been mentioned on the site? My daughter listed this one and Edinburgh as her choices based on being such outstanding research based medical institutions, she wants to be a psychologist and just would also rather be in England. She is familiar with England and the other choices as she made all six offers are Leeds and Exeter, aside from Nottingham (gun crime, mentioned) and St. Andrews, too remote. What have you heard and where are you from? Otherwise, Glasgow is sounding a lot like New York in US, we are from California. I spoke to UCAS and they also said she could go back into the system, clearing and listed unis choose from there of her major, what a mess, just not sure at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisa's Mum)
    I see you are going to be attending U of Glasgow this fall and have you been there and are you concerned of the city issues that have been mentioned on the site? My daughter listed this one and Edinburgh as her choices based on being such outstanding research based medical institutions, she wants to be a psychologist and just would also rather be in England. She is familiar with England and the other choices as she made all six offers are Leeds and Exeter, aside from Nottingham (gun crime, mentioned) and St. Andrews, too remote. What have you heard and where are you from? Otherwise, Glasgow is sounding a lot like New York in US, we are from California. I spoke to UCAS and they also said she could go back into the system, clearing and listed unis choose from there of her major, what a mess, just not sure at all!
    I really wouldn't get caught up with that fact as guns are illegal and quite rare in comparison to other countries. Every city has crime mostly knife crime and bound to appear compared to small towns.

Exeter is a very small town, I haven't actually been there but it is more countryside then city.

ReputationRep:
    :tsr2: :suitc: :tux: Okay, what exactly is the verdict with regard to Edinburgh and Glasgow, as the crime issues mentioned are serious and yet a few mentioned it is a wonderful place, all you medical students. She can change her choices to Exeter and Leeds as forget Nottingham, gun issues and St. Andrews is safer but too isolated. Maybe she should cancel and go into clearing altogether, anyone that has previously pursued this route? Are most unis available and her major is psychology. After reading all the comments, sounds like most are in favor of England for schools and if MA and BA are equal, she wants a postgraduate degree, she will have a faster route staying in England. She will be in next week and will read all of these comments and we need to move fast as I think UCAS said the end of July before all results are in. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I live in a city which is known for rising crime problems and a few weeks ago there was a riot here! But I don't get to see any of it! And in fact the local university here is in a nice area away from the crime places so I'm sure it is in places like nottingham.

Perhaps it'd be best if you could just get on the next plane here and take a tour of all the unis and cities you're considering :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beatnik~87)
    I really wouldn't get caught up with that fact as guns are illegal and quite rare in comparison to other countries. Every city has crime mostly knife crime and bound to appear compared to small towns.

Exeter is a very small town, I haven't actually been there but it is more countryside then city.
    Eeeeeeerm - youre wrong about that Exeter is a city, not a town or a village (?!?!?). I'ts not more countryside than city, but the city is surrounded by countryside and the city is very green and historical. Its small for a city - nothing like Wells city, but it is still a city and bigger than most towns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silkweed)
    Clearing can be a good option, but to be honest you have some pretty great universities to choose from - I think it would be a mistake to go to clearing. Exeter is gorgeous, my cousin goes there and loves it, Nottingham is very good academically and has a gorgeous campus, in Scotland you have the three best universities the country offerswith a choice between rural and cosmopolitan areas.

I think you should be deciding England/Scotland, Urban/Rural, and Course specifics and then going for the one which is best for your daughter. What is her preference? You have indicated that England is preferable over Scotland, in which case you have four good choices. Nottingham does have a crime reputation moreso than other cities, but you live in Los Angeles ... just like in America, if you avoid bad areas and have some common sense you will likely be fine.

Which course does she prefer? Does she have a preference as to whether she wants to live in North or South England? Which of these universities (if any) has she visited?
    Actually, she based her decision on extensive research on the major and also the ratings of school overall, we must own seven reference books, information overload! We actually live outside of San Francisco, in the wonderful Capitol of Sacramento, more trees than Paris, France, old historic area, very traditional, called the Fabulous Forties. In fact, Ronald Regan used to reside here at one time. Anyway, I am concerned as a few brought up the two areas of Edinburgh and Glasgow as having issues with violence and alchoholism and true, she would not be alone most likely, but I know Exeter is a much safer area, problem is she put in her two choices, can change them as all unis are available as I had checked and they are e-mailing and sending notes through the post, I suppose with the overseas rates we would pay, she is more interesting. She does prefer England, although we are sad this has soured against Scotland and yet there are some posts saying of how wondeful it is there, so conflicting and there is not time to visit Scotland at all.

ReputationRep:
    more trees than Paris, France
    I love how Americans say Paris, France. It is because you guys have a Paris, Texas too. But it is just so funny as a European to hear someone have to specify which Paris they are refering to.

ReputationRep:
    From what I have heard from friends Edinburgh is quite safe; Glasgow and Nottingham are the only towns I have heard of having serious problems. This is how I would rank the uni's for safety.

1 St Andrews
    2 Exeter
    3 Edinburgh
    4 Leeds
    5 Glasgow
    6 Nottingham

Given that safety and presitge are top on your list St Andrews would be the best choice, but you have said that is too remote and quiet for her. So if I were her I would put Edinburgh as first choice, and Exeter as insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pendragon)
    From what I have heard from friends Edinburgh is quite safe; Glasgow and Nottingham are the only towns I have heard of having serious problems. This is how I would rank the uni's for safety.

