The Student Room Group

Help Picking Uni - Assistance Needed

Hey everyone, I'm having a difficult time choosing between which Uni to go through after going through the clearing process. I've narrowed it down to 2, and since I only have till tommorow evening to reply some help would be lovely.

GSM (Greenwich School of Management) - Pure Economics BsC - 3 Years
Roehampton - Business Management & Economics - 3 Years

I'm finding it difficult to choose for a variety of reasons. GSM is very close to my house, perhaps a 15 minute drive so that is a plus for that, its a unrecognised uni but when you graduate it says plymouth university on the certificate so that isn't too bad either, pure economics is also pretty viable. The downside is that it is very new and no one knows anything about it. I have no idea what it is like, or the teaching or the likes. Roehampton seems to be a good choice but the course may not be as viable to employers (No idea?) and also there is a further way to travel. Though the course maybe is more fun.

Is there a big difference to employers between the two?
I'm having a really hard time picking, any personal opinions or even what you would pick in my situation would be great.
Also - does anyone know anything about greenwhich school of management? at all?!

Thanks.
Reply 1
Honestly, I had no idea this GSM place existed O.o
But I have heard of roehampton. Have u perhaps checked league tables? And also, for GSM, why not search on google random words like "Greenwich school of management answers" / "GSM experiences" etc etc.
Also, I dunno if this will help, but check out some youtube videos regarding the uni's. sometimes students post their opinions on them, which can help you maybe?

I don't know what to suggest tbh, but that league tables is what I've been looking out for recently. search on yahoo the uni names too.

That's all I got tbh. :smile:
I think, when it comes down to it, you really need to know the structure and content of both courses, and pick which you think will be the most interesting to study. Employers like people who are actually enthusiastic about what they're doing, so picking the most appealing course to you will be a big help there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by deryaya
Honestly, I had no idea this GSM place existed O.o
But I have heard of roehampton. Have u perhaps checked league tables? And also, for GSM, why not search on google random words like "Greenwich school of management answers" / "GSM experiences" etc etc.
Also, I dunno if this will help, but check out some youtube videos regarding the uni's. sometimes students post their opinions on them, which can help you maybe?

I don't know what to suggest tbh, but that league tables is what I've been looking out for recently. search on yahoo the uni names too.

That's all I got tbh. :smile:

I'm not really a fan of league tables since they're not particularly accurate unless you're looking at specific sections. Oh & GSM isn't on there! :O (Maybe because its private?)
Thanks for your suggestions though I'll check it out!
Reply 4
i honestly feel its up to the individual you could go to the best university out there and not put the effort in and not achieve to the best of your ability. Good luck picking your uni am sure you will pick the "RIGHT" ( if there is such a thing lol) work hard but again back to my view don't worry to much about the uni focus on the input you will put in good luck again
Reply 5
Original post by PaperclipBadger
I think, when it comes down to it, you really need to know the structure and content of both courses, and pick which you think will be the most interesting to study. Employers like people who are actually enthusiastic about what they're doing, so picking the most appeal course to you will be a big help there.

Thanks for the advice buddy.
Reply 6
Original post by Athina23
i honestly feel its up to the individual you could go to the best university out there and not put the effort in and not achieve to the best of your ability. Good luck picking your uni am sure you will pick the "RIGHT" ( if there is such a thing lol) work hard but again back to my view don't worry to much about the uni focus on the input you will put in good luck again

I agree, but I really want to know if the latter is less attractive to employers than pure economics in general.
Reply 7
Original post by TheSupremeOne
Hey everyone, I'm having a difficult time choosing between which Uni to go through after going through the clearing process. I've narrowed it down to 2, and since I only have till tommorow evening to reply some help would be lovely.

GSM (Greenwich School of Management) - Pure Economics BsC - 3 Years
Roehampton - Business Management & Economics - 3 Years

I'm finding it difficult to choose for a variety of reasons. GSM is very close to my house, perhaps a 15 minute drive so that is a plus for that, its a unrecognised uni but when you graduate it says plymouth university on the certificate so that isn't too bad either, pure economics is also pretty viable. The downside is that it is very new and no one knows anything about it. I have no idea what it is like, or the teaching or the likes. Roehampton seems to be a good choice but the course may not be as viable to employers (No idea?) and also there is a further way to travel. Though the course maybe is more fun.

Is there a big difference to employers between the two?
I'm having a really hard time picking, any personal opinions or even what you would pick in my situation would be great.
Also - does anyone know anything about greenwhich school of management? at all?!

Thanks.

GSM is pretty good, hence why its seen kinda separately, good careers department as its geared towards you guys as they have a separate campus from my understanding.
What were your grades? You could try qmul or even kent?
Hello,

GSM London is a private school of higher education, our degrees are awarded by Plymouth University. All this means is that you study on one of our campuses and then graduate with a Plymouth University Degree, your graduation ceremony will also be held at Plymouth.

Although we are a smaller institution, we do have smaller class sizes which means there is more time available with Lecturers.

If you have any questions about anything, please call us on 0208 516 7800 and we will be happy to help.

Thanks,

GSM London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending