Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi quick question,

I'm an American student who just finished high school who will be attending King's College London for medicine this fall. I was wondering how graduating from a UK medical school will affect getting specialty training after F1 and F2 as I understand foundation training isn't that hard to procure provided you do well on the exam and in school. (I realize I'm taking that for granted)...

I guess my question is; even though I wont be a UK/EU citizen, will graduating from a UK medical school give me an advantage over other graduates from other EU countries when it comes to applying to specialty training after foundation years? Also what are the chances that I get foundation training and specialty training considering that I'm not a UK/EU citizen?

Thanks!
    • PS Reviewer

(Original post by GRNS)
    Hi quick question,

I'm an American student who just finished high school who will be attending King's College London for medicine this fall. I was wondering how graduating from a UK medical school will affect getting specialty training after F1 and F2 as I understand foundation training isn't that hard to procure provided you do well on the exam and in school. (I realize I'm taking that for granted)...

I guess my question is; even though I wont be a UK/EU citizen, will graduating from a UK medical school give me an advantage over other graduates from other EU countries when it comes to applying to specialty training after foundation years? Also what are the chances that I get foundation training and specialty training considering that I'm not a UK/EU citizen?

Thanks!
    As things stand, you will still be at a disadvantage as you will be classed as an international student. On that front, EU students are classed as 'home' students; despite this, it is not easy for them either. You will have preference over international students without a UK degree but that is about it. You never know, things may well change in 5/6 years but if they do, I would suggest it would be even worse...

ReputationRep:
    Would you say that when applying, citizenship plays a major factor even if an applicant were to have better grades or a better application? I don't think I would be subject to the resident-market labor test, correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GRNS)
    Would you say that when applying, citizenship plays a major factor even if an applicant were to have better grades or a better application? I don't think I would be subject to the resident-market labor test, correct?
    The UKFPO sponsors you for the 2 year foundation programme: http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.u...faqs#answer283

As of right now, you won't be subject to the residential labour market test if you graduate from a UK medical school.To apply for the training posts though, you would have to switch your visa to Tier 2. To do this, someone has to sponsor you. This is the bit I'm also pretty confused about; who sponsors you? :confused: I'm guessing the hospital does. I'm trying to find the right person to ask this question to..think I might email one of the deaneries. Anyway, this might help: http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.u...faqs#answer283

I'm not sure if being a UK medical school graduate will give you a particular advantage over people from the EU, but I've heard all graduates are guaranteed a space in the foundation programme, possibly because completing the 2 years is what gives you full registration with the GMC and a licence to practise. Can't imagine the programme not being guaranteed to all graduates, including non-EEA graduates as that would mean 5 years has gone to waste and they can't practise as a doctor!

I've heard that all graduates have the same shot at the specialty training posts. The fact that you're international doesn't seem to be a problem when obtaining one of those posts. The main problem seems to be competition. Certain posts (especially some of the surgery ones :eek:) are hard to get because so many people want to do them. Apparently you do get something as you pick specialties and locations in order of preference (no idea how it exactly works unfortunately). I'm pretty sure about everything up till the end of the foundation programme, but not entirely sure about what happens after that.

Hope that helps!

Edit: I just realised you probably know all about the foundation programme and the sponsorship stuff. Sorry. I put it in anyway just incase. I'll add on to this thread once I get a definite process for specialty training for non-EEA graduates.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, thank you so much for taking the time to write the reply. I was actually unaware of the sponsorship and the Tier 2 visa switching. Thanks again and if you get the other information would really appreciate it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that you 'match' for ST years. So you rate the ST posts in order of preference and then same thing with your city or area, and then the best people get both of what they want, the good people get close to what they want, etc...
    Does that help? I'd ask again because I've only heard this but I think it's right.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.