1 St Andrews
    2 Exeter
    3 Edinburgh
    4 Leeds
    5 Glasgow
    6 Nottingham

Given that safety and presitge are top on your list St Andrews would be the best choice, but you have said that is too remote and quiet for her. So if I were her I would put Edinburgh as first choice, and Exeter as insurance.
    Thanks, I am thinking the same, although St. Andrews I am not so sure of as I hear the weather is awful, worse location of all of them. I would like more information on Leeds and surprised only a handful of medical students going to U of Glasgow responded as of yet. There must be tons of students out there and what about Leeds and Exeter in the evening, walking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silkweed)
    Ah, sorry, got the impression you were in LA! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I see - she has picked. Personally, I think Exeter is a nice place to live. Much more lively than St. Andrews but not as varied and big as Leeds. I would honestly probably switch to Exeter if I decided I'd prefer England to Scotland (but both Scottish unis are great, and I promise Edinburgh is a great place to live). What I mean by course preference is the exact specifications of the different courses. Online there should be a detailed description of each module she will take, often they give the texts, the outline of the topics covered. Have you looked at these? She may find one course jumps out at her as being inherently more interesting - this is important, she will be studying just that subject for three years.

Good luck!
    Okay, even though two choices are selected she has the option to move them around and all offers are available as she made all acceptances. Do you know if both Leeds and Exeter are safer at night? Also, I told her maybe we could just make a fast trip over there to view town and campus, possibility as it is so permanent. I wish things weren't so awful with Glasgow suddenly, aside from the medical students that love it. The other issue is that the year longer of education in Scotland versus England, of which she could get started on post graduate faster, so maybe Edinburgh is not worth it and should consider Leeds and Exeter. Also, she could go into the clearing process and select what is available for Psych all over again.

ReputationRep:
    :tsr2: :suitc: :tux: Okay, what exactly is the verdict with regard to Edinburgh and Glasgow, as the crime issues mentioned are serious and yet a few mentioned it is a wonderful place, all you medical students. She can change her choices to Exeter and Leeds as forget Nottingham, gun issues and St. Andrews is safer but too isolated. Maybe she should cancel and go into clearing altogether, anyone that has previously pursued this route? Are most unis available and her major is psychology. After reading all the comments, sounds like most are in favor of England for schools and if MA and BA are equal, she wants a postgraduate degree, she will have a faster route staying in England. She will be in next week and will read all of these comments and we need to move fast as I think UCAS said the end of July before all results are in. Thanks!
    I wouldn't cancel if I were you. These are very good places for a very competitive choice. It is should be said that clearing places will not be as good as what your daughter has.

ReputationRep:
    The other issue is that the year longer of education in Scotland versus England, of which she could get started on post graduate faster, so maybe Edinburgh is not worth it and should consider Leeds and Exeter.
    If she plans on doing postgraduate then the prestige of her 1st degree uni is paramount. An extra year is not really a problem, unless it is the money you are concerned about. Another point is that making the transition into the British system (even from an IB background) can be tough, just as it is difficult for British people to switch to the American system. Americans sometimes have a tough time, I had an American friend at St Andrews who is an intelligent girl, but got a II.II for law which basically cut of her chances to become a lawyer in UK. If your daughter wants to do postgraduate she must be sure to choose one of the higher prestige uni's from her list and get a II.i or a first. An extra year could help her adjust to the system and do better in her final exams, so unless there are financial issues I would not look upon the extra year as necessarily a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    Eeeeeeerm - youre wrong about that Exeter is a city, not a town or a village (?!?!?). I'ts not more countryside than city, but the city is surrounded by countryside and the city is very green and historical. Its small for a city - nothing like Wells city, but it is still a city and bigger than most towns.
    Lol I didn't say village but I will say it's a small city

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pendragon)
    If she plans on doing postgraduate then the prestige of her 1st degree uni is paramount. An extra year is not really a problem, unless it is the money you are concerned about. Another point is that making the transition into the British system (even from an IB background) can be tough, just as it is difficult for British people to switch to the American system. Americans sometimes have a tough time, I had an American friend at St Andrews who is an intelligent girl, but got a II.II for law which basically cut of her chances to become a lawyer in UK. If your daughter wants to do postgraduate she must be sure to choose one of the higher prestige uni's from her list and get a II.i or a first. An extra year could help her adjust to the system and do better in her final exams, so unless there are financial issues I would not look upon the extra year as necessarily a bad thing.
    That is a valid point and I just posted a clearing process message, sounds like the good unis may not be available, although UCAS explained that like Lisa, she is holding six choices in reality even though two are selected. I think with IB standing and overseas rates she has an edge, just like a UK student would coming to US. I don't mind the extra year, your schools are far less than US prices but I know she is anxious to get on with it and her career. With the IB programe, of which is a uni level she feels she is already there. So which unis would you recommend for prestige then?

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham all the way... plus it's not in the north... it's in the midlands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaisersalsek)
    Nottingham all the way... plus it's not in the north... it's in the midlands.
    I have heard that the city of Nottingham has some gun issues, in fact a read the papers on line and have noticed that before, wonderful uni but I think I will pass and Lisa already knows of this situation so ruled it out, sorry.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.